A better HD280pro?
May 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by patates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, jeez, I'm a jackass for using a hd280.
frown.gif

That's not an amp, it's a sound card. Seeing that setting my ears on fire is better than hd280, I am not surprised you think k501 is superior. But maybe it won't be as good as another option? I'm just guessing here. You are the guys with the knowledge. I'm just a jackass
frown.gif

Haha...we're all just having some fun here so relax! I thought very highly of the HD280 when I first got it. However, as you venture into other offerings, you'll realize its shortcomings. Most notably, harsh highs, dullness, and serious comfort issue.

The K501 on the other hand is in another league in both sonically and in terms of comfort.

May 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 32
But it seems like you still didn't get rid of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, as I've checked K501 seems to be an open design and hard to drive.
I'm looking most seriously towards ath m50 currently.

Their wood offerings look great as well! But mostly with dual cables and low or nonexistant isolation.

Thanks to everyone involved.

May 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #19 of 32
Don't listen to the naysayers. The HD280s are good at what they do, but for music I find they need a "loudness curve" EQ to recess the mids a tad, otherwise they sound dull as others have mentioned. Otherwise they are versatile, easy to drive, very detailed and extended for their price range and isolate more than almost any other full-size pair of phones.

So, which of these features did you prefer the most?

EDIT: also, do you need isolation, or are open cans preferable? I like my Senn 650s for mixing, as their bass level is roughly at where your average playback will take place.

May 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #20 of 32
Moogoob's Big Question: So, while there's so much talk of the effects of amps, DACs, interconnects etc. why do we ignore the massive changes in presentation that can occur in any headcans simply by turning that dial on the front of our amps an eighth turn?

IMO, if your headphone presentation changes as you turn your volume up, that perhaps implies your headphone's being underpowered with the volume knob at certain level.

May 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Hello.
My HD280 finally died, and I have to replace it.

just curious... how does a headphone "die"?

May 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moogoob's Big Question: So, while there's so much talk of the effects of amps, DACs, interconnects etc. why do we ignore the massive changes in presentation that can occur in any headcans simply by turning that dial on the front of our amps an eighth turn?

IMO, if your headphone presentation changes as you turn your volume up, that perhaps implies your headphone's being underpowered with the volume knob at certain level.

This is better off in PM than in a thread, but I'll bite. Due to the different way that the human ears perceive relative frequencies at loud, medium and quiet volumes, headphones appear to change presentation-wise when volume is adjusted. This is why my 325is sound smooth at low volume and agressive at high volume.

May 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 32
moogoob, I like all the things I've said about it. In short, it's convenient. I like the single side coiled cable, being easily driven, good sealing in and out. I wouldn't mind better sounding or more comfortable headphones.

I swivel them a lot, take them on and off frequently. So absolutely no in-ear-canal, and preferably no dual cabled.

muffin, they still work well, but there is very little plastic left on the brace, and the pads are incredibly worn. I'm still using them right now, but my long hair disagrees with what I'm doing.

May 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

moogoob, I like all the things I've said about it. In short, it's convenient. I like the single side coiled cable, being easily driven, good sealing in and out. I wouldn't mind better sounding or more comfortable headphones.

I swivel them a lot, take them on and off frequently. So absolutely no in-ear-canal, and preferably no dual cabled.

muffin, they still work well, but there is very little plastic left on the brace, and the pads are incredibly worn. I'm still using them right now, but my long hair disagrees with what I'm doing.

Ow. I'd suggest replacing the pads, but replacing the HD280's pads is such an exercise in tedium that you'd be better off just buying a new pair.
tongue.gif
Seriously, give the 380s a shot. From what I've heard they're an improvement in just about every way, and I'd like to hear more impressions on those cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 32
Well, if I may be blunt, they are expensive for a slightly better hd280. This is also meant to be a venture for me. I've checked some other stuff on the internet to the best of my abilities. I liked d2000, and ath esw9 but they are both dual cabled and I'm not sure if I can drive them easily.

M50 seems to be the best contender for me now.

May 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #26 of 32
the M50 sounds right up your alley. easy to drive and sound great. if you can wait a few months, as another poster mentioned, the new closed line up from shure might be excellent and they are very reasonable price wise.

May 13, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 32
M50 may be the way to go, then. D2000s don't have the best isolation, if that's important to you.

May 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen to the naysayers.

Because your opinion is more valid than mine?

Quote:

The HD280s are good at what they do, but for music...

lol?

Quote:

...I find they need a "loudness curve" EQ to recess the mids a tad, otherwise they sound dull as others have mentioned.

So, as long as you don't want to listen to music they're fine, if you do want to listen to music, they're dull but this can be fixed by spiking up the treble and the bass. Thats awesome ¬ _¬

Quote:

Otherwise they are versatile...

So other than being bad for listening to music they're versatile. How great for a headphone, I've always wanted a headphone thats got that sort of versaility, can I use it to mix up tile grout?

Quote:

...easy to drive...

They aren't actually that easy to drive, they're just so rubbish that that they just don't improve very much at all with good amplification

Quote:

...very detailed and extended for their price range...

So extended that you have to EQ up the treble to make them sound worthwhile?

Quote:

...and isolate more than almost any other full-size pair of phones.

Read: Clamp your head like a mother****er trying to make your brains stream out of your nose.

May 14, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #30 of 32
I'm wondering what Duggeh recommends as an alternative to HD-280 for the same price, esp. since the OP states pretty clearly what his requirements are and that he's open to ideas and is not married to HD-280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back