A few questions about my westone 4s
Sep 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

moot11

New Head-Fier
Before I start, I just wanted to mention that I'm not an audiophile. But I can pretty consistently disguise between 128, 192, and 320 kbps MP3s. A while ago I bought an Sen. 598 and I was blown away. I was hearing things I never noticed before on my ipod headphones, and the audio was so clear and crisp. I felt like I was listening to performance in my living room. 

Recently, I decided to upgrade to a Westone 4. I purchased it from "Video & Audio Center" for $450. When I listened a couple of MP3 files @ 320k, I was pretty disappointed. I know I'm going to sound crazy, but I don't feel like it sounds good as my HD 598, and that was only 100 bucks. 

I usually listen to Jazz, vocal jazz, acoustic piano, classical, and pop. music. 

So a few questions:

1) Is it possible I bought a fake? The Amazon seller profile says that Video and Audio Center is a authorized factory re-seller for all their branded items. 
2) Should I get a portable amp? If so, which one? I'm usually listening on my laptop. 
3) Is 320k MP3 too low? Should I only be listening to CDs/lossless?

Video and Audio Center: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&orderID=104-4740081-9374655&marketplaceSeller=0&seller=A13ACIRM091OJE

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 4
An amp could help, but I felt similar when I first got my W4. They aren't headphones that are going to wow you. I would give them some time, and then if you don't like them, maybe you just don't like the sound signature. The W4's sound flat, and even lifeless at lower volumes. They come to life at medium-higher volumes. Still, definitely not for everyone. The W4 is an incredible IEM, but not everyone is going to like them.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what you about the 598 vs the W4. What does the 598 do that you like? What don't you like about the W4's sound? Too boring? Not enough bass? Not enough treble? etc.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
sorry off topic but where did you get 598s for $100?

I purchased it on Ebay! It's also 141 dollars on Amazon, used.

Quote:
An amp could help, but I felt similar when I first got my W4. They aren't headphones that are going to wow you. I would give them some time, and then if you don't like them, maybe you just don't like the sound signature. The W4's sound flat, and even lifeless at lower volumes. They come to life at medium-higher volumes. Still, definitely not for everyone. The W4 is an incredible IEM, but not everyone is going to like them.
It would be helpful if you could tell us what you about the 598 vs the W4. What does the 598 do that you like? What don't you like about the W4's sound? Too boring? Not enough bass? Not enough treble? etc.

Thanks for the reply!

I really like the sound stage of the 598s. I feel like it makes the music I listen to very vibrant, and clear. I'm able to hear every note and every detail so clearly. I feel like "flat" and "lifeless" is also how I would describe the westone 4, as well. But I am listening to it at the office, so the volume is pretty low, so I can hear my phone. I'll crank it up and see how it goes. 

One of the main reasons I bought a westone 4 is because I was told it has a great sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back