A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #63 of 135
  OK, somebody tell me, according to Shure, the low-pass filter makes it a true subwoofer... does it mean it can surpass the dynamic drivers or even the actual (full-size) subwoofers? Thanks,... :)

The bass is actually phenomenal, and I'm not a fan of the word at all. It's very nice, albeit a bit overemphasized at times; it's very accurate to a true subwoofer indeed.

Oh yeah, and one more thing (I'm still a rookie for IEMs, so pls mind me asking silly questions), I thought it won't be sold until next year or something, how on earth did you get to try it out??? :D

I own it, it's been out since mid July.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #64 of 135
Curious how the measurements on the 846 went so sideways.  They sound good by all account but measure, frequency response aside, like arse.  Wonder why?

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #65 of 135
From my perspective, the sound changed a great deal after the burn in. A month into my 846 and the bass has settled in and the treble has opened up.

Another possibility is the imput impedance of 9ohm. The sound of the 846 is VERY dependent on the source.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #66 of 135
Just spit balling here but in looking at the freqphase it strikes me that Shure's bass tunnel is the anti freqphase.  If freqphase brings the waves from all the BAs to the ear at once... the bass tunnel puts the bass way out of time from the others no?

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #67 of 135
The frequencies appear to my ear to arrive together. Shure could have built in a micro second delay into the crossover of the mids and treble to compensate. Or the difference is not detectable to my ears (probably the case).

I think both the SE846 and the JH freq phase attack the problem inherent in using an all BA driver system to inhance the clarity and depth of the bass without overwhelming the mids. The hybrids like the AKG 3001 and 1plus2 are the other way to deal with the problem.

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #68 of 135
Time alignment would sound like precise staging, highly focused sound.  Any fuzziness or instruments taking more than a pinpoint in space would be delay.  Given the distance it's not like it'll smear enough to notice it as a separate thing :wink:  So pinpoint or fuzzy?

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #69 of 135
Without question or hesitation pinpoint. However in all fairness I am the wrong person to ask. My SE846 is far from stock. I have an LOD feeding an RSA Protector amp with balanced OCC silver cables to the SE846. In my experience a balanced set up is more detailed with great coherence and PRaT then a single output.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #72 of 135

The bass is actually phenomenal, and I'm not a fan of the word at all. It's very nice, albeit a bit overemphasized at times; it's very accurate to a true subwoofer indeed.

I own it, it's been out since mid July.

So you mean it can match up to those dynamic drivers???
smily_headphones1.gif

It outclasses most of what's on the market currently 
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #75 of 135
Just spit balling here but in looking at the freqphase it strikes me that Shure's bass tunnel is the anti freqphase.  If freqphase brings the waves from all the BAs to the ear at once... the bass tunnel puts the bass way out of time from the others no?

That bass tunnel is actually a filter, meaning it's supposed to cut out frequencies. It's not meant to introduce some kind of delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back