A DAP not riddled with bugs for a reasonable price?
Apr 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #16 of 54
"Bikertrash, I stand by my statement that you need to try other players and stop always suggesting the Zen - it's not a good dap. I'm not trying to undermine your statement, but you really need a bit more experience w/different dap's, since the more you try the more you can suggest."

It's a thread. Lot's of people make suggestions on what they know.I'm not the only one making suggestions.
I realize over at Anything But Creative they have a mancrush on Cowons and Clips. That's OK. You'll get through it.
By the way, I've suggested Clips also. When Sony starts adding decent features on E and S I'll also suggest too. No OnTheGo playlist, no suggest.
atsmile.gif
I guess my 4gig and 32gig Zens were the loudest of all of them, but they are plenty loud for me, I don't need a list to tell me what I hear.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertrash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No OnTheGo playlist, no suggest.
atsmile.gif

I think you should suggest based on the OP's wants/needs not what you consider vital to a DAP. Just my $0.02.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 54
Get a 6.5gen 160gb iPod Classic (basically the newest model) - shedloads of storage, lovely interface, great sound. Dont believe the haters.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 54
If Sony goes FLAC I'll convert if what I read about their DAPs is correct, I preferred the S7x8-series but some tracks I really want to have in FLAC unless there is a WMA lossless option. I should check on the WMA lossless options...

The Clip + still functions properly.

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertrash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bikertrash, I stand by my statement that you need to try other players and stop always suggesting the Zen - it's not a good dap. I'm not trying to undermine your statement, but you really need a bit more experience w/different dap's, since the more you try the more you can suggest."

It's a thread. Lot's of people make suggestions on what they know.I'm not the only one making suggestions.
I realize over at Anything But Creative they have a mancrush on Cowons and Clips. That's OK. You'll get through it.
By the way, I've suggested Clips also. When Sony starts adding decent features on E and S I'll also suggest too. No OnTheGo playlist, no suggest.
atsmile.gif
I guess my 4gig and 32gig Zens were the loudest of all of them, but they are plenty loud for me, I don't need a list to tell me what I hear.

That's all fine and well, but the truth is creative hasn't produced a good sounding AND ESPECIALLY reliable dap in quite some time. And if people recommend Cowon or Sandisk daps it's because they're BETTER than creative players.

Like it or not, even w/a few decent features creative creates crap daps now. There's a reason why no one here recommends them any more - creative has been deemed a POS by most of us - get over it.

I think your creative man-crush might be the thing you need to end.

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to this thread it's reduced in the Clip+ but not completely gone. SanDisk knows about it and has decided not to fix it because it would decrease battery life by 3%.

Pitch bug on Clip+? - Sansa Clip+ - Welcome to SanDisk's Sansa Community

I would love to be proven wrong though, I was just about ready to buy one until I found that thread.

But you can rockbox it and that will solve the problem right?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 54
Another confirmation for the Sansa Fuse. Better than the Clip, better screen to navigate in. Thin and easily slips into a shirt pocket.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 54
@sallan75

Is this list no longer accurate? Also whether you define them as bugs or not, it's still a list of things I don't like about it.

@Hero Kid

I can't find the links right now but I was reading that it would screw up the displaying tag if there was anything written to the "comment" tag, and that it didn't display tags for flacs properly. I couldn't find anything that said it was fixed so I assumed it wasn't could you confirm either way and tell which firmware you're using?

@bikertrash & nywytboy68

I don't think the low volume on the Zen would be a problem for my phones so the low volume problem would be irrelevant to me. Also, despite the fact that the SD card doesn't integrate either it's avalible in large capacities for cheap so it doesn't matter as much. A 32gb Zen is about 1/2 the price of a 32gb S9. The Zen doesn't play flac so it doesn't need as much storage anyway. The S9 may do more and sound better but I don't want to do anything but play music on it an $100 and change may be worth the SQ. I'd have to try it out to be sure first, but I know someone who has one, so it's not a big deal.

@Bennyboy71

I have been considering turning to the Dark Side and actually buying an iPod. It does play some kind of lossless right?

@BaboonGuy

If rockbox was stable on it yet I would have bought a Clip+ already and not started this thread.

@Leavenfish

So far it's looking good. I thought it had the pitch problem too but it seems to be fixed. Now where can I buy a Fuze v1 so I can rockbox it?

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 54
A DAP not riddled with bugs for a reasonable price, that plays gapless and lossless, then Bennyboy71's suggestion of buying an iPod is actually quite a reasonable one.

Here in the UK, if you pick up any of the main stream gadget magazines such as What Vision & Hi-Fi, Stuff or T3 etc etc; the iPod Nano or Touch always occupies the number one spot in every review.

Shigzeo recently commented in a thread discussing the SQ of the Clip+ "I am not convinced that there is a cheap option which is universally better than the iPod nano"

I whole heartedly agree with him on this one.

The problem with Head-Fi is that it's full of Apple Bashers & Clip/Fuze Fanatics.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 54
TBH I agree w/maporter, as the Nano is all together: easy to use, the SQ is good, battery life is good as well, it's got an FM tuner now, it does Lossless, and it's not gonna break the bank.

PS: maverickronin, sorry for almost derailing your thread.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 54
maverickronin;6550885 said:
@sallan75

@Bennyboy71

I have been considering turning to the Dark Side and actually buying an iPod. It does play some kind of lossless right?

QUOTE]

from Apple's website:

Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Bennyboy71

From Apple's website:
Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

And hey, since when was turning to the Dark Side a bad thing?
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 54
The nano would be a a good choice if it were cheaper or had an SD slot but $150 for just 16gb is a bad deal. The classic might be a decent choice.

Any links to get me up to speed? I know nothing about the current ones since I decided they sucked years ago and bought a Rio Karma instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back