A cool soundstage effect...
Feb 24, 2008 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
I was listening to some old CD's I had that were saved in MP3 format. I came accorss this song that at 1:38 had a cool sound staging effect.

Sounds pretty cool, kinda hard to pinpoint What is going on, seems like everything is surrounding you, not just left-right-left-right imaging....

http://www.rupintart.com/Nate/Gigi%2...with%20you.mp3

I uploaded it to my server, so please don't stream it. Well, you probably can, but if it gets loaded down, it probably won't play without clipping/buffering, so it's easier to just DL it.

Pretty sweet effect though....

**EDIT** Link fixed.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 38
haha that was weird.

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 38
That was really cool
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 38
What would you call that effect? More notably, how do you make the music do that? It's not quite left right left right, but it is...it's just presented neat. I haven't found any other tracks that had anything like that, or even close.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 38
Ah, nothing like some happy, upbeat electronica to make me feel 10 years younger.
smily_headphones1.gif

And sorted by album, the next song is a remix version of Misia's "Sweetness" from the album Remix 2000 Little Tokyo.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 38
That's an astonishingly good bit of effect mixing in a song which is, for all other purposes, the original D'agostino track with a drum machine over the top of it.

Best I can tell, its both high and low pass filters and a balance change all moving separately on the whoosh noise and the vocals differently in each channel, its not entirely dissimilar in form to the tonal changes that EAX makes for positional audio.

As an example of how it might be done to move things around the head. You have a highpass filter on one side that comes down to a lowpass filter on that side as the channel balance moves to the opposite channel where the lowpass on that channel then moves to a highpass filter and the channel is moved over to the other side again. Do this in different directions or at different rates with different channels on the mixing board and you end up with the mass swirling effects around the head. There's a not entirely dissimilar effect employed on the track I Love You Like A Ball And Chain by The Eurythmics. The effects in this song aren't wholly rotational though.

That's my best working hypothesis anyway. I wonder if they worked on that, or if it happened by chance.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 38
I posted this on another forum and somebody said it was a Flangers effect.

I went to Flanging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And when I listened to the sample, it's not QUITE the same thing. The flanging effect seems to be more like what is more widely used in electronic music, not really that airy-open sensation/sound....could be wrong/bad example on Wiki, but it doesn't have the same effect to me...

Anybody have any other examples like in the 1st post? It's a pretty sweet effect...

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 38
bloody hell nearly made me fall off my chair - that really is strange. I hope one day I'll be able to do things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back