A few questions about Essence STX, Forte and CALs
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #31 of 52

Quote:
EFX is part of OpenAL which can also run many other effects sets such as EAX.  If EAX is fading out it is being replaced by OpenAL based effect routines.  Many new games also come with interal effects engines needing no external hardware.  These are features some want and some don't just depends on what you do with your system and what your needs are.  There is no perfect suggestions for everybody, some are better using DAC's some are better with soundcards and some use both!

Thanks for clarifying the EFX part; I didn't know that. It's true that everyone needs something different. But, if you only need good sound quality (no mic input, sound effects, etc.), external seems the way to go.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #32 of 52

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying the EFX part; I didn't know that. It's true that everyone needs something different. But, if you only need good sound quality (no mic input, sound effects, etc.), external seems the way to go.

No problem.  To clarify a bit, EAX itself is an effect set; that can run on many different API's.  In XP it was running on the direct sound API, in Vista and above it can run on the OpenAL API and still have hardware acceleration. 
OpenAL is a audio API, so it can run any number of effect sets such as EAX,EFX and any new ones they comes up with.  I have tested a great deal on internal and external and still haven't found one to be superior to the other.  IMO, it depends on the unit.  You have good and bad internals and good and bad externals.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #34 of 52
Well, so far the only suggestion besides the essence and the forte is that external EMU0404.

The first impression i get about that last one its that it has a lot of buttons that i wont probably ever use and that its a bit expensive, but in the line of the essence. Maybe if i get an used one...

Anyways i'll do some research to see how it performs and compares with the rest and then come back here.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #35 of 52
maybe you missed my last post, but I think you should really look into the audinst...it does everything you want, has rollable opamps and doesn't need drivers. the 0404USB drivers are terrible, they only bit-match ASIO so for DS/KS/WASAPI you have to change the masterclock manually...just like on the X-Fi you mentioned. Also the 0404USB is full of crappy sounding 5532 opamps.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #37 of 52

Quote:
Your endpoint will always bottleneck your dac. Even if it's onboard. And it's a Creative endpoint... rofl.

Erm...  You are aware that the CAL! are made by Fostex - and it's the same OEM model as the Denon AH-D1001 - just with Creative stamped on it?

That's not to say the CAL!s are great gaming headphones though...

Gaming audio engines are generally not geared to headphone use, although there are exceptions.  DH (and CMSS-3D for that matter but I prefer the former) does a very decent job of making soundstage in game more realistic with headphones.  Have a look at 'the Holy Grail of Gaming Audio' thread over in the full size headphone forum.

I will concur with Dalamar and Lee Perry on one thing though.  Asus's drivers have generally been very disappointing for gaming.  It's historically taken months for them to release simple fixes for games.  I've found X-Fi's to be much more user friendly gaming cards.  Setting up Creative's Alchemy once for each game is so much easier than remembering whether GX should be on or off for each game you own.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #39 of 52
The audinst looks good, but i cannot find any performance or feature reviews gaming wise.

So far i presume that the dac part improves sound quality and reduces noise, and the amp part just increases volume... but what can i specifically expect from it after spending the 140€?

How will it perform in games? Will it improve the stereo surround on my headphones? What about Dolby Headphone? will it bring that one or any other similar stuff?.

Any feedback from people who actually game with this one and can compare it to hardware specifically designed for gaming will be really welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #40 of 52

Quote:

you never give up, eh? I passed your 5532 blind test, and you're still calling bs on everything? does it make you feel good somehow? so you've had an STX and a NG98, and you know everything about audio...am I getting this right?

My test wasn't serious, it was just a tool for people to see how small the difference is going after 2 conversions from the digital -> analog -> digital. In fact, that test is a perfect example of how not to set up a blind test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far i presume that the dac part improves sound quality and reduces noise, and the amp part just increases volume... but what can i specifically expect from it after spending the 140€?

How will it perform in games? Will it improve the stereo surround on my headphones? What about Dolby Headphone? will it bring that one or any other similar stuff?.

Any feedback from people who actually game with this one and can compare it to hardware specifically designed for gaming will be really welcome.

1. Most differences between dacs are at an inaudible level, and the difference is never night and day, not even for my onboard vs my Essence. If your onboard is terrible a $80ish card may be in order - but typically, I'd say it's not worth the buy unless you've got audible interference issues - like I had before my Essence. Same goes for external DACs.

2. Pretty much all cards/dacs should sound identical in games, but the CMSS3d effect in the drivers for X-FI chipset based cards like Auzentech's may help improve positioning. It's been a very long time since I used a creative card, but if I recall right the height positioning on my Audigy was better, and it seemed like the dynamic range was compressed, raising the volume of quiet things like footsteps. But that was a long long time ago, back when EAX was mandatory for decent game audio.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #41 of 52

I'm sure there's a thread here on HF, go ask owners :wink:

if you like DH, get a CMI8788 board then...but in the long run you might get bored of its highly colored hollow reverb. AFAIK, games have been running their own audio engines for a while now...and OpenAL is widely supported and works on any hardware.

the difference is never night and day, not even for my onboard vs my Essence.

This is true, but many external DAC's kill the STX hahaha.

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #42 of 52

Quote:

1. Most differences between dacs are at an inaudible level, and the difference is never night and day, not even for my onboard vs my Essence.

Ouch.

That sounds like its not worth  spending 140€, much less 180€. And about the Essence, that's quite different from what i have read in Guru3d for instance:

Quote:

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Music just seemed to take on a new life with this card.  I gleefully auditioned this card for all who entered my home and consistently picked up their bottom jaw off the floor after a quick listen.  [/size][/size]

I'm extremely confused and lost right now ^^

I actually have some noise when i turn my volume high, but 140€ just to get no noise does not seem worth to me... I was actually hoping for that "night and day" difference in audio quality and positioning.

Btw, i know the Audinst is usb, but since it has the dual rca out (the red and white) i wonder if it is also possible to cconect it to the onboard sound or maybe to another soundcard.

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #45 of 52
@Nicolasete, You might want to speak with people who have actually tested some external DAC's.
If you can test them yourself then that would be the best possible situation.
Do some research on the units your interested in and spend your money after you have made a thorough comparison.  I wil say that if you think you will hear night and day differences, chance are you may be dissapointed.  Even less with DAC's in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back