A Balanced Qualia Rig (Warning: Lots of Pictures)
Sep 17, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #61 of 77
I really don't understand the whole fun section/reference section business, but otherwise... great setup! I'd love to hear the Qualia's with that adjustable headband.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure many Qualia owners will want the SP headband given that very few owners have experienced the perfect fit.

Well, that's difficult to say. I mean, I would think that most current Qualia owners have their proper size to give them near-optimum results. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't still own the headphones (well maybe, but not likely).

And those who have never heard Qualias would probably not purchase the headphones AND the SP custom headband sight-unseen/heard, hoping it is what they are looking for (again maybe, but not likely).

What this does open up is the market for:
1. current owners who break their stock headband outside of warranty & want something better than Sony's offering (as Icarium has already stated).
2. current owners who just want something different & potentially even better than stock, and have the financial means.
3. non-owners who have heard Qualias, want them, but have not been able to find a pair in their particular size, and have the means to assemble this custom setup.

All-in-all, this is a custom, niche-market product that Mikhail has fulfilled quite nicely, imo. Even if only one was ever produced, it is worth it to the one owner. Awesome craftmanship, I must say. Expensive to be sure, but that's the stratus we are talking about here.

No need to begrudge anyone for providing it, nor purchasing it. It's kinda like the old saying "If you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it anyway."

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony did screw up big in term of design and ergonomics of this headphone.

x2. Not to mention the fact Sony really needs to market a good, musical headphone at the HD6xx, K701 price range. And no, SAx00 series doesn't do it IMO...

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #64 of 77
very nice system....
orphsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't understand the whole fun section/reference section business, but otherwise... great setup! I'd love to hear the Qualia's with that adjustable headband.

Basically the "fun section" is tunable. There is a dial corresponding to power/capacitance/bias/and i think one or two other elements(not implemented... dynamics and crossfeed the amp is technically still imcomplete but I'll probably wait for service/updates before sending it back to Mikhail since I'm not a big crossfeed guy and dynamics he and the previous owner of my amp had not even determined what it might do exactly ;p).

The function also has I think 2x at base the power of the reference section, though I could be wrong its some multiple higher anyway.

The two sections actually accept separate balanced inputs (Reference accepts 1 pair of balanced inputs and the fun section accepts 2).

This essentially is two completely separate amps in shared housings. So I bet you could get 1 or the other of the sections in an amp by itself probably in one chassis for significantly cheaper.

Other features # balanced pre amp outs for both sections. 100 step digital attenuator for the function that can be adjusted with remote etc etc.

It supports 1 balanced headphone output for each function but these are the dual jacks that can also be used as 2x TRS single ended outputs.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Not to mention the fact Sony really needs to market a good, musical headphone at the HD6xx, K701 price range. And no, SAx00 series doesn't do it IMO...

Well, there was the CD3000. I am still trying to acquire one since I am looking to upgrade my closed phones and don't care for Ultrasone Proline. A NOS one just went for $700 on ebay though, they're fast escaping my wallet comfort zone
frown.gif

People who think that the $1K headband is excessive really need some perspective. People who make a living selling ultra-niche items almost by definition need insane markup or they can't put food on the table.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #67 of 77
Dan ... I'm a little late to this party, but, damn, that's one nice system you've put together there. Congrats on selecting and acquiring a very well matched system that must sound spectacular.

Let me know when you ship it out for the Oct Florida meet, and I will take good care of it while it's here.
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the great pics, too, and enjoy.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #68 of 77
Ahaha, I'd love to bring it to can jam 08 but... I fear the postal services after what happened to Jp's amp. And it'd be too many boxes to really bring on the plane ;p

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #69 of 77
Wow, you are among the elite. I can't imagine how good that thing must sound.
blink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #70 of 77
Dang!!! That's a totally new level. No...new dimension in Head-Fi system. Drool magnet for sure
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People who think that the $1K headband is excessive really need some perspective. People who make a living selling ultra-niche items almost by definition need insane markup or they can't put food on the table.

True.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #74 of 77
One possible breakdown of custom made headband:

Labour (build): $30 per hour x 40 hours = $1200
Parts = $100
Retail Fudge (and perhaps design overhead) = $200

TOTAL = $1500
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm probably in the minority on this board as I prefer headphones to be unmodded unless its something subtle, can be removed and performed on cheaper/mass production phones but when its with such expensive and rare headphones - especially the 010 - I balk at such a thought. And afaik, the headband is fixed to the driver housings so this mod is irreversible.

I don't mean to derail this thread in anyway.

I do see the point of the mod however, the Qualia having a reputation for requiring a perfect fit to attain the 'perfect' sound.

This band is a direct replacement. It can be swapped back to the original simply by removing and replacing the two screws in the band. No modifications are done to any of the OEM parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the owner of SinglePower and the OP,
Yeah, wow. That's a very nice rig you got there. I agree with 003, $1500 for a headband is, as Sony would say, "Madness!!!" I understand charging a lot for a good amp or a good source, but a headband? That's when you know that some people in the audiophile industry take advantage of the people they know have money. And charging $1,500 for a laser logo etched headband is a rip off. I work in the printing, graphics, and promotional industries so I know how these things are laser etched and surely that doesn't warrant the price tag. Unless it's the world's rarest leather, it surely shouldn't be that expensive. My guess is that the headband cost about $300 - $400. All topgrade components were used, no doubt. But the markup of $400 to $1500 is where I feel there is a problem. But hey, if you want to enable these high priced vendors like that, it just makes it worse for all of us. I commend him for making a headband to work with the Qualias. People obviously need a better headband than the non-fitting one Sony gives you. But just because you are the only person making a working headband, doesn't mean you should take advantage of the people buying one. And if you tell me that you spent almost as much as you are selling the whole unit for, I will humbly apologize. But I don't think that's the case. I'm sure you give good service as well, which all needs to be taken into account. And I'm glad you like your new headbands. For $1,500, they better get your dinner prepared for you, too.

I'd love to audition that system. It loos very very nice, Congrats on everything!

This band was made specifically for one customer who had the Qualias, but not the right size. Because of the limited amount of smalls that come up for sale, he desired a custom band to be made specifically FOR HIM.

The headband is completely hand made. It took many hours and tests to design a band that fits all sizes. The tension bands are hand formed. Then after the CNC work is complete, each piece is polished by hand. Yes it is an expensive piece, but again it was a custom order.

Single Power Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back