A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846
Sep 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #31 of 135
  Hey just for the laughs want to give a comprehensive comparison to those Ferrari models they sent you instead as well?
biggrin.gif

What are those red tips on the 846 though? they can't be the stock ones... or are they?

Ahaa, the Scuderia R300... Yeah, let's just say I was disappointed when I got those instead of the K3003 
redface.gif

I used the stock monster tips on the SE846 to open up the highs some more. The Shure olives are comfy, but really sacrifice extension. My preference with the SE846 is the monster silicon tips with high boost filter, and even then, the highs are not nearly as crisp as the AKG's.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #32 of 135

Ahaa, the Scuderia R300... Yeah, let's just say I was disappointed when I got those instead of the K3003 
redface.gif

I used the stock monster tips on the SE846 to open up the highs some more. The Shure olives are comfy, but really sacrifice extension. My preference with the SE846 is the monster silicon tips with high boost filter, and even then, the highs are not nearly as crisp as the AKG's.

then I guess depend on insert depth. Most of well sealing iem gets better extension on high when you put it in deeper.  

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 135

then I guess depend on insert depth. Most of well sealing iem gets better extension on high when you put it in deeper.  

I definitely have a deep fit with a perfect seal, I'm glad IEM's fit my ear well! IEM's are subject to huge variance from user to user because, albeit it being universal fit, it doesn't always fit the way it does on someone else.

If you still have the SE846 on you, I recommend you fiddle around with tips and use the treble filter 
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'd be curious to hear your opinion some more.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 19, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #34 of 135
Do you guys think getting customs just for audio listening is worth it? I feel like investing in something like the JH16's or some tralucent CIEMS. Any other suggestions? And I know the CIEM's fit your ears exactly but don't they hurt after a few hours of use? I could imagine it hurting due to the tightness? 

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 135
  Do you guys think getting customs just for audio listening is worth it? I feel like investing in something like the JH16's or some tralucent CIEMS. Any other suggestions? And I know the CIEM's fit your ears exactly but don't they hurt after a few hours of use? I could imagine it hurting due to the tightness? 

It varies by ear. Some can wear them for a long time with no issue. Some not as long without issues. You also have to factor in fit issues. It's very rare to not have fit issues with CIEMs. Many have to send them back for refits to get things working properly. Note the Tralucents don't come in CIEM form but only in Universal form. The plus to a universal is that you have a noticeably higher resale value in the event you decide to sell. With CIEMs you take a large loss due to them being CIEMs. To my knowledge JH Audio doesn't do reshells for their IEMs so the person who buys them from you would have to get them reshelled from another company. You'd have to factor all this in in the event you do decide to sell and how much you'll lose in that case due to this.

Ultimately it will be up to you to decide if it is worth it or not. I personally feel my 1Plus2 and SE5s are worth it based on sound quality alone.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #36 of 135

It varies by ear. Some can wear them for a long time with no issue. Some not as long without issues. You also have to factor in fit issues. It's very rare to not have fit issues with CIEMs. Many have to send them back for refits to get things working properly. Note the Tralucents don't come in CIEM form but only in Universal form. The plus to a universal is that you have a noticeably higher resale value in the event you decide to sell. With CIEMs you take a large loss due to them being CIEMs. To my knowledge JH Audio doesn't do reshells for their IEMs so the person who buys them from you would have to get them reshelled from another company. You'd have to factor all this in in the event you do decide to sell and how much you'll lose in that case due to this.

Ultimately it will be up to you to decide if it is worth it or not. I personally feel my 1Plus2 and SE5s are worth it based on sound quality alone.

Oh right. Thanks. How come they have issues? I mean its a mold of your ear... Are the 1plus2 the best UIEM?

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #37 of 135

Oh right. Thanks. How come they have issues? I mean its a mold of your ear... Are the 1plus2 the best UIEM?

Generally the makers say any issues that you'll have would be the fault of you and the audiologist when creating your ear molds. Although I do think that's not 100% accurate either. It could also be errors made on their end but of course they won't admit to that generally.

