A few pics of my borrowed Beyerdynamic Headzone!
Dec 20, 2006 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
I actually got to borrow one of the first Beyerdynamic Headzones in the country for testing. We've got a cool Beyer-distributor over here. :)

For those who don't know, the Headzone is Beyers take on surround-sound in headphones. However, they did NOT just add a cheap reverb-box to an existing headphone...

This is the Pro-version, meant for surround-mastering with phones. I don't know the price of this kit, but it might be well over $1000.
You can get digital 5.1 sound via the Firewire connection, or you can use the analog 5.1 connectors.

The headtracking-things work just fine. The center-channel stays where you put the external sensor, even if you turn your head. Quite cool :)

I haven't tried it much yet, got some problems with a MacBook, but I'll hook it up to my PC and home theater in the days to come.
I guess I can post some impressions if you want. :)

I can tell you that the DT880 Pro sounds very nice on its own. :wink:

Now some pics.

Here's the base station and the DT880 Pro:

The front of the base station:

The rear of the base station:

The headtracking sensor you put on your TV/Monitor:

It's all packed in a nice softcase:

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 15
Ooh, very nice JensL. I can't wait to hear your impressions on the quality of the virtualization.

Shame the Headzone lacks a digital-out or line-out, I detest 1/4"->RCA adaptors...

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 15
Suddenly I get a flashback: The Jetsons.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks, Knopfy. :)

Any tips on what I should look out for when I'm testing?

Oh...and I couldn't get 6 channels to work with a brand new MacBook (Firewire), only stereo. I've checked every soundsetting I could find (I'm fairly new to Mac OS). The test-sounds (pink noise) worked fine, but with a DVD it didn't work. Tried both DD and DTS.

Can you help?

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame the Headzone lacks a digital-out or line-out, I detest 1/4"->RCA adaptors...

Carl.
Why would you need an output and for what purpose? An loop-thru maby, but output??

All the best, Ketil

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 15
Yea, love to hear your impressions JensL. At that price, you may be one of the very few to ever listen to one.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 15
It looks like the DT880 grew antlers.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 15
The Beyer website says this:

"DT 880 PRO studio headphone (250 ohms) with integrated ultrasonic exciters"

That leads me to beleive that the integrated ultrasonic exciters are not detachable from the DT880 Pro. In other words, will this system ONLY work with these headphones, and no other headphones?

That would be a real shame, IMO. With my stash of headphones, I'll pass on this kind of technology until I can find something that is transferable from one pair of headphones to another. This is why the Smyth technology which has universal application to all headphones seems to hold more promise.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl.
Why would you need an output and for what purpose? An loop-thru maby, but output??

All the best, Ketil

I use electrostatic headphones.

I also dislike Opamp + Delta/Sigma based DACs.

Oh, and while I'm at it: bring back the Beyer ET1000!
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer website says this:

"DT 880 PRO studio headphone (250 ohms) with integrated ultrasonic exciters"

That leads me to beleive that the integrated ultrasonic exciters are not detachable from the DT880 Pro. In other words, will this system ONLY work with these headphones, and no other headphones?

No, you can use whatever headphones with the Headzone box. I've used both the DT770-250 and DT990-32 on it, and it works just fine.

However, you will lose the headtracking feature, but that's not a huge problem, as you still got the "normal" headphone function (not "stationary" speakers).

I took a peek under the headband of the DT880 Pro, and it would be tricky to put the headtracker on a different phone. The cable that runs from the left housing to the right, runs through the tracker.

Please remember that this is a kit meant for professional 5.1 sound engineers, not for consumers.
And it shows.
I have tried the Headzone for some days now, and I don't think I can write a review that makes it justice.
It's not that it is overly complicated, but I've just used it to watch some movies and concerts, not doing any mixing or such.

I'll have to think about writing the review or not.

I can say this, though; Having used the Headzone, I don't think I ever can watch a movie with a headphone again listening to a regular stereo track, or downmixed 5.1.
:wink:

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the Headzone for some days now, and I don't think I can write a review that makes it justice.
It's not that it is overly complicated, but I've just used it to watch some movies and concerts, not doing any mixing or such.

I'll have to think about writing the review or not.

I can say this, though; Having used the Headzone, I don't think I ever can watch a movie with a headphone again listening to a regular stereo track, or downmixed 5.1.
:wink:

In theory at least, virtualization should work just as well with music as it does movies and games. Of course, implementation is a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back