A ? about Etymotic ER-4p to 4s DIY adapter
Apr 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

precsmo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm sorry if this topic already been posted over and over again, I tried to search around, but too many posts, just too many to look for.
confused.gif
confused.gif

This is about the Etymotic ER-4p to 4s adapter. It is just not fair and too expensive for such a simple thing selling at USD$55 from the company!! So, I decided to build one my own. I have a simple question about the resistor and really hope someone is helpful enough to answer the following questions:

1. I've look around in the web, some said to get 72ohm resistor, some said 73ohm, and some said to be exact, should be 75ohm, so, is there a huge impact with these small amount of differences?

2. Also, it is more expensive for me to match the resistors than buying more expensive high precision resistors. Well, is +/- 1% precision is enough? The reason I'm asking this as I found 72.5ohm and 73.5ohm have +/- 0.1%, and it is the same price as the only available 75ohm with +/- 1%, they cost the same, and since I only need 2, they are not expensive at all.

I really hope someone can help here, and can't wait to test out my coming Ety motic ER-4p from Ebay. A thousand THANKS in advanced.

I really don't know much technically about DIY these things. But I wish to have the best and cheapest way out of my audio.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 3
If you want to make the p->s adapter for ER4p, just go with 75ohm.
I don't think one can hear the difference between 72,73 or 75ohm.

Just solder the resistors in series with the signals, the ground is untouched.

p.s If you've got your ER4p from eBay, why not take a look for the 75ohm adapter that's also sold there?
Something like this:
DSC_1446.jpg

It cost exactly half of the cable from Ety
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Like Lil' Knight said, you probably can't hear any difference b/w those three. I would just the highest precision rating I can get out of all three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back