A couple questions...
Mar 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pipe-dream

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I have been snooping around here now for a wile.  And I have to say I'm really enjoying this community, having lots of fun. Thanks!

I have have a couple questions I would like clearing up. I'm currently in the cue for a e17 from fiio. Does this portable amplifier convert from digital to analogue and power my cans at the same time?  Like...   80GB ipod > e17 > ATH-PRO 700. Or is it just a amp when not plugged into computer USB?  It just doesn't make this clear to me when looking at the description of the unit, or other portable amps I have looked at. 

I would like to be able to plug this into my mac and have it go through to my receiver then through speakers as a DAC. Then when I want to plug my headphones also work as a amp too. Also to be able to use this on the move.

Second, would this be a appropriate application for my headphones.

ATH-PRO 700   
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER 3,500 mW

IMPEDANCE 38 ohms

Grado SR80 
Impedance 32 ohms

Dunu Hephaes DN-16
Impedance 16 ohm 

If there is other suggestions for the application I'm very open to this. Thanks for your time!

Ps. Running the cans at the desk through a denon 297 stereo amp or ipod, and have never heard any properly amped headphones before.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I have been snooping around here now for a wile.  And I have to say I'm really enjoying this community, having lots of fun. Thanks!
I have have a couple questions I would like clearing up. I'm currently in the cue for a e17 from fiio. Does this portable amplifier convert from digital to analogue and power my cans at the same time?  Like...   80GB ipod > e17 > ATH-PRO 700. Or is it just a amp when not plugged into computer USB?  It just doesn't make this clear to me when looking at the description of the unit, or other portable amps I have looked at. 
I would like to be able to plug this into my mac and have it go through to my receiver then through speakers as a DAC. Then when I want to plug my headphones also work as a amp too. Also to be able to use this on the move.
Second, would this be a appropriate application for my headphones.

ATH-PRO 700   
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER 3,500 mW

IMPEDANCE 38 ohms

Grado SR80 
Impedance 32 ohms
Dunu Hephaes DN-16
Impedance 16 ohm 
If there is other suggestions for the application I'm very open to this. Thanks for your time!
Ps. Running the cans at the desk through a denon 297 stereo amp or ipod, and have never heard any properly amped headphones before.

First off, the only DACs that can be hooked up to an iPod or iPhone costs around $500.
you can still use the headphone amplifier part of the E17 with the iPod.

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 7
When in use with an ipod or i device the E17's DAC will not be engaged(unless you use it with an ipad with a camera connection kit and a powered usb hub) you will only use the amp. DAC AND amp will be engaged and in use when you use it with your ocmputer over S/PDIF(optical and coaxil) or USB. not AUX in.

impendance doesn't mean everything about driveability but all those cans you listed have a very low impendance so the E17 should be fine with it.

I have the E17 itself. here is the main thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought

it's a review thread that is also the main E17 thread. for more info i would recommend reading from page 50 to 80 and then 100 to 120. for the actual info on the E17.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks PurpleAngel, Cassadiana and bowie006! I am new to the amplification side of things, this information has helped me out a bunch thanks. I'm excited to get ahold of one and hear for myself!

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
The MusicStreamer iStreamer has recently been certified to allow DAC abilities for the iPod albeit limited to the desk.

Cool. first I've ever heard about a MusicStreamer iStreamer.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Cool. first I've ever heard about a MusicStreamer iStreamer.

X2

it didn't specifically use the words DAC or bypass any of that..

but still unlike the $500+ CLAS HP1 this is not portable and also like the pure i-20...there's no info on the amp and DAC used in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back