A critical review of MHZS Tube CD Players
May 16, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 27
I received the new issue of Absolute Sound today. They have an interesting article on China and the stereo industry. B&W has just built a factory in China. Basically, the article concluded that some of the "made in China" stuff was super good and an excellent value while at some facilties there were lots of problems. The problems included folks stealing stuff, substituting parts, etc. I wonder where the MHZS players came from that people were happy with and where the one were purchased that folks thought were bad!

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 27
Folks:

Hmmm- How should I approach this thread.... A couple of points ...... Some of you get this, some of you, well, will stew.

We have been selling the MHZS players for what, 3 years now. Over all they have been very reliable and musical. They are to date, still despite all the bad press from Chinese audio haters, and "gobs of solder" all over the place, one of our better selling products.

We can accurately discuss the pluses and minus of audio equipment, or we can use sweeping generalizations and stereotypes to discuss them.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #20 of 27
You can slice it and dice it any way you want, what it boils down to is people want honest value. If fake parts such as caps and transports are used and the buying public catches wind of this then a lack of trust and doubt about the product will dictate what people will purchase and what they pass over.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 27
Right. And to our knowledge, at least the ones we sell, this is not the case. The ones you get from ebay, well.... that is a different story.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 27
Wow wait a minute, are you saying they make 2 different versions, one for you which is on the up and up and one for the suckers buying on E-Bay! I can't believe what you are saying and you support a company like this, What.

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #23 of 27
Ah - um, interesting accusation. I'll bet you think you caught a fast one -but let me curb your enthusiasm.

MHZS only makes one version.

You may, however, buy the unit, takes parts out, replace those parts with cheaper ones and sell it on ebay without telling anyone. You now have parts to sell. So, you can make real money. You can only do this, however, where labor is cheap. This is a common practice where there is no regulation. So, if you want to buy great hi fi at reasonable prices, you will need an intermediary.

Selling "fakes" is well known in consumer electronics. It happens to Nikon, Cannon - even Dell - so caveat emptor.

Not all ebay sellers are like this of course, some of them are very reputable.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 27
I recommend the Dac-50 if you want a tube digital source for cheap.

Here is the schematic, the design makes sense . At least you know what you are getting.

dac-50.jpg

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #25 of 27
I'm trying to ressurect this thread based on my experience with a MHZS CD88E CD player.
I know there are a few MHZS haters around here that question it's quality, don't hold back to react if it is honest information but this is my experience...

Yesterday was my lucky day, i am on a quest/dilemma of buying a good CD player and i could borrow someone his Chinese MHZS CD88 CD player, a brand i'm also considering. I thought my Xindak DAC 8 was the best sound i could afford, before that i had compared many sources including a modded DacMagic, a not to bad Marantz player, the DAC in my AV receiver, but all without noticeable difference, i thought all decent sources sounded samey... But when i tried the MHZS... god i was wrong. This CD player sounded much better, more weight to the sound, more musical, not to be stunned by the difference but still very noticeable. And that for a complete CD player costing slightly less then my standalone DAC! Not that my DAC is bad but in my system this MHZS cd player did shine! First i blamed the PS3 that i use as a transport for it, but when i used the MHZS as a transport on my Xindak DAC-8 the sound coming out the DAC wasn't much better with this decent transport. This means the design, DAC and tube output stage must be rather good in this cd player. I also came across a board that with some cheap mods you could make it sound even better.

It makes me wonder how good their 2000£ flagship model with the high end Philips Pro mechanism could sound. If all goes well i might compare the CD88 to some well regarded CEC cd player. I also like the design of the Chinese Jungson Impression CD player as well but will it sound better?? A demo with a dealer in my neigberhood is out of the question for that sort of chinese brands, that makes it a risk when you buy one sadly.

I'm at a point when i think i might go for the MHZS CD99 CD player, so if someone thinks i can do better please let me know so i will do a comparison if possible.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #27 of 27
        IN 2007 OR 08 I PURCHASED THE MHZS 66 TUBE CD PLAYER FOR 600 DOLLARS US IT TOOK A MONTH TO GET HERE IT WAS PACKED VERY WELL I WAS HAPPY WITH THE TRANSACTION  TO START I HAVE A YAMAHA RECEIVER C0ST 1800 DOLLARS IT'S HIGH END FOR A RECEIVER THAT''S WHAT I HAVE. IT'S HOOKED UP TO WITH COAX CABLE  AND PARADIGM REFERENCE 80 SPEAKER'S  BI-WIRE.  WHEN  I HOOKED THE MHZS 66 TUBE CD PLAYER UP  (  IT WEIGHED ABOUT 40 TO 50 POUNDS )  AND PUT IN A CD  I DROPPED MY JAW AT THE SOUND QUALITY  IT BLEW ME AWAY.  I PLAYED DIFFERENT TYPES OF MUSIC  I WAS IN LOVE WITH THE VERY SMOOTH WARM SOUND IT PRODUCED IT JUST FILLED ME AND THE ROOM I WHEN'T  TO MY LOCAL HIGH END AUDIO STORE (  I LIVE IN NEW YORK STATE  )   AND PLAYED ONE OF THERE CD PLAYERS THAT COST $ 1000 UP TO 3000 DOLLARS NONE OF THEM WERE TUBE.  THEY SOUNDED GREAT BUT THEY DID;NT  HAVE THAT WARM SOUND THAT FILLS YOUR ROOM THEN I HERD  CD PLAYERS THAT COST $ 3,500 TO $ 6000 SOME HAD TUBES SOME WERE SOLID STATE AND THEY SOUNDED AWSOME.. THE MHZS CD PLAYER WAS IN THE SAME QUALITY IN SOUND PERFORMANCE   AS THESE 3500 TO 6000 DOLLAR CD MACHINES.   IN THE END I ENJOY THE MHZS CD PLAYER VERY MUCH  I REALIZE I'M NOT USING THIS CD PLAYER TO IT'S FULL POTENTIAL  I PLAN ON UPGRADING MY HOLE SYSTEM.  BUT IN THE END  I'M GLAD I PURCHASED THE  MHZS 66 CD PLAYER   I'M SURE YOU WILL TO..    IF YOU NEED HELP PUTTING TOGETHER A SYSTEM  FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY THING  REMEMBER DON'T OVER SPEND AND DON'T  UNDER SPEND.  MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD AMP OR RECEIVER  AND GOOD SPEAKERS  AND SPEAKER WIRES AND CONNECTOR WIRE'S IT ALL ADS UP TO A GREAT STEREO AND REMEMBER WHEN YOU GO OUT TO BYE YOUR SYSTEM BRING YOUR MUSIC CD'S SO YOU CAN LISTEN TO. BECAUSE IN THE END YOUR PURCHASING THIS STEREO SYSTEM FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT AND NO ONE ELSE   AND MAKE SURE YOU GET IT AT I HIGH END STEREO  STORE. DON'T LET THE WORD HIGH END SCARE YOU  IT WONT COST YOU A FORTUNE FOR WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.  

YOURS TRULY   DAVID  F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back