It's subjective to say the 1Plus2 are the best universal IEM. But IMO they are the best universals I've heard to date. Technically I still find them better overall than even my SE5 which I paid more for and had to jump through a bunch of hoops to acquire. You'll also have good support with Tralucent Audio. They have very good customer service. I'm not sure if you've read up on the thread but the impressions from various members may be of some help to you.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #38 of 135

I definitely have a deep fit with a perfect seal, I'm glad IEM's fit my ear well! IEM's are subject to huge variance from user to user because, albeit it being universal fit, it doesn't always fit the way it does on someone else.

If you still have the SE846 on you, I recommend you fiddle around with tips and use the treble filter 
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'd be curious to hear your opinion some more.p

As you said I played with tips and I used some other manufactures tips like old shure olive tips and phonak  pfe series tips. I find phonak pfe tip and old shure olive tip help to extend high. 
I also used pfe's tips on Weston w4, I do find high is much more extended.  I think wider diameter of the hole size, more treble you can get
Now with phonak pfe series tip I can hear around 12hz~13khz.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #39 of 135
Well, now i only need to win the lottery or something....

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #40 of 135

Generally the makers say any issues that you'll have would be the fault of you and the audiologist when creating your ear molds. Although I do think that's not 100% accurate either. It could also be errors made on their end but of course they won't admit to that generally.

It's subjective to say the 1Plus2 are the best universal IEM. But IMO they are the best universals I've heard to date. Technically I still find them better overall than even my SE5 which I paid more for and had to jump through a bunch of hoops to acquire. You'll also have good support with Tralucent Audio. They have very good customer service. I'm not sure if you've read up on the thread but the impressions from various members may be of some help to you.

Oh right. Thank you. What do I say to my audiologist? "Hey, can I get my ears moulded for musician monitors"? I could imagine it being pricey too.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #41 of 135
You have to follow the directions provided by the IEM company you decide to go with. You'd have to contact them and obtain the directions and take them with you when you get your impressions. My impressions were about $64.00. You need to ensure the Audiologist follows the directions. If they give you problems about it then just walk out. If the impressions don't meet the company's standards they will reject them and require you to redo your impressions. Or worse yet they go ahead and make the IEM and you have fit issues.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #42 of 135
  You have to follow the directions provided by the IEM company you decide to go with. You'd have to contact them and obtain the directions and take them with you when you get your impressions. My impressions were about $64.00. You need to ensure the Audiologist follows the directions. If they give you problems about it then just walk out. If the impressions don't meet the company's standards they will reject them and require you to redo your impressions. Or worse yet they go ahead and make the IEM and you have fit issues.

Man thats complicated haha. I rather just buy UIEM's

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #43 of 135
It's compressed to 16/44.1 from the software, but fact remains that it was a higher format file and Accudio does make advantage of it. It's audibly better than the same tracks ripped into standard bitrate.

Sounds pointless, but the dynamic range is clearly less compressed.

So in this case, iphone lossless audio player capable playing music higher than 16/44.1 with Accudio apps ?
I tohught that there will be no difference if the music source is coming from an iPhone ?

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #44 of 135
Very helpful review! As a K3003i owner I'm really interested in how much better the SE846 is vs. the K3003i.

The SE846's treble is a concern but I'm thinking that aftermarket cables and experimenting with silicon tips might improve the highs.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #45 of 135
Thanks for your post.It is so helpful and good comparison.I want to ask a question.I'm currently using IE800 for 3 months.And I want to buy 846.I love new tastes.I'm so curious aboout 846.I wanna now how is the sound of 846 at max volumes.Can it be hars or distortion?I'm using İtouch 4G and HTC 8X for listening.I wanna know which one can be better IE800 or SE846 ? And which nozzle filter is the best for most genres music ? Did you try or do you use IE800 ? 

And is SE846 worth 1000$ ?

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back