a better etymotic cable?
Apr 7, 2002 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
So the truth of the matter is that I'm not overly pleased with the stock Etymotic cable. Numerous people tell me the Fixup cable is much better... but the Fixup cable uses Radio Shack parts.

So what would be a good lightweight, flexible, non-microphonic cable that I could turn into an Etymotic cable by following the stuff on Fixup? Are there any cables out there that come pre-wrapped in cloth? What materials tend to be less microphonic? What am I looking for in the perfect Etymotic cable?

Apr 7, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 27
Maybe after all the HD600 user get their Cardas cable you could get a hold of the used Sennheisser cable and make one using that wire. I have the FIX-UP cable and I really don't notice any sonic difference. You could always just try one of the cables. I just might give it a try since my stock HD600 cable is in/out on the right channel.

Lextek
cool.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 27
I mean...they "are" a pleasure to workout and sleep with.
Freudian ebonics.

Apr 9, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 27
Geez, I just e-mailed a few DIFM dudes around here asking if they would be willing to fabricate the "Perfect Ety Cable"!

I told them there would certainly be a market for the damned things and, sho' 'nuff, they is.

Here's what I want (in order of importance):

1. A 1/4" termination (tired of using adapters...surely this will be at least a *minor* sonics upgrade)

2. Reduced microphonics WITHOUT a reduction in sound quality (and, hopefully, an increase in sound quality).

3. An option extra foot or two (6 feet is perfect for me).

4. A non-insane price (the fixup price range would be really nice)

5. A choice of audiophile-standard resistors (for instance, if one wanted a "middle ground" value between the 4P and 4S...like 50 or 75, say)

I e-mailed the Fixup dude, but he hasn't responded. Hopefully someone will pick this up, because I believe that there is a strong demand for this product.

- Matt

Apr 9, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 27
Matt

I've emailed the Fixup guy too. He is willing to use different materials but did not have better cable suggestions.

The Canare 1/8" adapter is probably the best out there for 1/8" termination. For 1/4" termination, WBT would probably be best but Cardas is the more affordable choice.

The cable itself is now the hard part. I don't know what qualities make a cable more or less microphonic. The Sennheiser stock cable is more microphonic than other cables I've used. I don't think this is only a matter of its outer coating but I do consider that a factor. I don't know whether a cloth sleeving would prove better. The cloth covered W2002 cable was the least microphonic headphone cable I've used, though.

Apr 13, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 27
Ok, Chych is suggesting 4 pairs of teflon covered cat5s (Radio Shack listing) as a quality light-weight flexible non-microphonic solution. What do you guys think?

Apparently WBT does NOT make a 1/4" connector. Does anyone know where I can order the Cardas?

Apr 13, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 27
Wouldn't CAT5 be a little thick and bulky for ER-4's? It would be like Clous are to HD600's. Except, the extra weight might place unbearable strain on your ears (ie. threaten to pull them right out) and not allow you to wrap them over your earlobe to relieve the strain.

Apr 13, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 27
Not the entire cable dlow, you would strip it and just use 1 of the 4 pairs per channel, the stuff is quite light... but it isn't as flexible as I would like it to be, so there a problem may arise. However, I do not know how microphonic cat5 is... the cat5 headphone extension I made is not microphonic but I can't tell how it will be with etymotics...

Apr 14, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 27
I don't really think that would be much of an improvement. Maybe less microphonics, but stiffer. Maybe Cardas would consider the Ety project?

Lextek
cool.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 27
Which cable are we talking about here? I found the ER4P cable to be more of a problem than the ER4S cable, if clipped properly.

The diy cable is a no go for me. I already engage the foam plugs as far as the stock connector will allow. The gap shown in the diagram would go from zero to negative something, and I am not ready to modify my ears just yet.

I've been waiting for someone to connect a Clou red to some Etys and take a picture, at least as a gag.

gerG

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 27
After reading numerous people saying the microphonics problem was actually less in the ER-4P, I found that to be wholely untrue. Really, it's about the same and neither are really acceptable.

Jon Risch has recommended that I try the Belden 9221 (what is it with that guy and Belden?) -- anyone have any thoughts?

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 27
I am curious about these problems with microphonics. The P cables "snore" when they rub on things, but don't transmit as much impact noise. The S cables are stiffer and transmit impact, but slide with less noise. They also buzz in the wind (vortex shedding at the right reynolds numbers). I notice these things with the tunes off just due to the low noise floor. I also hear my heart beating and air moving through my sinuses. Most of it goes away with the music on.

What are you guys hearing?

btw, does anybody get that funny eardrum twitch when they stop the music abruptly, as when pushing the pause button? What the hell is that?

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back