A few Lavry DA10 questions from a dac rookie.
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
The DA10 is looking really good to me and I may try to pick up a used one if it ever shows up but I'm not totally clear about a few things. There aren't any rca outs on the back to I'll have to use adapters (xlr to rca right?) and apparently I have to open it up to change to unbalanced mode. Is there any loss of quality in going from xlr to rca since it wasn't intended to do this? Do I need a balanced amp to get everything out of the dac? I want to run it out to my gilmore lite. Also, my computer is where I store all my music in FLAC when possible and I also do pc gaming. Will the DA10 be compatible with every type of sound that can come out of a pc? Enough to be an exclusive pc source? I'll be running optical out from a Xonar Essence stx to the DA10. Thank you and sorry if it's been said before, I just want to be sure.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 6
If you went fully balanced, including with your headphones, there might be some useful improvement, but I wouldn't worry too much about just using RCA out of the Lavry. I have had the odd headphone adaptor that added harshness to the sound because of the metal used, presumably, but haven't experimented much with RCA to XLR adaptors. There are always the Lavry or Cardas adaptors, which aren't as cheap though.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok thanks I just wasn't sure because i thought they put out more power or something which might be more than the inputs on my amp are supposed to take. So the DA10 will work well as a full time sound card as well? This is a big concern for me. I need it to do EVERYTHING since it'll be processing all of my audio including games, music, and movies.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks I just wasn't sure because i thought they put out more power or something which might be more than the inputs on my amp are supposed to take. So the DA10 will work well as a full time sound card as well? This is a big concern for me. I need it to do EVERYTHING since it'll be processing all of my audio including games, music, and movies.

If you are running from STX you should be able to use that for dolby headphone and such for movies prior to analog conversion by lavry. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It wont if you output 5.1. It only handles 2-channel audio. That's not a problem if you only plan to listen to movies, play games etc. in 2 channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back