A DAC/AMP test worthy of posting about is coming soon!
Jun 2, 2017 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mark Tomaras

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am a brand new member, and I have enjoyed this site thoroughly in the past weeks doing research on what portable DAC/AMP to purchase for my computer, iPhone, and Audeze Sine headphones. I am a dedicated audio fan, er audiophile, and I have spent many years (and too many pre-fatherhood dollars) refining my home system. I have largely ignored headphone audio, until now!

From 2005-2012 I more or less lived on long haul airliners, so you may guess what I had on my head: Bose QC15. People that know me and know headphones told me that I was crazy. "You have a good ear and a killer system at home, why settle on headphones that sound like garbage?" My response was that they are comfortable and the noise cancelation is amazing. True words. Now, however, I spend a lot less time on airplanes and find myself in my home office glued to a computer for much of my work.

Enter the Audeze Sine. Not as comfortable as the Bose of course, but damn, they make the QC15 sound like a pair of tin cans tied together with string! The cipher cable is nice and all, and probably will be great for a quick grab and go listening session at times, but I want a proper DAC/AMP. My research on this site and the web in general led me to 3 finalists. The Chord Mojo, The Oppo HA 2SE, and the CEntrance DACportable. I am sure most readers on this site are very familiar with these devices.

Well, I ordered all 3 yesterday! The dealers know that I will be returning two of them and keeping the winner. Thank you Audio Advisor and CEntrance for the liberal and understanding return policies.

These devices have been reviewed before, but I have never reviewed them, or any other audio product. I plan to do so in the next week. My Sine's have been burned in to 100+ hours. When these amps arrive, I will play them for at least 24 hours before I do the critical listening and the review. So, stay tuned! I look forward to sharing how these three top contenders perform with Audeze Sine, and with my ears (which are by no means golden, but they do appreciate good sound, and I'll be sure to scrape the wax out before the test :)

Thanks!
Mark

PS: Anyone know how I can post the test in the proper forum? It seems the new guys can only post here. How long am I a new guy for?

Chord Mojo, Oppo HA 2SE, CEntrance DACportable

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 4
PS: Anyone know how I can post the test in the proper forum? It seems the new guys can only post here. How long am I a new guy for?

By this I'm assuming you mean when you will be able to post in other forums. The requirements is either 5 posts and 15 days or 15 posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back