A dumb question.. :P
Oct 3, 2009 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
Ok this is a dumb question.... but I'm going to buy new stuff, I'm going to buy Grado SR325is, Woo Audio 3+ and a DAC(havn't desided yet). I don't have money for it all at a time, so I have to buy one of these things first.... So my question is: Witch of these things should I buy first to get the best sound at that time ?? :p I have a Auzentech Prelude soundcard, so I can use the Grado headphones alone, use a DAC and then to my HD595 HP's or use the Woo Audio with the HD595's..... The DAC will cost at most 400$, you can give a tip if you like....

I know this is a VERY dumb question.... But I can't deside
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Quite sure I would have purchased the units in this order:
1. Grado SR325is
2. Woo Audio 3+
3. DAC

But then again there are no clear answer, as everyones mileage vary.

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 8
No dumb question...

In my book the audio chain importance goes like this:
  • headphones (speakers)
  • source (DAC, CD, turntable...)
  • amplification
  • everything else (cables, snakeoil...)
I've learned that wrong way: first I got a good amp which revealed that my source isn't up to the task. In turn, when I got a really good DAC the capabilities of my phones were questioned and phones replaced with top ones.

The quantity/quality of SQ improvements goes in opposite direction (as listed): you will benefit most from good headphones. Comparably smaller but significant SQ improvement comes from good source (given that you do not listen to ill produced music from sub-par storage media - f.e. Oasis 128 kbps mp3s). This leaves good amplification as smallest, but still important, SQ jump. After that, if accompanying components (cables...) are not seriously flawed or technically incompetent - you just tune your system to your personal likings.

All this - IMO of course.

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 8
If you're truly in love with SR325 - I have to question why you seek a home amp instead of a portable.......and following that question - why then a separate dac.? I'm not knocking your choice of Woo amp - but, a little surprised you wouldn't prefer a Pico amp/dac as a simpler answer........alternatively, a KICAS Caliente with a Pico dac. - both go very nicely with Grado. No matter what you do - a separate dac is last purchase consideration.
In terms of Grado - better choices are either a used RS-1, or a HF-2. I've found going to a tube amp really paid dividends only when you have a pair of Joe Grado HP-2 (there I go all the way to EAR Hp4/NOS).......at least those are my taste choice.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're truly in love with SR325 - I have to question why you seek a home amp instead of a portable.......and following that question - why then a separate dac.? I'm not knocking your choice of Woo amp - but, a little surprised you wouldn't prefer a Pico amp/dac as a simpler answer........alternatively, a KICAS Caliente with a Pico dac. - both go very nicely with Grado. No matter what you do - a separate dac is last purchase consideration.
In terms of Grado - better choices are either a used RS-1, or a HF-2. I've found going to a tube amp really paid dividends only when you have a pair of Joe Grado HP-2 (there I go all the way to EAR Hp4/NOS).......at least those are my taste choice.

Just because Grado doesn't need the power, I don't have to buy something smaller and without tubes.... And you can't compare buying a Pico Amp/DAC for 400$ and buying Woo Audio 3+ and a seperate DAC for 900$ total...... Pico is not as good sounding....

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Ok, I just have to say that I can't buy the Dac before the Amp... Cuz you can't get any sound without any amp
biggrin.gif
.... The DAC doesn't amp anything (except if it has an amp in it...), I've desided to buy the "MHDT Constantine" and that DAC has no amp.... so have to buy the amp first....
Damn I wanted to have that DAC and the digital cable first... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back