a cross between a bud and iem
Oct 6, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 27
going by popular vote, that OK2 is not looking so great to me based on an indepth review i glossed over from someone here. i see it doubles as both a bud and iem but that's not really what i'm looking for, just the best way i could think to describe it. shallow iem i guess is the better term. comfort is also a big issue and the review wasn't shy about the comfort problem.

also as for isolation i do want it, just not to the point that if someone is screaming at me i couldn't hear it. i may be giving iems too much credit as i've never owned a pair. i'd definitely like to be able to isolate enough to cut off the majority of outside noise.

i'm hoping to make my pick off amazon because of their hassle free return policy.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #17 of 27
uh any canalphone..

they don't go in nearly as far as IEMs.. i can hear people talking fine when i pause music with them in.. they slip in and out..

and yeah it is very hard to hear people if you have good isolating IEMs with a good seal, i would have to take them out. However, i'm sure UE's and some others don't isolate as well as shures and ety's, but have not used them.

personally i'd like something inbetween but i haven't had a chance to try UE's. i'd prefer a bit more isolation than canalphones.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #20 of 27
V-moda Vibes. Fit like an IEM, sound ok*, doesn't isolate.

*sound quality depends on source... they have a +10dB bass starting at 2000hz and running up in a line. It means from a source with low bass rolloff, you get too much bass, and on one without it, everyone sounds like they are breathing freon and singing from the bottom of a well. I listened to them once off my laptop and the experience left emotional scars.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 27
You want an IEM because they sound better but you dont really need isolation. In my opinion a top end earbud (Yuin PK1) blows a highly regarded IEM (Sleek SA6) away in terms of SQ and comfort.

Since you said you dont really need isolation. I recommend the yuin PK1 or the PK3 if you are looking for a great bang to buck ratio. I cannot comment on the OK series but the OK1 is suppose to be better then the PK1 and the OK2 is the best unamped earbud in terms of SQ. I highly regard the PK1 though and I rate them higher then the SA6.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 27
What about the denons?
They don't isolate alot.
At least, i notice they isolate less than the cx-400s hpm-70 and the re-1s.
When music is not playing, things are only slightly muffled, you can still hear clearly unlike the cx-400s etcs whereby the voices are really muffled.

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 27
I am currently thinking of the same requirements. I carry a phone and am constantly on call. The only time I feel safe listening to music is in bed, and I bought an IEM so as not to bother the wife.

So I could also use less than perfect isolation for daytime listening, if sound quality did not suffer.

I think that a clip-on headphone works much better, if sports are not in question. I have a Koss KCS-75, available <$18, widely known as the best-kept secret of audiophiles. Portability-wise, about the same as buds. SQ in a league above most earbuds. At the price, I bought several pair as party favors - give them to a nephew or two when I see them carrying crappy buds.

Really, most earbuds try mightily to generate strong bass, which in turn mucks up the midrange. The Koss, by contrast, has really nice non-bloated bass which is effortless and warm. The midrange and highs are nice - really the complete package. You are paying big bucks in an earbud to even approach this level of performance, and you will not match the clarity unless you go with an IEM. This is from what I know - others are touting wonder buds, but look at the price!

I really don't see buds as being that much smaller / easier to carry around. Having a nice large transducer keeps distortion levels low.

Every time I think of earbuds, I keep returning to this.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 27
Try the earbuds from Yuin.
They sounds really good but they do not have a great skin for it.
I would suggest you to get PK2 if you are not gona spend more than 100$. PK1 is harder to drive, you might need an amp to perform the best. Anyway, PK1 cost 159$.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 27
I have the pk2 and they sound great. I'd also recommend them. They sound better than many iems under $100 so they are of good value

good luck

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #27 of 27
Although I wouldn't personally buy them, how about the Bose in-ear earphones? They have a giant open port so essentially they fit like canalphones but don't isolate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back