A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846
Sep 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 135

It could be a different master and that could make all the difference. 

Oh sorry, that could be very true, and I wasn't very clear. I compared a few times with my own downsampled rips of said files. I was skeptical about Accudio at first, but it does sound quite a bit better than the mediocre default Iphone 5 player. Too bad the software is glitchy and sometimes crashes, I still use it albeit those drawbacks because sound > anything else lol.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 135
Thank you for the great review.

I use K3003 + iPhone 4S to do my portable listening. I also find Accudio Pro very useful and sounds really good. Therefore your review is very useful to me.

Cheers.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #20 of 135
 Great review  ! Which set do you feel would benefit most with an amp such as ALO V2 [tube] or the Vorzuge or equivalent with bass boost ? Again I would like to thank you for the review it is very informative !

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #22 of 135
 Great review  ! Which set do you feel would benefit most with an amp such as ALO V2 [tube] or the Vorzuge or equivalent with bass boost ? Again I would like to thank you for the review it is very informative !

I'm tempted to say the AKG K3003 would yield better results, but I would need to hear it first. Sorry about that.

Keep in mind that these iem's are sensitive, so you don't need to worry about power.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 135
Good review!

here is my short opinion on se846

for my point of view, 846 was one of the worst earphone I ever exprianced in price range over $700..sub-bass to mid was wonderful but as soon as treble appears, I was so disappointed...
even with high boost filter, I could not able to hear any harmonics of instrumental over 10khz...it rolls of so fast that all of information over 10khz is just not there...extension on treble
was horrible.....other than that se846 was very pleasant to listen~
If you are metal head or some music that need wide & full range of frequency, try to avoid 846. but if you are more in to vocal, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, saxophone, piano ETC, se846 will serve you very well and will make your music much more alive.

ps. Audeze has similar types of sound as shure iem but the difference is the extension.
LCD-2&3 can play up to at least 16khz. It is not as vivid ad Sennhieser HD800 ot beyeerdynamic T1, but you can still hear those extension on highs.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #24 of 135
My heart was set on buying the SE846, but now reading about the treble has got me worried. What other iems have you listened to? I'm wondering because there might be a possibility that we have heard the same iem that can be used as a reference for comparison.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 135
  My heart was set on buying the SE846, but now reading about the treble has got me worried. What other iems have you listened to? I'm wondering because there might be a possibility that we have heard the same iem that can be used as a reference for comparison.

I do own AKG K3003, Sennhieser IE800 and I just tried se846 for 5 hours today( I rent my ie800 and I borrowed se846)
as far as I can hear, ie800 has the most extended  high. In terms of frequency extension,  ie800> K3003> SE846 would be the order.

However Ie800 has bit of laid back mid.

AKG k3003 is well defined overall FR range but there is just little lack of sub bass.

SE846 is well done up to mid~mid high, but extension was lacking. 

so its all depending your taste.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 135
I don't have or listened to any of those. Kinda funny that those were the three iems I am considering purchasing except I am only going to purchase one of them and I thought the SE846 would fit the bill. If only the K3003 had replaceable cables. Does anyone know what kind of support AKG has when their products are out of warranty? It would be a nightmare scenario for me if the cable failed outside of warranty.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #27 of 135
  I don't have or listened to any of those. Kinda funny that those were the three iems I am considering purchasing except I am only going to purchase one of them and I thought the SE846 would fit the bill. If only the K3003 had replaceable cables. Does anyone know what kind of support AKG has when their products are out of warranty? It would be a nightmare scenario for me if the cable failed outside of warranty.

I had issue with cable before on my k3003 so I claim warranty.
Once you let distributor know that you have problem with ur iem, distributor they will send you shipping labels
and send them back to distributor(Not the local shop) they just give you sealed brand new k3003.
however if warranty is finished, then...you are out of your luck though.....(that's where replaceable cable got the advantage)

All of tree IEM is Great, we can say one of the best in the world.
you just need to know what you are looking for from iem and it will make your perches easier~!
Since I did not know what I really wanted from iem, I end up buying both k3003 and ie800 and tried se846 lol..

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #28 of 135
Hey just for the laughs want to give a comprehensive comparison to those Ferrari models they sent you instead as well?
biggrin.gif

What are those red tips on the 846 though? they can't be the stock ones... or are they?

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #29 of 135
To my ear I am picking up the sounds generally associated above 10kHz (the harmonics). It may be because I am running it through a balanced amp (RSA Protector) and balanced OCC silver cables. The lastest graph on the 846 had the terminal roll off at about 13-14kHz if that graph is accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back