A/B testing
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Killcomic

100+ Head-Fier
After years of going back and forth with audio gear and encoding, I'm finally sick of it all.
I'm going to get myself an A/B test rig and kiss bias goodbye!

I saw some cheap ones on Ebay for $20-$30.
I want to streamline my equipment and prove myself that I can't hear the difference between sources and formats. And if I can, at least I'll know for sure.

I'm looking forward to freedom from all the pseudo-mystical nonsense surrounding the audio world.

Other than doing it blindly and volume matching, any tips you guys can give me on doing this?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Thumbs up from me.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 8
After years of going back and forth with audio gear and encoding, I'm finally sick of it all.
I'm going to get myself an A/B test rig and kiss bias goodbye!

I saw some cheap ones on Ebay for $20-$30.
I want to streamline my equipment and prove myself that I can't hear the difference between sources and formats. And if I can, at least I'll know for sure.

I'm looking forward to freedom from all the pseudo-mystical nonsense surrounding the audio world.

Other than doing it blindly and volume matching, any tips you guys can give me on doing this?
For some tests you'll need someone else. Be VERY careful when picking that someone, and when deciding how long your testing sessions will be. Achieving high statistical significance isn't always worth getting a mini jack plug stabbed 27 times into your back.
One solid option is to offer some form of payment(a few beers, some romantic weekend, etc). It's a psychological trick attempting to have that person's hatred pointed toward him/her-self for accepting that form of contract, instead of all the hatred being focused on you while the blind test is in progress.

It's all in my book, "99 ways to survive a blind test".

Personally, purchasing a switch was the gateway into harder drugs such as DIY adapters/cables... audio measurements, pointless Arduino stuff, and believing I had turned myself into one of those adult males who can build and repair stuff. Spending 50$ and 2 days of work to make something I could get online for 15$. And now I'm really into 3D printing... oh and I think at one point I became modo here. It's all connected
71382958.jpg

Once you start checking online for mats and wondering if you first need a soldering mat or a cutting mat, it's too late for rehab.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Going to save yourself some money 🤣
Hell yeah!
For some tests you'll need someone else. Be VERY careful when picking that someone, and when deciding how long your testing sessions will be. Achieving high statistical significance isn't always worth getting a mini jack plug stabbed 27 times into your back.
One solid option is to offer some form of payment(a few beers, some romantic weekend, etc). It's a psychological trick attempting to have that person's hatred pointed toward him/her-self for accepting that form of contract, instead of all the hatred being focused on you while the blind test is in progress.

It's all in my book, "99 ways to survive a blind test".

Personally, purchasing a switch was the gateway into harder drugs such as DIY adapters/cables... audio measurements, pointless Arduino stuff, and believing I had turned myself into one of those adult males who can build and repair stuff. Spending 50$ and 2 days of work to make something I could get online for 15$. And now I'm really into 3D printing... oh and I think at one point I became modo here. It's all connected
71382958.jpg

Once you start checking online for mats and wondering if you first need a soldering mat or a cutting mat, it's too late for rehab.
Ha ha! I'm worried about that too!
I'm working out the methodology and I hope to be able to do it myself without compromising the objectivity of the test>
And yes, I might go into the do-it-yourself rabbit hole, because rabbit holes is what I do! XD

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 8
It's not just about a positive or negative outcome. It's also about judging relative importance. If there is a slight difference, does it sound better to you, or just slightly different? Is the slight difference worth the price it costs to achieve it (either in usability or money). Your tests are to help you make informed decisions. The context should always be focused on how you can make your sound system sound better in an effective, efficient way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back