A discussion of what is "portable"
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love them to, please DONT take them out and I would love to see more around here. I particularly like the 'head turning' one

OEMwJH13silvercablesweb.jpg

this above is about an average size rig for me, I use a bag I got with a portable 2TB hardrive to carry it in summer and often in my coat pocket in winter. I sometimes use my woody denons or HD600 with this as well; I get some looks, but who cares

You rigs are very beatiful. but I think it is not a portable rigs but moveable.

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #17 of 52
Why stop at a car battery? You can get a small gasoline powered generator that can be pulled around on a cart. One of those will easily power a tube amp and you won't have to worry about anything else drawing power off it.

Then again, I find it easiest to simply run IEMs directly off a stock iPod. It sounds good enough and I don't have to tote couple pounds of accessories around.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You rigs are very beatiful. but I think it is not a portable rigs but moveable.

thanks, I think. I dont know why it isnt portable. I think the only definition that makes any sense is something you carry around with you. this rig fits in my pocket, and in a small and yes compact shoulder bag that goes with me everywhere anyway whether it has the rig in it or not. I dont have to think twice about bringing it with me anywhere unless i'm going out to a club or something.

erik; why do you feel compelled to come into the portable amps section and be 'funny'?? you dont have a portable amp and have no other reason to be here. I dont care who comes here, but when the ONLY thing someone ever has to say involves making fun of what other people enjoy it gets a bit much.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 52
Player + earphones

My quest for sound quality doesn't extend past having others hear what I'm listening, and I just shove the player in my jeans pocket with the IEM going under my sweater or whatever. I never, EVER go out without at least one MP3 player and if I have my backpack I'll also have a backup with me.

I see no need for a portable amplifier or DAC or whatever. Clip/Sony A729 + Klipsch S4 is all.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 52
My iPod and amp go into a small Eastpak pouch. Headphones into a seperate box then the whole thing gets slung into a back pack which I always carry. I must learn how to get photo's on here!
redface.gif

It is very nice to just have a small player and IEM's but having a funky rig is fun too.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #23 of 52
MRARROYO, I salute you.

As for portable, if only the MDR V6 came with a shorter cord I would take the V6-es almost everywhere. My Aurvana Live and Nokia 6303 make a fine team for now. For me a portable system doesn't have to be ultra compact as long as it is durable and gives me the sound I want to hear.

P.S. Even though an old school boombox would be unnessecary, I still think they are awesome and I still crave one. LL Cool J - Radio

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #24 of 52
It's easy to convince yourself that lugging a comically overhyped portable amp, an equally comically overhyped DAP and a major-league headphone would be worthwhile-better. I used to for a short time be equipped like qusp (only occasionally sporting a Qualia 010 as well at one time), but I rebounded back to reality/sanity fairly quickly for regular portage.

It was first of all too unwieldy, secondly too deluded (although some of the combos I posted up here were self-poking-fun of sorts) and last but perhaps not least, way too nerdy. Now these days a decent DAP/PMP-phone and a pair of IEM's (with an inline fixed attenuator if absolutely necessary) is what I personally call portable.

As for the ghetto blasters... I never carried one around, did you? I did have a very cool one though... A ghetto blaster on which the tape deck could be ejected to work as a walkman. That was sweet.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 52
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Did someone from Head-Fi upload this video?

He neatly slides a Korg MR-1 with a Lisa III down the front pocket of his jeans...(those are some D E E P pockets)

As for portable,I'll go with the wikki:

"a personal electronic device that allows the user to listen to recorded or broadcast audio whilst being mobile"

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why stop at a car battery? You can get a small gasoline powered generator that can be pulled around on a cart. One of those will easily power a tube amp and you won't have to worry about anything else drawing power off it.

Then again, I find it easiest to simply run IEMs directly off a stock iPod. It sounds good enough and I don't have to tote couple pounds of accessories around.

If you have a power generator for power supplying, then you will face the huge noise of the generator. it is distraction for your music appreciation.

I have make a system use the dry batter of the car, it can work about 5 hours. the best benefits is it is very quiet.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At one time the items below were considered "portable". So most of today's offerings are by comparison.
wink.gif

Ghettoblaster-family.jpg

The picture make me recall back to 80s last century, also make me frighten again for the battery killer. You have to bring one kilogram dry batteries with you for a outdoor party!!!!

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #28 of 52

I use this portable power pack to supply music devices while outdoors in a fixed location.(missing the summer BBQ's!)

600W+800A,you can gang it with automobile batteries for longer run time,no gas either.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #29 of 52
I won't carry anything that I can accidentally bump the volume up on. That eliminates most portable amps. I gave up on portable amps anyway after buying 3 and hearing others at meets. The gain on every one I heard was way too high. I couldn't get the volume low enough.

There was a picture of Kevin Gilmore using an SR-Omega as his portable, with an amp he built and a battery pack in what looked like a camera bag.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 52
gotta love the people that cant just say ok for you portable, but not for me, instead have to add something about seeing the light and not deluding themselves any longer

I dare anyone to compare an ipod dac + HP out to optical out to portable dac (with modified power supply) + 18V bipolar supply (+/-9V) + 10000UF + with fullsize transistor based reg, reasonably high current for pretty much ANY chip you might like to run portable or at home in class A (can and have even run burson discrete opamps at home), local bypassing of chip supplies, 4 channel amp with choice of 3 channel if you prefer, no caps in the signal path, all in a portable amp with discrete diamond buffer output stage (DIY) + x2 buf634 stacked. up to 1.4W into 8 ohms. now tell me the difference is marginal. sorry but that is just ludicrous. if you think that then most of the topics in this entire place about getting the best out of your rig either at home or portable are of no use to you.

a difference not worth it to you to carry around...fine....but NOT a small difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back