A few thoughts on AKG K-1000's
Feb 27, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #31 of 39
Oki Doky~~~~Here is the spec of this earpiece that
recently knock the good-old 600 off the desk and got'emself on
my one and only STAX headphone stand.

Type : Dynamic tranducer with VLD Magnet
Frequency Response : 30 - 25,000 Hz
Rated Impedance : 120 Ohm
Sensitivity (dB) : 74dB for 1mW (free field)
Power Requirement : 100mW
Power Rating : 1000mW

And this is simple algebra someone
On the premise that we need power-guzzing monoblock to drive this stuff ~~~~
8 Ohm=8 W,16 Ohm=4 W,32 Ohm=2 W,64 Ohm=1 W,128 Ohm=0.5W...
and so on~~~So It says that we need amp excretes minimum of 0.5W to drive this thing. I think he got this Idea from the original k1000 exclusive Amp which absolutely doesn't have any ability to drive even little tiny bookshelf speaker.
Well what do ya all know,,,,,, It sounds good enough to
talking about sound quality level w/ other references. So we believe it's really digging earspeakers full potential. and believe or not it sound better than cary. And It's better dynamics and low frequence control of the k1000 you want, then vintage is definately not the way to go. IMHO highspeed Amp w/ buffered output is highly recommanded. Well as you all know.biggest secret of the amp is decent separate-channel regulated power unit to provide stable and quality current.
Like I always protest~we get good health and skintone when blood is clean.
love that k1000~~

p.s: gotta do somethig to that cheesy cable. I'll try bunch and wlll post later......

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
Ways to improve bass response:
Keeping the panels close to the ear increases the local pressure, and thereby improves bass response.

Closing off the gap around the panels creates a boundary which results in local pressure reinforcement. Lean your head back against a pillow or cushion and listen to what happens.

gerG

Ultimately, isn't it all about which tradeoffs you are willing to accept? For example, if you keep the panels close to the ear you may increase bass response but reduce spaciousness. Isn't this true also for the components you use to drive the AKGs or any other headphones? In other words, don't compensations made in one area introduce problems/issues/tradeoffs someplace else? So, if the lack of bass (perceived or not) in the AKG K-1000s is a problem, instead of trying to solve the problem by using an amp that compensates (to the degree that it can) for the problem, shouldn't you just try another pair of phones?

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #33 of 39
BUMP!

Nobody seems to have read AKG's opinion on rotating the headphones re: storage.......

Karl Peschel from AKG's technical department in Austria had this to say on the matter, and I quote his e-mail:

"Hello Mike,

You are certainly right that after a certain period of use the sound may change. It's difficult to evaluate this change as it is certainly in a region where only users with very good ears and a critical and objective sense of listening will detect the difference. Technically it can be explained that the compliance of the membrane get's better with time and hours of use and thus the sound gets more richness and width in frequency response. I have not heard this about the 501 in particular, so I really appreciate your comments and will also pass it on to our R&D people. We for instance know that our K1000 really needs such a burn-in period and furthermore audiophile users regularily change the storage position of the K1000 in order to avoid that the capsule's voice coil gets off centered or the diaphragm gets an irregular shape. Such precautions certainly are not necessary with the 501 as the membrane is much lighter.

Thank's again and many kind regards from Austria

Karl"

Pinkie.

Apr 2, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #34 of 39
Originally posted by PinkFloyd
BUMP!

Nobody seems to have read AKG's opinion on rotating the headphones re: storage.......

i just read it and as a new K1000 owner, I am not crazy about this idea.
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
We for instance know that our K1000 really needs such a burn-in period and furthermore audiophile users regularily change the storage position of the K1000 in order to avoid that the capsule's voice coil gets off centered or the diaphragm gets an irregular shape.

I'm trying to figure out what this means, exactly. As a guess, does it mean that one day you store them lying down on one side, while the next day you store them lying down on the other side? Or does it mean that one day you store them hanging on some type of hook and the next day you store them upside down?

Apr 2, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
How long before someone converts a rotiserie into a K1000 storage unit?
biggrin.gif

I tried that--couldn't close the door so I gave up.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
How long before someone converts a rotiserie into a K1000 storage unit?
biggrin.gif

What's the optimum storage temperature?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back