A DAP not riddled with bugs for a reasonable price?
Apr 11, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #31 of 54
I admit I have an anti ipod bias, I just really dislike having to install itunes to use it for the first time. The interface is great, but not for me. I'm trying out the Zune HD and it is loaded with its own problem but I really like the interface and for $200 for the 32gb model, I bit. The HiFiMan is interesting in that it solves that whole amp carrying problem.

Isn't the Sony X1050 and the S:Flo2 supposed to be good DAPs? I've been curious about trying it out myself.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 54
I looked there already, it's garbage. I don't think I've ever seen a consumer electronics manufacturer's website that had anywhere near enough information on it. I did manage to find the manual which is somewhat helpful. I was asking for something like an in-depth review, possibly from the perspective of someone who hasn't used an ipod before.

Most importantly, I need to know how to use it without installing itunes because that is a absolute deal-breaker.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #33 of 54
I had downloaded Itunes before checking out the Classic. I don't think its bad. I hear ya about being stuck in a system. I heard that mediamonkey works with Ipod. For reviews check out cnet.com, iLounge.com and there are more.Just google ipod classic review, then you'll find a lot of them.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Hero Kid

I can't find the links right now but I was reading that it would screw up the displaying tag if there was anything written to the "comment" tag, and that it didn't display tags for flacs properly. I couldn't find anything that said it was fixed so I assumed it wasn't could you confirm either way and tell which firmware you're using?

Ha I just checked in J River thinking I don't have any of my music tagged with comments. How wrong I was. Turns out I had 2k songs with comments, which all synced to my D2+ no worries, not to mention displayed the normal tags correctly. That being said it doesn't display the comments, it could be to do with the custom flash theme I'm using which doesn't display lyrics and comments to my knowledge.
What it does have it the normal Artist, Album, Song Title as well as a small icon to determine if it's FLAC or mp3, kbps and KH.
As far as FLAC and displaying tags my whole library is FLAC and I've had no issues what so ever with tags.
PS: I'm currently using version 3.1.3

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #35 of 54
@Hero Kid

Sweet, it is fixed. D2+ goes back to the top of my list. Thank You!

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #36 of 54
@Hero Kid

One more quick question. How well does the id3 tag browsing work, does it break down properly? Like Artist -> Albums by Artist, etc.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertrash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess my 4gig and 32gig Zens were the loudest of all of them, but they are plenty loud for me, I don't need a list to tell me what I hear.

Loudness is not the thing to defend on Head-fi my dear friend. Better stick to sound quality. Besides that, I have never seen a positive review of the new Zens so far. Not one!

Quote:

Most importantly, I need to know how to use it without installing itunes because that is a absolute deal-breaker.

Sure! You can easily get away with mediamonkey or foobar2k. Although that depends on how new your model is. Other members can provide more details on this topic.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

One more quick question. How well does the id3 tag browsing work, does it break down properly? Like Artist -> Albums by Artist, etc.

Certainly does. The D2+ also supports folder browsing... I'm pretty sure you would have read this already but just making sure.
I can easily up photos if you wish :p

In "Music Library" you get; Artist, Album, Genres, Tracks, New Music -> One Day / One Week / One Month, Year, Playlists & Folders.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'm happy to help.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #39 of 54
@Hero Kid

Thanks for the help. I've been reading all the reviews I could find, and watching all the videos of it on YouTube, but it seems everyone but me prefers folder browsing, so that's all that was talked about or shown in any detail. I was a little worried because I've seen many players that have poorly implemented tag browsing. I couldn't hold myself back anymore and just overnighted one from Amazon along with a 32gb SD card. I've been looking for something to replace my Rio Karma for so long I've lost control of my wallet it seems! I'll miss the Rio DJ, but I guess you can't have everything
frown.gif

@manuvajpai

There are lots of reviews of the the new iPod classic online but they all leave out important parts by comparing it to previous iPods! The last iPod I knew anything about was the very first one, which I didn't like. I'm sure they're better now but I still don't have any frame of reference for comparison without reading reviews of every iPod that ever existed in chronological order! I did find the manual on Apple's site and found out the iPod classic doesn't even have one user EQ preset! It was looking good except for that. I need at least one for my car stereo, and I'd prefer to have another for my 'phones, even though they don't need it nearly as much.

