A couple of questions about burning in earbuds
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chewy4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi head-fi, newbie here,

So I just bought a pair of decent earbuds(nu force NE-700X's), and before I purchased them I sifted through several reviews and saw a lot of stuff about burning in.

After doing not enough research, I decided it was a good idea to play dubstep for several hours straight on maximum volume. And then with some various music(covering a very wide array of genres), totaling to about 22 hours.  

Maximum volume really wasn't that loud though, I read that you should burn in on slightly higher than comfortable listening level, and it kind of was. I could stand listening to it at that volume for probably quite a while, but my ears would probably be ringing more than usual afterwards. They really aren't all that loud when maxed out on my computer, I'm guessing they'd get a lot more volume with a headphone amp. They're probably only a third as loud as my MDR-V6's. 

Anyways on to my question(probably a dumb question as I don't know jack about headphones): If I damaged my headphones while burning them in, would it be obvious? Or could some frequencies be missing that I wouldn't notice easily? They sound clear to me, I'm noticing stuff in songs that I haven't before, and there's no hum when I plug them in, but I'm wondering if it was possible to damage more subtle parts.

Also, should I give it an extended rest or does a break of more than a couple of hours even matter? I continued burning them in about 5 hours later using the J-labs burn-in thing at about quarter volume, and am currently burning them in using a series of frequency sweeps, white noise, radio white noise, pink noise, and a deep sounding drum, with a minute break in between and a 5 minute break at the end of the series. I plan on doing this for about 4-5 hours, and I've already listened to them a good 5-6 hours at work. Is this too much?

Finally, I know there's a lot of controversy on this, but what do you guys think is the best burn-in sound to use? 

TL;DR:

1. Is it easy to notice damage from excessive burn in(from someone inexperienced with high-end audio)?
2. Is more than a couple hour break necessary after an excessively long(22 hr) burn in?
3. What are the best sounds to burn in with?

Thanks all, any help or advice is appreciated.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 6
OK, if you continue this you're going to damage the headphones.  This is how you burn in:
  1. Wear the headphones and play music out of them through the device you plan on burning them in with, and put it at a comfortable listening level. 
  2. Play the headphones using the same device for a number of hours until you hear no difference between listenings (or until you feel comfortable). 
Burn in is not required, but can help speed up the process of a pair of headphones coming to it's final/intended signature.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 6
When your burning them in your not supposed to have them in your ear. Music that loud could damage the headphones and your ears. Just a little bit higher than what is the MOST comfortable noise

I recommend you never do that again,

Thomas

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Oh I wasn't wearing them in my head haha.

I'm just a little confused at what comfortable listening volume is. Just loud enough to hear all of the sounds? 

I stopped doing the burn in at 100% a while ago, I'm just doing it at quarter volume now with the frequency sweeps, white noise etc... and when I listen to it at work it's at a pretty low volume(less than a quarter on an ipod). Does that sound safe or is ~10 hours a day with a couple hour breaks in between too much?

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
When your burning them in your not supposed to have them in your ear. Music that loud could damage the headphones and your ears. Just a little bit higher than what is the MOST comfortable noise

I recommend you never do that again,

Thomas

I forgot to tell him to take them out :p  To the get the volume level you have to wear them though, that was the purpose of my post.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Oh I wasn't wearing them in my head haha.

I'm just a little confused at what comfortable listening volume is. Just loud enough to hear all of the sounds? 

I stopped doing the burn in at 100% a while ago, I'm just doing it at quarter volume now with the frequency sweeps, white noise etc... and when I listen to it at work it's at a pretty low volume(less than a quarter on an ipod). Does that sound safe or is ~10 hours a day with a couple hour breaks in between too much?

Comfortable listening level varies from person to person.  It's what you're going to be listening to them at.  That number is normally between 60-90 dB (for me it's between 70-80dB).  Please note that 90dB is the point where you can get hearing damage, 120dB is when pain occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back