A couple rather basic DAC questions...
Aug 15, 2006 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

russdog

500+ Head-Fier
I've not had an outboard DAC, and I don't know if one will be helpful to me. (I live on the far side of nowhere, so there's nothing to be gained by telling me I should go listen to some.)

Here's what I listen to and through: alt-preset-Extreme mp3's via an Echo Indigo I/O card in a Toshiba laptop feeding the stereo. My main home cans are HD-600's, am waiting on a cable. (I also use a Rockbox'd iPod 5G with ER-4P's, but that's not relevant here.) I have a SuperMacro IV that will arrive whenever Xin finally decides to send it to me :wink:

Here's the only bias I know that I have that I also question: Music through the Indigo sounded very good to me, and then it suddenly sounded better right after I downloaded the MediaMonkey add-in that enabled a 24-bit bitstream. The improvement was immediately noticable and was not subtle. This experience has created a bias within me in favor of a 24-bit bitstream. However, I don't know if this is a sane vs. crazy bias.

Here's what I wonder:
  1. How likely is it that an affordable (no more than $400, and hopefully less) DAC will sound better than music coming out of the Indigo I/O? (The hypothetical DAC would be getting optical input via Toslink from the laptop.)
  2. Is my 24-bit bias to be trusted?
  3. If my 24-bit bias is to be trusted, which are the likely candidates? (If my 24-bit bias is not to be trusted, then I think I have a semi-clue just from reading things around here.)
  4. Are there better choices than the MicroDac?
Small is good, but it's not essential. Transportable is good but not essential.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 3
This is one example where I will recomend an external DAC. Usually computers as sources can not keep up with the quality expected by us, there are too many factors detrimental to the sound inside a computer, and especially inside a laptop where everything is laid out to reduce space and not to improve quality.

Your 24bit "improvement" can only be trusted if you are using DVD-A or if your DAC chip in your soundcard has some fundemental problem reproducing 16bit audio. 24bits is achieved either by padding zeros on the end in which case no extra data is added, or through dithering which just like dithering GIFs, can often do more harm than good.

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 3
Yes, a DAC will help.

If you want 24 bit around $400, have you considered the PreSonus Central Station? It has TOSLINK in, as well. I got mine for $400 shipped and couldn't be happier with it. It may not be small or transportable, but the sound is excellent. Take a look at the review thread for it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back