@ Everyone

I read a lot of reviews of the D2 that bashed it because it's complicated compared to the iPod, but I found one that actually summed up the situation accurately. They said something do the effect of, "Sure the D2 is more complicated than an iPod, but that's because it lets you do more than an iPod. Apple 'solved' this problem by not letting you change anything but that's not really a solution." Cowon's approach isn't necessarily a better solution's than Apple's. Unfortunately we have to live in an imperfect world and need to compromise. We're unlikely to get see a player on the market with all the features of a Cowon with a UI as easy as an iPod. As long as it actually works, I'll exchange some ease of use for more more functionality.

A large part of this is that the D2 and the iPod are aimed at completely different markets. It not just that the D2 is aimed at audiophiles and the iPod isn't, because that's not even true. It's because in S. Korea (Cowon's home market) being complicated is associated with being upmarket. It has a higher perceived vales because it is complicated, and something of the same performance with the same features will have a lower perceived value if it isn't as complicated. In short, being complicated is a fad in S. Korea. This applies to just about everything, not just DAPs. You can go to Sears and compare a LG refrigerator to an Kenmore one, and the LG will probably be more complicated. The iPod on the other hand is marketed as a fashion accessory to the lowest common denominator of the American middle class. That's not to say that it's necessarily bad, but if your a power user, it likely won't meet your needs. From all I can tell, the iPod is simple and easy to use, and meets the needs of the majority of users, but it's not "The World's Standard" it's marketed as, and has the reputation of being in some circles. It's the Toyota Camry of DAPs. The thing you recommend to your mom who just wants to get from point A to point B. Some people want a little more than that though, and those people are advised to look elsewhere.

/rant

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #42 of 54
@Dublo7

I won't say it's not. I don't really know a whole lot about it so I don't have much of a position to argue from. I do know that they're pretty expensive for a given capacity though, which is why I never considered it. It is worth it you want to watch videos on it and play games or whatever, but I'm not looking for any of that. I'm just looking for something that plays music well.

Also, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm going off on you when you're the one trying to help me, because that's not the way I mean it. I'm half clarifying, and half getting something off my chest. Same goes for my last post. I'm not trying berate anyone when I'm the new one here.

@Hero Kid

Thanks for the clarifications on the D2+. I was close to buying it before but as far as I could tell some problems with the earlier firmwares hadn't been fixed. I guess my google-fu is too weak huh?

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #43 of 54
had my D2+ for a few months now sounds good and the tag browsing works well (some small glitches on some of my flacs but i think thats my fault rather than the d2s)

have noticed some odd echoing on the Digi radio but i dont use that much anyway

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #44 of 54
If Apple would put in a custom EQ, all my issues w/iPod's would cease. Without RB on them, they tank (except the touch, but it still needs that custom EQ,...........). Same w/a Zune - the HD or the 80/120,....they need a custom EQ or they suck.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Samsung R0 (it's a new release) has microSD expandability, great SQ and battery life, and it has TACTILE CONTROLS!!!!!
samsung-r0-yepp-multimedia-player.jpg

I'm waiting for the 16gb model to hit the USA myself,..................

Generation MP3 Video Review (thanks Iebellium!!!): YouTube - Samsung R'Play (YP-R0) review by generationmp3

I 2nd THIS!I bought this player twice - for birthday gift,based mostly on its LOOK.It is very lady like,one for sis,now for GF.16G was about 130-140US$.
It is beautiful thing,very good SQ,well designed interface enpar with ipodnano.
The only defect is non-standart usb cable,one alreadylost!available in SamsungService only.It shows any language/script you want without trace of gibberish - good for lovers of arab/greek,hebrew or thai music.Good display as well.I saw Cowon V5 - price shocko! R0 - less then 150 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back