A Christmas gift for myself - LCD XC:)
Dec 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jehutymoon

New Head-Fier

Just arrived today, keep running it all day long with my favorite Mozart, Bach and Rachmaninoff. I will give the XC a brief review as soon as it enters into its "honeymoon period" ^_^

A pity that my Northstar Dac32 and SPL Phonitor is not here in my current living city. I ordered a ZDSE as a substitute, hoping it works well with the new XC. If not, there is still HD800 waiting for it...

My first impression for the XC is a well-detailed, open-sounded, soft but relatively neutral headphone compared with my another gear, Byerdynamic Tesla 1. It seems that the new driver of XC (maybe also X) is easier to be driven than the previous versions. 

So far, its a good sounding headphone, capable of being used for a long time without tire. But please do realize its heavy weight^_^

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, here it is!

(Please forgive my English, I am not a English native:)

Just curious, I decided to make my XC an open one... Not having a LCD-X at hand, I can't tell the differences between these two, but the "open-version" LCD-XC really sounds much better than that it wearing the wood case on~

The mid becomes vivid with much more overtone, turning the XC's balance into tiny "warm" side. More transparent, absolutely, as well as more "softly detailed". That's what a real beautiful-sounding planar magnetic shoud perform, in my mind ...^_^

Now, It turns out that I can wear the Open-back XC whole-day-long with great joy due to its juicy overtone and ....... less weight! Additionally, the open-XC reachs a better harmonic echo in a higher volume than the close-XC, with more balanced overall frequency and smooth transitions.

For those LCD-XC owners, it is worth trying~

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 12
I have opened my XC about 2 weeks ago.

here is close up of my XC. It seems like they have some phase corrector and has different layout panel for diaphragm.

Sound absorber at the back plate.  When I opened it, I was so surprised that they are made with solid aluminum through whole housing except that wood cup.

One of my worries about your Mod is that XC was designed as Closed back. therefore all of sound tuning was done as closed back like sound reflection on the housing.

When I removed XC's wood cup, I felt its more opened and airy sound but I I also felt some what dry at the same time. 

I guess it would be better to make it semi open rather then full open back

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 12
I merged both of your threads.

I haven't tried using the XCs with the cups off, but I did see the Fazer system. I think it is what is making the sound more precise (and probably more "analytical") than the older Audeze models.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 12

Just arrived today, keep running it all day long with my favorite Mozart, Bach and Rachmaninoff. I will give the XC a brief review as soon as it enters into its "honeymoon period" ^_^

A pity that my Northstar Dac32 and SPL Phonitor is not here in my current living city. I ordered a ZDSE as a substitute, hoping it works well with the new XC. If not, there is still HD800 waiting for it...

My first impression for the XC is a well-detailed, open-sounded, soft but relatively neutral headphone compared with my another gear, Byerdynamic Tesla 1. It seems that the new driver of XC (maybe also X) is easier to be driven than the previous versions. 

So far, its a good sounding headphone, capable of being used for a long time without tire. But please do realize its heavy weight^_^

great to see another Really Right Stuff user.  :)

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was deciding between an LCD-X and XC for a whole week last week and ended up getting the LCD 2.2 because of its 'value for money', regret it to the core now.

But, after looking at you open your LCD-XC, I wonder if you could put the open cage(?) from an X and on the XC instead, getting sort of 2 headphones in one (if you get what I mean), being able to have an open and closed headphone. Wonder if anyone has tried this or has any input on how that would work out. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 12
  Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was deciding between an LCD-X and XC for a whole week last week and ended up getting the LCD 2.2 because of its 'value for money', regret it to the core now.

But, after looking at you open your LCD-XC, I wonder if you could put the open cage(?) from an X and on the XC instead, getting sort of 2 headphones in one (if you get what I mean), being able to have an open and closed headphone. Wonder if anyone has tried this or has any input on how that would work out. 

This is worth finding the answer to. So are the drivers different between the X and XC or are all the internals the same?

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Can LCD -XC be transformed into LCD -X ?

Sure, if you want to void the warranty on your $2K headphones by removing the back.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Any more info on whether the only difference between the XC and X models is the grills?

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 12
  Any more info on whether the only difference between the XC and X models is the grills?

As far as we know, the drivers and aluminum housing and baffle and all that is identical.

However, I'm sure there are dampening inside the cup as seen above, as well as special tuning specifically because it is a closed headphones.

Either way, not worth finding out as Audeze explicitly forbids opening it, and you'd lose the entire warranty if you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back