A few pics of my borrowed Beyerdynamic A1.
Jan 11, 2007 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
Here it is, in all its orange glory. :)

The box.

The contents.

Serial no: 1000. The first one. :)

This interconnect was included. Amphenol...sounds like a drug.

Maybe not extremely entertaining to look at, but that really doesn't matter much.
It comes in a greyish colour too.
The orange part is easily removed if you want to customize it, or rackmount the amp (!).

I guess there'll be a more elaborate review in a week or two. :)

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 23
Nice looking amp, is that a loop out? And is the orange enclosure plastic or metal? And does it come in a 120V US version?
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 23
[size=x-large]Very nice!!![/size]

Please let us know how it sounds. Many of us have been waiting for a review this little orange plaything for quite some time now. We're sooo jealous!!!
580smile.gif
basshead.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that a loop out?

Well, the manual says this:
"Output, stereo RCA sockets, looped-through input signal from input 1. At this output you can pick up the audio signal from output 1 and route it to your stereo amplifier, active loudspeakers or other devices with a standard input for high levels."

So I guess the answer is yes?

Quote:

And is the orange enclosure plastic or metal?

It's some sort of plastic, which got a nice, solid feel to it. Almost a little wood-like.

Quote:

And does it come in a 120V US version?
wink.gif

I'm almost sure they got a US-version. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
What purpose does the orange part serve.

It's mostly for covering up the rack-mounting thingies, I guess. It's very easy to remove, only 4 screws on the bottom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Any chance you could open it up?

I don't think I'm allowed. :wink:

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 23
Wow, VERY cool. Can't wait to hear the review!

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard it's about a thousand euro. is that ture?

Awww, dammit! And I was considering a new amp for my DT-990s. It seemed so appropriate to get a Beyer amp for my Beyer cans, but 1000 Euro is waaaay too much
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 23
Well, I recently saw a picture of this new Beyer amp in a german hifi-magazine and found it quite cheap-looking for a 1K€ piece of equipment.
But in your pics it looks even worse ...

Hope it sounds much better than it looks.

It will otherwise have a hard time in the headphone amps market with contenders like Headroom, Headamp, Meier Audio, Ray Samuels and many others that offer at least much more beautifully designed amps for way less.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Yeah, I kinda agree that it might not look like a $1300 amp in the pictures, but it got a nice feel to the pot and buttons. The box itself feels very compact and damned solid.

Also, I would prefer to pay for the best possible sound and build instead of a shiny case, huge wooden knob, mirrors/LEDs for tubes or other "bling".
Just take a look at most of Beyers stuff. It's made to be solid, practical and good sounding without any fuss.
A nice example is the DT100/150 which looks like it was designed in Siberia in the 50s, but it's still used by camera-operators, studio personnel and recording symphony orchestras and others. They outlive most equipment, and still sound great.

I kinda like that no-nonsense, honest approach. It's too rare in todays society.
....even if I've got a A-T W1000 woodie, and like it. :wink:

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 23
I guess the question is, can it hold a candle to similarly priced amps like the new Meier Corda Opera. It certainly has less FEATURES than the Opera. I can't afford to buy one to try it. Now if Beyer wanted to loan ME one, I could make the comparison
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back