A few questions about the Panasonic HJE900
Jan 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eahea3174

New Head-Fier
These are available for $250 right now. 

From reading the reviews of these on this site, I've gathered that these used to sell for $110~$120? 

Were these discontinued? Is that why the cost doubled? 

Would anybody still recommend them at their current selling price?

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 11

These are available for $250 right now. 

From reading the reviews of these on this site, I've gathered that these used to sell for $110~$120? 

Were these discontinued? Is that why the cost doubled? 

Pretty much.

Would anybody still recommend them at their current selling price?

@ $250? Hell no! ~$110-$120? Definitely.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 11
$250 was their retail price. Amazon japan still sells the white version for this price. Some sellers bought them from the manufacturer in a high price so probably they dont want to lower their price.
If you want them, you can buy them $140 from this shop. Its the lower i have found lately.
Personally i think there are better options in this price though. At least its not a rip off as i2ehan said.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 11
I've listened to them. They are great, but only around $90-110. That's just what I'd value the sound at. They sound like Monster Turbine Pro Copper, with less detail/clarity, and more soundstage. The Yamaha EPH-100 are a great choice for an "off brand value" now, like the Panasonic HJE900 used to be. I'm listening to them and they're flooring me with their tight bass and soundstage; I'll be making a review soon.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 11
At $110-$120 theyre pretty much competing with the similarly "in-yo-face" sounding JVC FXT90; if I had to make the choice between the two id take the FXT90s because of the more forward mids. Take that with a bag of salt though because I havent heard the HJEs in almost a year
redface.gif

I believe theres a guy in the for sale forums selling the HJEs for 85 bucks, thats a great value right there, if theyre still available

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 11
The MEElec A161s which I expect will soon be released in the $100-$120 range is another competitor, so I suggest that you wait for reviews before pulling the trigger.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 11
So you don't expect the A161 to replace the A151? I was under the impression that the A161 would replace it, and it would sell for the price the A151 is selling for now, around $50. If it will priced so much higher than the A151 then I would assume that the A151 won't be discontinued.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
$250 was their retail price. Amazon japan still sells the white version for this price. Some sellers bought them from the manufacturer in a high price so probably they dont want to lower their price.
If you want them, you can buy them $140 from this shop. Its the lower i have found lately.
Personally i think there are better options in this price though. At least its not a rip off as i2ehan said.

You better call them, instead of buying it through their website. A few sites like this (they are legit), but they don't have actual item; they will order it for you, as long as Panasonic doesn't officially discontinue it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Another that you may consider & has been compared to the Panasonic HJE900 & better - YAMAHA EPH-100

Quote:tienbasse
Something sounded different this time, something familiar, especially with guitar, percussion and male voices. Then I realized: it sounded like Panasonic HJE-900, with very forward mids and bass, great instrument separation to listen to guitar, male voices and low-pitch percussions, but with more clarity than the Panas and much more tamed treble.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 11
i wouldnt recommend this at all now...the price is too high for its performance, though this one has one of the best timbre.
its sibilant sometimes, which is too annoying in the long run.
better get the cc51 by meelec, than this!

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 11
In the price range that the OP is looking at, right now, I'd say HA-FXT90 or EPH-100 if you're a dynamic sound fan.
HJE-900, which were my first WOW-factor IEMs 2 years, would not be worth more than 100$ right now. Too sibilant in the highs.
Both IEMs listed above will provide you a comparable dynamic experience without the screaming treble and with more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back