A breakthrough in comparing sound!
Jun 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Okay, of course it doesn't work completely, but I don't think it's a complete disaster either. Even through my crappy computer speakers I can hear that the DT770 is drier, less euphonically coloured and has more punchy bass than the HD650. Which is what you would expect the differences to be. Perhaps with a better setup, such as a dummyhead with microphones you could actually create a database of samples that would give a very approximate idea of what certain headphones sound like. At the very least you could give total noobs an idea of the variety of sound signatures available from headphones. Of course, when playing back those samples through your own equipment you'll end up colouring them again, so in the end even the wildly diverging written listening impressions are probably a better guide, but there is at least a bit of merrit to it...

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, of course it doesn't work completely, but I don't think it's a complete disaster either. Even through my crappy computer speakers I can hear that the DT770 is drier, less euphonically coloured and has more punchy bass than the HD650. Which is what you would expect the differences to be. Perhaps with a better setup, such as a dummyhead with microphones you could actually create a database of samples that would give a very approximate idea of what certain headphones sound like. At the very least you could give total noobs an idea of the variety of sound signatures available from headphones. Of course, when playing back those samples through your own equipment you'll end up colouring them again, so in the end even the wildly diverging written listening impressions are probably a better guide, but there is at least a bit of merrit to it...

I agree. it could be a good system to get a aproximate sound of a headphone. especially accross different brands.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 12
on Home Theather forums, ppl who don't believe in projection screen screenshots always say "taking photos of a projection screen is like making a mp3 of your speakers"...well, guess what...he's done it!
beerchug.gif

I thought the HD650 had recessed highs? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back