A few questions regarding Fiio E17K and Schiit Magni Amp.
Aug 8, 2018 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bhima

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I'm considering making the jump to the Schiit Magni amp as the E17K might not be driving my new AKG K7XX to their potential (Have to set the gain to +12db, volume up to around 80% to get it to a decent listening level). Sound is good, but it doesn't feel as spacious as I think these headphones can go.

So my first question is: Would a better Amp help to increase the space/soundstage if the headphones aren't getting quite the juice they want? Is the E17K powering these headphones properly? (E17K is 200mW @ 32OHMS, I think the K7XX are 62OHMS)

If the answer is that a beefier amp will make a difference, my next question is:
Can I connect my Fiio E17K as a pure DAC to the Schiit Magni Amp? If so, how? There are 4 inputs on the Fiio E17K: USB, Coax In, some other 3.5mm jack in the middle which makes no sense to me (possibly the aux), and a headphone jack.

I'm not sure I can connect the E17K as a pure DAC, likely will have to connect the headphone jack to the Input on the Magni via 3.5mm to RCA (making the E17K act as a pre-amp of sorts). Not sure this is the ideal way to do it though. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey all,

So I'm considering making the jump to the Schiit Magni amp as the E17K might not be driving my new AKG K7XX to their potential (Have to set the gain to +12db, volume up to around 80% to get it to a decent listening level). Sound is good, but it doesn't feel as spacious as I think these headphones can go.

That's pretty loud.
Are you sure everything in your computer is set at 100%?

So my first question is: Would a better Amp help to increase the space/soundstage if the headphones aren't getting quite the juice they want? Is the E17K powering these headphones properly? (E17K is 200mW @ 32OHMS, I think the K7XX are 62OHMS)

Yes, but it's not a 'juice' thing. Get a technically superior headphone amplifier and you can improve soundstage, power used will be the same, but performace can be superior. Keep in mind differences among properly engineered solidstate gear aren't that big.
When it comes to soundstage, the Asgard 2 is (in my experience) a more significant improvement over the cheaper Magni.

If the answer is that a beefier amp will make a difference, my next question is:
Can I connect my Fiio E17K as a pure DAC to the Schiit Magni Amp? If so, how? There are 4 inputs on the Fiio E17K: USB, Coax In, some other 3.5mm jack in the middle which makes no sense to me (possibly the aux), and a headphone jack.

You can use the E17K as a pure DAC because it has a line out (3.5mm) so all you need is a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable.

I'm not sure I can connect the E17K as a pure DAC, likely will have to connect the headphone jack to the Input on the Magni via 3.5mm to RCA (making the E17K act as a pre-amp of sorts). Not sure this is the ideal way to do it though. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

A DAC's output is analog (it's a digital to analog converter after all).
That's why it's output (lie out) comes in the form of a 3.5mm analog jack (or RCA analog outputs on bigger designs)
That's the way it is.

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 5
That's pretty loud.
Are you sure everything in your computer is set at 100%?
Yes. I have my E17K also at +12dB gain, and sound level is between 50-55 (Max is 60 as you likely know).
Yes, but it's not a 'juice' thing. Get a technically superior headphone amplifier and you can improve soundstage, power used will be the same, but performace can be superior. Keep in mind differences among properly engineered solidstate gear aren't that big.
When it comes to soundstage, the Asgard 2 is (in my experience) a more significant improvement over the cheaper Magni.
Nice. Now to find a physical store that actually sells this stuff :wink:
You can use the E17K as a pure DAC because it has a line out (3.5mm) so all you need is a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable.
I'm assuming the line out is the jack in the middle between the headphone and the coax in, right?
A DAC's output is analog (it's a digital to analog converter after all).
That's why it's output (lie out) comes in the form of a 3.5mm analog jack (or RCA analog outputs on bigger designs)
That's the way it is.
That's fine. i just want to know if there is a way to not force the E17K to use its amp if I'm attaching it already to a better amp.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm assuming the line out is the jack in the middle between the headphone and the coax in, right?
Yes, that's the Line Out.

That's fine. i just want to know if there is a way to not force the E17K to use its amp if I'm attaching it already to a better amp.
The Line Out is the DAC's output, specifically designed to use the E17K as a dedicated DAC combined with external amplification.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 5

A better amp can help but the imaging isn't a matter of power quantity but quality. More channel separation, lower overall distortion ie flatter response, even lower noise, etc.

I'd probably just stick with the E17K and save up for something like a Meier Jazz FF.

Thats the line in/out port. Check the manual in case you have to select which one it should work as on the E17K or if it automatically works as line output when you have digital input into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back