A few rookie questions and a tentative budget setup for mp3 player
Oct 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ddan49

New Head-Fier
So this setup will play music from an iPod, probably through an mp3 cable (through an auxiliary cable). 

I've picked out the newer version of the Lepai (http://www.amazon.com/Version-Upgraded-LP-2020A-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=pd_cp_e_0) amp most people recommend (should I get the older, potentially more reliable version? (http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-TA2020-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1318207920&sr=1-1-catcorr)).

I've also picked out the Micca MB42 (http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B009IUIV4A/ref=pd_sim_MI_3) bookshelf speakers. 

I have a few quick questions.

1) Will the fact that I'm playing from an mp3 player hurt the sound quality substantially?

2) Is it possible to add in a subwoofer to the Lepai afterwards? I noticed it's only got Right and Left outputs (this is a dumb question, I know), and no sub out. Also, will it have enough power to power a subwoofer (not sure how many watts, but a typical budget well-reviewed woofer like Polk PSW10 or something)?

3) Also, would it be better to get Pioneer BS22s now and forego a subwoofer completely? I realize that you probably won't like this, but I like a really heavy bass sometimes. I'm no audiophile... sometimes I want to listen to something that makes the floor shake. So I do kind of want a subwoofer.

Thank you!

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 10
The Pioneers are definitely better speakers. Definitely could be worth waiting another six months or so to save up for a sub.

Home audio subs like the PSW10 come with their own amp--they don't need anything else to power them.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 10
So you're saying that if I get a sub (I'm looking at the Dayton SUB-1000) that's powered, I don't need the Lenai? I can just use a red/white RCA to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter to hook the mp3 player up directly to the sub, and run both speakers out of it.

I think I might still use the Lenai, even if it's just for volume control and stuff. But I can use (the name escapes me) an audio hub for that, right?

Also, how much better are the Pioneers? They cost twice as much.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 10
No. The sub has its own amp to power the sub. It will not power the speakers.

The Pioneers are considered one of the best speakers one can buy in their price range just as the Miccas are at their price.

The Dayton SUB1000 is a very good sub.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 10
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462834/micca-mb-42-bookshelf-speaker-is-this-any-good

Here's someone comparing BS22 to the Micca's I found. Wouldn't completely rely on that but it can still be worth something. I checked the speakers sensitivity and they are both rated at 85dB/watt I think. Both a little unsensitive for that little amp, but enough to fill a small room. 

You might just wanna get the cheaper Micca's, and add a subwoofer when you can afford it.

1) Will the fact that I'm playing from an mp3 player hurt the sound quality substantially?

That iPod has a good enough dac for this kind of a system, so nope. Not completely sure if it can feed enough power to the Lepais RCA inputs though? 

2) Is it possible to add in a subwoofer to the Lepai afterwards?

Yes, there are several ways to do this. Either by splitting the RCA's to the sub and the Lepai, or by routing wires from your speakers to the sub. (Your sub needs to have a high level input for this, cheapest subs dont have this feature.)

3) Also, would it be better to get Pioneer BS22s now and forego a subwoofer completely? I realize that you probably won't like this, but I like a really heavy bass sometimes. I'm no audiophile... sometimes I want to listen to something that makes the floor shake. So I do kind of want a subwoofer.

Probably not. Those Pioneers barely play below 70hz. You will be missing almost two bottom octaves. Get the sub!

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
I think I'll get the sub with the Miccas. So by splitting the RCAs to the sub and Lepai do you mean like a red to the Lepai and a white to the sub? Sorry, you've noticed I'm pretty new to this.

What level of input does the sub need for this? I'm looking at the Dayton SUB1000. If I route L/R speaker wire from the Lepai to the sub, and then route out L/R speaker wire to my Miccas, I should be good, right? That's what those (ports? I'm from the computer hardware world) are for, right?

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Split the audio input coming from your computer and run it to both the Dayton sub and the Lepai. Once you get the sub and Lepai configured so that the bass matches up, you will need to use your computer to control the volume.

OR

Run the speaker left/right outputs from the Lepai to the speaker inputs on the sub, then the speaker outputs on the sub to the speakers. This has the advantage of allowing you to control the sub volume with the Lepai if you like (but not required).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back