A better HD280pro?
May 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

patates

New Head-Fier
Hello.
My HD280 finally died, and I have to replace it.
While I'm at it, I'm considering an upgrade, and I'd love your input.

Sound quality is of course important, but anything good is good enough for me.
What I need is mostly features.

I need closed cans.

I like the cable of hd280. coiled, short when appropriate, long when needed. Very tough. Doesn't ever get in the way.

I also like cable entrance being on one side. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I've worn hd280s 12 hrs every day. on and off. Comfort is an issue. And pads should be resistant to beard rasping.

That's about it. Sturdy closed cans, with a good cable. Preferebly with designated adapter, but 1/4 is good too.

Sorry for long post.
Thanks for answering.

May 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 32
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. It's a huge improvement in every way. It's a lot more comfortable. Isolation is about the same. (It might have a tad less but it's such a small difference that it's really negligible, and it's a small trade-off for the improvements in comfort.) It has the same one-sided coiled cord (which is detachable now). Sound-wise, it's a bit warmer than the 280 but it actually has bass impact.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones: Electronics

May 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 32
I'd try setting fire to your ears. That will be a definite improvement over your old 280.

May 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 32
IMO, there is nothing better at what the HD280 is good at.

I would try the suggestion above.

Why don't you tell us what you like about the HD280 and we'll go from there.
tongue.gif

May 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 32
thanks for the replies everyone.

What I like about hd280? apart from what I've already said, it's easily driven and it produces sounds
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm using headphones for both monitoring, and listening to music. Mostly ECM jazz, if it's important.

So the choices are m50, German Maestro, dt250 and fire.
German maestro and m50 are looking good. Fire is looking especially bad.

But I wouldn't know how to get a german maestro. the m50 looks to be it.

Again thanks for the helpful replies.

May 13, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 32
If Jazz is your thing, then there's hardly any competition(IMO) against the K501 that cost around $150 used in the FS forum.

The K501 has ridiculously smooth mids, well defined bass, excellent clarity, imaging and soundstage width.

May 13, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd try setting fire to your ears. That will be a definite improvement over your old 280.

Indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, there is nothing better at what the HD280 is good at.

Thats because it's good at nothing.

May 13, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by patates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will plug it directly to a Line6 ux2 though. will it be enough to drive the k501?

I don't have experience with that particular amp, but I'm willing to put my faith in the K501's superiority over the HD280 even unamped. The HD280 was my first audiophile can by the way.

May 13, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 32
ok, jeez, I'm a jackass for using a hd280.
frown.gif

That's not an amp, it's a sound card. Seeing that setting my ears on fire is better than hd280, I am not surprised you think k501 is superior. But maybe it won't be as good as another option? I'm just guessing here. You are the guys with the knowledge. I'm just a jackass
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back