A critical review of MHZS Tube CD Players
May 9, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Michael10

Head-Fier
redface.gif
I posted this in the thread on the Doge 6 thread but thought it was important enough to start a new thread.

Quote:

I have a PhD but my dad just made it through high school My old man was smart in many ways, but he was never much of a reader. I read all the time and my old man was always telling me to not believe everything I read.

Anyway, I have read a number of positive reviews about the MHZS CD players and have posted some links above. I found this very different review today and thought I should post this in case anyone is thinking about buying one of these units. I don't know anything about the reviewer but his website can be found in the second link:

MHZS-CD66F_MHZS CD88

Lampizator page index

I am a psychologist not an engineer. I know my way around computers and have taken some calculus and genetics courses for fun. I teach statistics and research design, but I don't pretend to able to evaluate this guy's reviews. The unit he examined may have been a factory reject or counterfeit. I don't know but since you can't believe everything you read, it is important to read everything you can before you spend your money.

Again, I don't know anything about Lampizator. He appears to know what he is talking about but I haven't searched the web to see what others think of his opinion. So for what it is worth the links are below:

MHZS-CD66F_MHZS CD88

Lampizator page index

I would like to hear from folks who have had experience with the MHZS and also with the Doge 6. I guess I am back to thinking about Cayin.

May 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 27
Lampizator is a very knowlegeable tube guy. That MHZ CDP is pure junk with its BB1742 DAC and a opamp+tube. The topology make no sense whatsoever.

If you want to hear a tubed digital front end done right try to find a Lite DAC-50, the newer DAC-60 is OK after some modifications (corrections.) Also the Hagerman Chime-DAC is very well designed.

May 12, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 27
Have you ever "heard" a MHZS product? And please do not mention the PCM1743KE as this chip, like the other *cheap* Phillips TDA1543 are also very find sounding chips.

He sounds very angry and for some reason, against the Chinese. Perhaps he had a run in with the owner of MHZS and this is response. He hoped all along that we would pick it up and use it like this.

May 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 27
By all means don't listen to me or Lampizator , spend your money on a boombox DAC chips with an opamp AND tube after it.

You obviously have no knowledge of DAC topology, and if I had a problem with the Chinese I wouldn't have recommended a LITE product.

May 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemeteor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever "heard" a MHZS product? And please do not mention the PCM1743KE as this chip, like the other *cheap* Phillips TDA1543 are also very find sounding chips.

Yes. I have. It's crap. The soldering and construction quality is crap, the circuit design is crap, the parts are outdated & obsolete at best, and it sounds like crap. And let's not even get into the ethics of falsifying their "proprietary" DAC chip.

May 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 27
Regal:

So sorry for the implication. I was not saying or implying that YOU had a problem with the Chinese, just that this "Lampizato" does.

The high end Pioneer players also use the PCM1743 DAC - FYI - and again, if you have never heard a $.15 TDA1543, then I encourage you to give this a try. I do not know where the "Boom Box" analogy comes from. The marketing literature from Burr Brown lists a series of applications for this chip - but it does that with its other chips as well.

One thing we can speculate on is that he (Lampizator)does not have a MHZS product in his possession. The reason for this is that the pictures he uses are ones that are readily found on the web.

It just looks to me that he is out to "get" MHZS, for some reason. I own a MHZS CD 88 and I know what I hear.... flat frequency response with a touch of warmth in the midrange. An authoritative bottom end with dynamics. Is the MHZS the best player out there? No - but, dollar for dollar, the sound and construction quality cannot be beat.

Again, truly sorry if I insulted you. My bad.

May 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 27
Blue, I would say its over-priced. Someone just took a $30 DVD player and added a tube to it. This is not the right way to do a CDP analog stage. Glad you like it but you could do better with a $49 Toshiba DVD player (which also has a flat freq response.)

May 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 27
That is why I tried to do the post with a Caveat to all involved -- it is very difficult for me to evaluate these issues. Lampizator does give the Doge and the Cambridge Azur (also made in China) very positive reviews. I think Lampizator does say that the MHZS doesn't sound that bad.

Michael10

May 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 27
I agree that not bad is not what I would want to hear for that price. I am happy with my Denon3910 and Music Hall CD-25. But I would probably not be happy with the Denon if I had paid $1200 instead of $599.

May 12, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 27
Nevermind the sound, the build quality and soldering is disgustingly shoddy. There are more bad solder joints than I care to count with blobs of solder all over the place, cold solder joints, and joints without enough solder. $50 DVD players have better solder joint quality than this piece of crap, it's absolutely unacceptable.

May 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 27
well I don't know if I was the only person that was happy with mhzs cd players ( had both - cd66 an cd88 ) - for me they are very good value for money

May 14, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

piotr z: well I don't know if I was the only person that was happy with mhzs cd players ( had both - cd66 an cd88 ) - for me they are very good value for money

I have never heard or even seen one. I have read some positive stuff about them. My policy is the more information the better, and as I pointed out the unit may have been a reject or maybe something for the Asian market. I have read that sometimes two different products (one for domestic and one for export) are built with the export having better parts. In fact, I think I read that about the Cayin HA-1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back