A few questions about custom moulds
Sep 6, 2008 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dmbphan041

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm thinking of possibly going to custom route for IEMs but I've heard they're only good for around 3 years since your ears outgrow them, any truth to this?

Also, does price equal quality (ie an $100 pair will sound like crap and a $1000 will sound amazing?)--> Can one get a pair of custom moulds for, say, under $200 or do you have to spend a ridiculous amount of money?

Can anyone recommend a good place to get customs in Toronto? I guess I have to find an audiologist too eh?

thanks!

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fungi?

yea I'm a fun guy.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbphan041 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

I'm thinking of possibly going to custom route for IEMs but I've heard they're only good for around 3 years since your ears outgrow them, any truth to this?

Depends on how fast your ears grow. If you have passed your mid twenty than the chance of 5 yrs usage is probably good, than again, it very from person to person.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 7
I am 22, and if my ear canals do grow, I don't mind getting a remold, I don't think Freq charges too much. The Freqshow is the best audio purchase I have ever made, all the other earphones I've owned do not come close the to comfort, fit, and sound it offers(HD 650, Grado SR-225, Triple Fi, Super Fi, Shure EC5, ER4p).

If I do need a refit down the road, I would not mind paying for it, I simply cannot find anything better for the price of the Freqshows.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Beside the future risk of outgrowing ears, the more important risk to be considered is getting a good fit. While there are people who get a good fit on the first few trials, there are people who could not get a satisfying fit no matter how many refit they tried.

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Yea, that is another thing to think about. I was really lucky to get mine right the first time, but then I had really good impressions done from an audiologist that do alot of impressions for IEM customers.

Getting customs will potentially give you many headaches and disappointments, not to mention shipping costs, should the earphones not fit. But then again, if they do fit like mine did, it'll make you ridiculously happy. Mine Freqshows are ridiculously comfortable, they stay put no matter how wide I open my mouth, and they sound amazing (they are pretty looking to boot!).

I think the risk is worth it, and do remember, the chances of them fitting is higher than not fitting.

dsc0004version2yv8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back