A bit of a Head-Fi Disaster- Emergency Help Needed If Possible...
Nov 12, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #31 of 92
Just to clarify what's been said:

You formed a contract with the seller for him to provide the phones to the carrier service well packed.

How "well packed" they were according to what is a reasonable definition of the term is disputed.

That the damage resulted from them not being "well packed" by your definintion is likely, according to your description of the event but can't be proven.

Considering the relative gravity/stupidity of the two errors- not getting insurance and not packing the phones like an $800 item. IMHO, the seller could hardly be held liable for the majority of the loss..

If I were him (which I wouldn't be, I've already made enough costly mistakes dealing on the net), I'd be working my ass off to help you in what ever way would be most effective to help you get by.

I really hope everything works out ok, sometimes you've just got to be thankful you've got enough to eat and study (and more importantly, have a few friends). Probably doesn't make you feel better but it's just how I deal with things.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #32 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
How do you know those of us who are trying to help this "kid" financially aren't donating in other respects?

I made no such assumptions. My point is simply that a donation offer to help someone cope with his broken $800 headphone shouldn't be treated as a humanitarian action. It borders on obscenity.

That is like me donating $100 to an out-of-work **** actor for a penile enlargement, and you telling me, "you're a good man, atx! it restores my faith in humanity!" Give me a break.

Also, there's nothing admirable about broadcasting one's donation offer or "good deeds" to the public. Such could've been made in a PM without turning this thread into a humanitarian drama.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #33 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Also, there's nothing admirable about broadcasting one's donation offer or "good deeds" to the public. Such could've been made in a PM without turning this thread into a humanitarian drama.

While the rest of your points are unfair, pessimistic, and overexaggerated, I fully agree with this one. "Let not the one hand see what the other is doing." I always thought that was an excellent rule of thumb.

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #34 of 92
Well, there'll always be cynics, won't there?
plainface.gif

What's important now is that the matter is solved. It's real sad when we discuss about silly situations when the main matter at hand is not solved. Humanitarian or otherwise, if we don't have help to offer to the OP, I believe we shouldn't be making any noise around here.

Hence, I'll keep my mouth shut. I'd really like to help, but have none of the expertise nor means.
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #36 of 92
Hi,
I sold him the Phones, I had never sent expensive stuff and packed them in the same way that they came to me. Same box, same pellets etc etc. I tested them out right before they left me and there was no issue. I had a few friends with a good ear listen to them before they went out and they were fine. I in part blame myself for not shipping them in the correct manner, and have completely agreed to pay for half of the repair costs. If someone could step up and offer some L3000 drivers we would both be very grateful. You can't send them back to AT because they are Frankenstein phones...

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I made no such assumptions. My point is simply that a donation offer to help someone cope with his broken $800 headphone shouldn't be treated as a humanitarian action. It borders on obscenity.

That is like me donating $100 to an out-of-work **** actor for a penile enlargement, and you telling me, "you're a good man, atx! it restores my faith in humanity!" Give me a break.

To my recollection, you are the one who turned this into a "humanitarian drama" as you so say. And yes it could have been sent as a PM as I could have done many other things.

Also, I think we will both agree that the context is somewhat different. This guy and your actor don't compare.

I find interresting that you would cringe at the idea of someone giving him money to help while you wouldn't at the idea of others in this forum simply giving advice. Is it because you consider that giving advice won't help him much, which is a good thing because he shouldn't be helped? Whereas monetary help, in your mind, would definitely help him more which is clearly unacceptable to you? Both can be equally helpful to a degree and yet, did others send him a PM to give him advice? The weight of money I'm afraid still has a big place in our lives. Too big a place. I'm curious, what's so different about monetary help that makes you react this way?

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 92
Ahh well, I hope the OP gets it all worked out.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #39 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor
I find interresting that you would cringe at the idea of someone giving him money to help while you wouldn't at the idea of others in this forum simply giving advice.

I don't have any issue with someone donating money, but I cringe at the idea that such an act (in this specific context) is considered humanitarian. It's a ridiculous exaggeration. This is like treating basketball players as "heroes" -- they're nothing but thugs who knows how to put balls into holes, nothing more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Condor
I'm curious, what's so different about monetary help that makes you react this way?

It's all in the difference between being "dumb" and being "stupid." Dumb is when you don't know any better. Stupid is when you know better, but do it anyway. There's no fault in being dumb, but there's fault in being stupid. You can't blame someone for being dumb-- this is who they are.

Smoking is stupid. If a smoker gets lung cancer, I won't be donating any money for his cancer treatment.

Is what the op did dumb or stupid? Maybe that explains my reaction better.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #40 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I don't have any issue with someone donating money, but I cringe at the idea that such an act (in this specific context) is considered humanitarian. It's a ridiculous exaggeration. This is like treating basketball players as "heroes" -- they're nothing but thugs who knows how to put balls into holes, nothing more.

Some of these so called "thugs" donate thousands to humanitarian causes.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

Look away then. Maybe you shoul read the definition of humanitarian first if you plan on playing semantic games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
It's all in the difference between being "dumb" and being "stupid." Dumb is when you don't know any better. Stupid is when you know better, but do it anyway. There's no fault in being dumb, but there's fault in being stupid. You can't blame someone for being dumb-- this is who they are.

Smoking is stupid. If a smoker gets lung cancer, I won't be donating any money for his cancer treatment.

It sure does explain it. I'm afraid I find your reactions and examples a bit coarse and unsophisticated.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #42 of 92
I'm sorry to hear about this Rob... let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

t106091cjz4.jpg

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #44 of 92
I could not agree with ATX more. Kid buys crazy expensive headphones when he knows he has a bill due at semester...and (oh by the way) and amp to boot. Then he posts this as an "emergency". Emotionally drained over the experience? Literally broke? I understand college kids are prone to do stupid stuff (having been one myself a decade ago), but come on.

I'm not sure I necessarily have an issue with donating money...its a personal decision, nor do I think the kid is wrong asking for advice. I was just disgusted at the level of drama in his original post.

And for those of those who believe posts like this are pessimistic, unfair, stressful to the OP...its a public forum. If he has the stones to post a drama like this, then he needs to brace for impact. Like an old CO of mine used to say, "most people give themselves just enough rope to hang with". Probably should have planned for more rope in this instance so he could pull himself out instead of hanging.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #45 of 92
At least he's not taking money out of his student loan to finance his drugdealing roomates business... like I did in College.
redface.gif

Give Rob a break, he is a nice guy and is looking for advice and help here. Take your negative ******** somewhere else. I am sure that he will learn from this experience without your comments. What exactly are you trying to prove here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back