A bit lost: IEMs comparable to JVC FXH30 (around $50, for classical only)
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sakura90

New Head-Fier
I did read guides, looked around but I'm still a bit lost.

Some background. I've been using the JVC FXH30 since late 2014. I was so happy with them that down the line I bought a 2nd pair as backup. As I imagined, a few months ago, one day I lost my 1st pair. While in a rough shape they still worked perfectly, no other IEM ever lasted me so long before while using it almost everyday on the go. So the backup kicked in and all was good. But now I'd better look for another backup.

While I could get them from Japan (damn JVC for not going international) it's a bit of a hassle. I was wondering if there where something comparable. Target budget around $50 and I only listen to classical music (orchestras, that thing)

I was reading threads but the sounds descriptions kinda go over me. Almost 5 years with the same thing, barely trying some IEM I could get my hands on here and there. And nothing came close to the FXH30. And nothing I've used before came close. You have: A = Analytical; Ba = Balanced; Bs = Bass; M = Mid; WS = Warm + Sweet.
Without having heard examples, except for bass, I guess I won't be able to tell the difference even if my life depended on it.

You have this review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jvc-canal-type-earphone-ha-fxh30.20872/
If I had to put the sound in words I'd say it's accurate. They seem to "win" against the TITAN 1, which he says have strong bass. But go here and "cons: lack bass": https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/du...iaphragm-earphones.20491/reviews#review-18188

Great.

TL;DR
Anyone who tried the JVC FXH30 can recommend an IEM with a similar sound at a price point of around $50? I listen to 99% classical music if it's of any use.

At this point, considering how complicated sound looks, I think I'm better off going the extra mile and bringing yet another pair of FXH30s from Japan (they are 4000 JPY, or around 3500 on a good day)
TL;DR /end

P.S.: Back in the day I brought big hauls of Japanese products. Now I rarely need anything so I'd have to ship the IEM alone or buy some other random tat on purpose to better utilize the shipping.

And forget of going to a store or anywhere to try anything. There are no stores here with decent IEMs.

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 4
SoundMAGIC E11.
This. Price is right and has the signature you are looking for. I will warn you that the build quality of SoundMagic stuff can be questionable. They are good about taking shipments back and replacing your stuff but as a customer you will likely be the front line of QA as well. This being said, you get good quality audio for the price.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 4
This. Price is right and has the signature you are looking for. I will warn you that the build quality of SoundMagic stuff can be questionable. They are good about taking shipments back and replacing your stuff but as a customer you will likely be the front line of QA as well. This being said, you get good quality audio for the price.
Huh. I have a seven year-old pair of E10s that have been positively bullied and remain in functioning shape. YMMV, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back