A few questions about dac/amp, Shiit, linux knowledge appreciated but not necessary.
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drjoms

New Head-Fier
I have had Shiit Fulla for about a year.
I was very happy with it. It basically was my main DAC(and amp for my Senheiser open cans) for Windows work related laptop/Linux desktop.

It's mic input started to fail. I am no friend of DYI.

I am thinking to give Shiit second chance. Should I? USB appliance that died a year later?

I need mic for work and otherwise. I MUST HAVE IT. So I am looking at Shiit Hel.
I am confused with https://www.schiit.com/products/hel-2. It says in specs section: "USB Input: 48kHz". SAAAAY WHAT? Is it a misspelling? Do I fail to understand something?

Fulla was not having any 'software' controls on Linux. It has a knob at least, but still.(i am talking about ALSA and not Pulse Audio) It was a bit annoying.

I am opened to other suggestions, ESPECIALLY from fellow Linux nerds.

I prefer USB, as I can easilly switch my USB3 Hub from PC to laptop with all DAC/keyboard/mice/webcams/bells/whistles.

I am hapilly looking at Linux supported DAC and AMP as unbundled solution.

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, 48k usb INPUT is for the HEL-2, which is ADC, or analog-to-digital-conversion, or process of converting analog signals to digital signals, like tape or vinyl to FLAC. However, before you chunk your Schiit Fulla, look at this article and change the needed settings:

https://opensource.com/article/17/4/fun-new-gadget
I am Linux ultra nerd. I have read this article before long time ago.
Likely was reason why I got my Fulla Shiit 2.
I know problem I have is hardware - same issue between different OS.
And it comes and goes. Not only that but comes and goes same tame on different OS.

Mic is checked on 2 other devices and it 100% works.

Not an alsa/pulse issue. I am familiar with .asoundrc file. More than I would like to admit.
Any thought on Hel from Shiit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back