a cross between a bud and iem
Oct 6, 2008 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

xyz

100+ Head-Fier
does such a thing exist?

i want the sound quality, but don't need the complete isolation. i'm also not really into the idea of needing to replace the tips every so often. any ideas? something around $100 would fit the bill as they wouldn't be used terribly often.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 27
...wut?

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 27
to my knowledge, iems are top of the line for portable sound. i want the sound but don't need or really want the complete isolation. so what am i asking exactly i don't know, an iem that doesn't go in as deep as usual? an iem that also doesn't have removable tips that need to be replaced, or as little as possible?

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 27
well all iem's have removable tips (so you can get one that's the right size) but you don't need to replace silicone tips since they're washable. also, most cheap iem's don't go very deep (senn CX series, denon 351/551, all the jays, head-direct re2, etc). if you want a good one that isn't too deep for around 100 then the RE2 could fit the bill nicely. they get loads of praise around here.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 27
The reason IEMs sound so good in the first place is BECAUSE of the seal they create, which allows them to use your ear canal as a resonating chamber.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 27
You won't find anything that isolates decently (better than earbuds) without using silicon/foam tips.

There is (or it might be out of production now) a Sony earbud that has a sort of shallow contoured plastic earbud piece. Something like this might isolate a tiny bit more since it fits the canal better, but better to get other opinions first. I would still recommend a shallow canalphone (e.g. RE2):

43913-ymdred21lp.jpg

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 27
Sony EX90 alikes are what you are looking for. Those are hybrids of earbuds and canalphones which don't isolate well. You can check out Sony EX90, EX85/ Audio Technica CKM50 CKM 70 CKM 90/ JVC FX66 FX500. Actually, many canal phones don't isolate that well either, so there shouldn't be any problem finding a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back