A DIY electrostatic amp for intermediate DIYers?
May 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #496 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have an extra set of boards...
beerchug.gif

Peer pressure is a dirty thing. I'd be happy to take a set to play around with, assuming it's not your personal spare. It should be fun having two DIY Stax amps side by side. Solid-state for the summer to try to cut down on heat sources and the Hybrid for wintertime to keep my room nice and toasty. When the temps break 100, I might have to resort to switching to my dynalo.

May 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #497 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should get the Vulcan boards soon as Marc forgot about me...
redface.gif

Marc has Dynafet Fever - can't blame him, as I started kitting up a 307a amp yesterday - it is a sickness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peer pressure is a dirty thing. I'd be happy to take a set to play around with, assuming it's not your personal spare. It should be fun having two DIY Stax amps side by side. Solid-state for the summer to try to cut down on heat sources and the Hybrid for wintertime to keep my room nice and toasty. When the temps break 100, I might have to resort to switching to my dynalo.

I have them in case we need to try a clean build with work arounds, but if the existing boards will work, no need for me to build a second, as I'm just doing proto duty.

May 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #498 of 593
Quote:

Marc has Dynafet Fever - can't blame him, as I started kitting up a 307a amp yesterday - it is a sickness.

Believe me... I know. Most of today I've been thinking about a mini ES-1 and next job is to check if I have all the parts needed to build one quickly on a perfboard.
ph34r.gif

May 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #499 of 593
Quote:

Marc has Dynafet Fever ...

I think that's goin' around these parts.
biggrin.gif

Probly wont see a cure for at least 6 months.

May 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #500 of 593
Quote:

Now, Nate, about getting four matching quads out of eighty 6s4a....
tongue.gif

We'll figure something out, I'm sure.
evil_smiley.gif

May 9, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #501 of 593
Quote:

Believe me... I know. Most of today I've been thinking about a mini ES-1 and next job is to check if I have all the parts needed to build one quickly on a perfboard.
ph34r.gif

is there an es1 schematic out with resistor values and all? The only one I saw was the one Kevin drew and there were no values written. And in that case, does the es2 run same tubes and topology?

As for dynafet, I wish the new dual-jfet design would get released already.

May 9, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #502 of 593
Here is the original Stax schematic for the amp.

I would perhaps tweak the plate resistors but Mikhail didn't. Well unless running parallel resistors takes some sort of thought besides being cheap and not be willing to pay for more expensive resistors. That schematic is lacking any adjustment for the output tubes so that would have to be added though. The ES-1 and ES-2 are identical.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #503 of 593
The progress of this thread/evolution of ideas was very interesting to read through. Color me very interested in this amp. I just wish I had something more substantial than that to add.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #505 of 593
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I predict you'll have them a week from Friday
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, here is something for Birgir to look forward to... oh, and the final coat of Tung oil just went on, so case will be dry in the morning, so money shot tomorrow EXCEPT for the jack...

vulgar.jpg

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #509 of 593
Quote:

Yay Marc and Al.
tongue_smile.gif

Here's my contribution, a mini ES-1.

Those are just the filaments fired up so now I have to find a working HV supply (I tend to blow them up
frown.gif
) and see if it catches fire or just makes music.

the two pieces of paper under the board has some interesting writing on it, care to share?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back