A comparison between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Sony R10
Jun 10, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #46 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...blubliss's SDS-XLR/R10 setup was possibly my favorite setup at CanJam...

It was my favorite.

In fact, it has started me on a quest to find a set of R10's. There was some phenomenal synergy happening there and I bet that the amp used was a significant part of the equation. I am planning on commissioning an amp that has a similar synergy with the can, if possible.

blubliss--do you have a balanced set of HD800's? It would be great if you were able to do a comparison between the balanced 800's and your R10's on the same amp.

Peace,

Lee

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #47 of 196
David,

Looks like you will beat me to it...a comparison, that is. I also am a very lucky owner of the R10's (bass light) and HD800's. I am currently in the process of moving (Hawaii to Maryland) so I have not had the opportunity to listen to a headphone, any headphone, for a few weeks. My HD800's got unpacked last night, and the amp is still in the box. I will try to get the system running today and start breaking-in the HD800's.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #48 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My girlfriend kept insisting my Denons had too much treble and not enough midrange. I just thought it was her untrained ears. Seems I was the one with the untrained ears.
k701smile.gif
(And I'm very fortunate that she encourages me in this hobby and she wants to learn all about it, too. She was with me at CanJam.)

Lucky you!

My wife never enjoy going to HP meets with me. But I must say for her that it's she encouraged/insisted me to get the ES3X
o2smile.gif
-- I thought it too expensive initially.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #49 of 196
might as well post this here, since a lot of good info gets buried in the appreciation thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sitting side by side right comparing the Sony R10s (Bass Heavy) and the HD800s, preparing a review.........Granted my amp is subpar for this sorta thing (its merely a Larocca PRII MKii...... i know laughable to some for this sorta comparison) but my DAC is world class MSB Platinum DAC III.....really really good dac.........I would have a better amp but my money was taken and never returned by Single Power Audio.

The first thing I want to say is that there is NO better here. The HD800 are basically a different flavor of the same quality of greatness that the R10 has. I would imagine that in a back to back listen the R10s would come out more favorable for a few reasons. One they have slightly more bass emphasis and I think the common person really does like bass.....however I prefer the HD800's bass presentation by a considerable margin for being tighter and having a quicker transient response (which is almost like saying tighter anyway)......Another reason the R10s would be prefered is maybe cause they're closed they lock you into the music more. And I have to admit, they are slightly more comfortable, and have a more expensive woody look to it.

That said, the HD800 may be a slightly better headphone (I know I said there are no better here), but we're talking splitting hairs even if I were to proclaim one as better. The HD800 has a wider soundstage, and can image slightly better. The tone is not as gorgeous......I have to think that no headphone will ever again possess as beautiful a tone as the R10. But the sound feels more real, more airy somehow.

If you have an R10 which you already probably have spent at least 5 grand on, do yourself a favor and eventually check out the HD800.......it's an amazing purchase. Wait for the second run of the headphone when they figure out the spring creek issue.
I have the feeling that had I had a better amp, my opinion the R10s would be even more favorable than the HD800......this is why I am hesitant to put up my long review on the matter.....I feel I'd be jipping people if I use a 2 world-class headphones, a 7,000 dollar DAC and a 500 dollar pocket amp, so I'm debating about my longer review. But those are brief impressions for ya

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #51 of 196
I'm happy to loan him an AudioGD C2C. PM me if interested, David.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #52 of 196
My replacement 800s arrived today (first returned due to defect). I won't be able to do a real comparison between them and my R10s (bass-heavy) for a couple weeks, due both to lack of time and a desire for the 800s to break in a bit, but I'll follow this thread with interest in the meantime.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #53 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was my favorite.

In fact, it has started me on a quest to find a set of R10's. There was some phenomenal synergy happening there and I bet that the amp used was a significant part of the equation. I am planning on commissioning an amp that has a similar synergy with the can, if possible.

blubliss--do you have a balanced set of HD800's? It would be great if you were able to do a comparison between the balanced 800's and your R10's on the same amp.

Peace,

Lee

It's all my fault. I dragged you to his table.
frown.gif
Now you're wallet will be lighter and you'll want less graphic work.
frown.gif

k701smile.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #54 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky you!

My wife never enjoy going to HP meets with me. But I must say for her that it's she encouraged/insisted me to get the ES3X
o2smile.gif
-- I thought it too expensive initially.

Here's how it works... the more you spend, the better your system will be. The better your system is, the more your wife will want to listen to music. The more your wife listens to music, the more she'll encourage you to spend.
icon10.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #55 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, someone had to do it. I am fortunate enough to own both of these headphones. I recently let go of a bass-light pair of the R10s, but I held on to the bass heavy R10s I own. I will do a very long review where I intend to compare every possible aspect of the headphones. I will focus primarilly on sound quality, but I will also include comfort and any other suggested comparisons.

I want to spend at least 3 more days burning in my HD800, and letting my ears get used to them. I can say without a doubt, both headphones are the greatest headphones I've ever heard. I also own the HD600, HD650, SA5000, D5000 (unmodded), K701, HFI700, DT990, DT880, DT770 and numerous IEMs including UE10, W3, 2XS, SE530, ER4P

I can say with complete assurance that the HD800 and the R10 are in a different league from all the other headphones mentioned.

In this review the HD800 and R10s will be listened to Single Ended only as I never received my paid-for balanced amp (SDS XLR) from Single Power (and never will I suppose)..

The ONLY amp I currently have is a very good portable amp (Larocca PRII) and unfortunately that is the best I can do for now. My Source will be an extremely beautiful DAC The MSB Platinum DAC III.

My impressions will be typed up within a week. Pictures will be included.

I have been a Sennheiserist all along, from the 580 to the 650. However, I'm about to take the plunge into the 800.

I've always been a Hi-Fi purist too (SACD, etc.). However, I've lost my Hi-Fi dream system (cherchez la femme!
angry_face.gif
) and am temporarily reverting to PC audio. How best would you advise me to run the 800 on a PC? Note: I'm totally new to PC sound!

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #56 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been a Sennheiserist all along, from the 580 to the 650. However, I'm about to take the plunge into the 800.

I've always been a Hi-Fi purist too (SACD, etc.). However, I've lost my Hi-Fi dream system (cherchez la femme!
angry_face.gif
) and am temporarily reverting to PC audio. How best would you advise me to run the 800 on a PC? Note: I'm totally new to PC sound!

What is your budget and what kind of music do you listen to?

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #58 of 196
Quote:

angry_face.gif

To a hard Hi-Fi purist like me a PC transport competitive to my current source will cost too much. It's much cheaper burning my lossless music on CDs and listening on my CDP.
You must define your priority - a sound without compromise or just the easier way
wink_face.gif
A really good PC transport costs $$$$$

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #59 of 196
Quote:

How best would you advise me to run the 800 on a PC? Note: I'm totally new to PC sound!

Depends how much you are willing to spend.
Anyway, the ALO Audio Amphora are said to be a really nice match for the HD800. Matched up with a great DAC you should be on the right track...

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #60 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends how much you are willing to spend.
Anyway, the ALO Audio Amphora are said to be a really nice match for the HD800. Matched up with a great DAC you should be on the right track...

Lately I have been using my HD800 with a Macbook > Pico USB DAC-only > ALO Amphora. With CDs I use my CD5001 > coax Apogee Mini-DAC > Woo WA6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back