A DAC listening test challenge. Will it happen?
Nov 12, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #61 of 61
There are quality headphones of all impedances and sensitivities. You just need to make sure the amp you are using is suitable for the headphones or IEMs you are using. One size does not fit all, and if they don't match, it doesn't mean your system is of poor quality. It just means you put it together wrong.

I'm of the opinion that a really good system has very little to do with the cost or even the quality of the amp and DAC, It has to do with the way the person who put it together balanced the requirements of effective functional operation and usability. A really good system might cost $200 or it might cost $20,000. And really bad systems might cost the exact same amounts. It's all in how the user designs it to suit his purposes and needs. I'm more impressed by people who have solved their problems efficiently and inexpensively than I am by people who just go out and buy the most expensive everything.

Recently, I gave myself the task of figuring out how to take music with me and my friends to places where there is no electricity... like backyard BBQs and trips to the mountains. My prerequisites were that it had to be battery operated and bluetooth, able to operate for two days without plugging in (to cover a weekend) and be able to fill a room with sound and be listenable outdoors. It also had to be able to shuffle multiple large libraries of music organized by genre and it had to fit into a messenger bag with all the cables and cases I would need all in one place. I figured it all out, got a nice leather messenger bag, and gave it a trial run. It nailed it. I think putting together systems like this is a lot more fun than just trading one amp with specs beyond the range of audibility for another one that is slightly more inaudible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back