IMG_5125.jpeg
IMG_5123.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    768.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #3,363 of 3,539
Fits easily like the Ascension. No need for a deep insertion.

Left to Right
Prestige LTD, Neon Pro, Ascension, Aehta
IMG_6660.jpeg
IMG_6664.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #3,364 of 3,539
Dear Diary,

Today I spent a few hours with Aehta on the Fiio K9 Pro ESS. All the switches were on.

The note weight is not as heavy as the Xduoo setup. Less warm and rich, more balanced. The stage is bigger. Quite a bit bigger. Some electronic music have a holographic effect, but not as much as the Ascension. Vocals sound close, but instruments are wider apart.

For some IEMs, you analyse the music. The Aehta, you're in the music. It's a very musical set. Things like bass guitars, acoustic guitars, snares, and electronic basslines have a very nice texture. Together with the separation. There is a sense of strong technicals while being musical. In other words. It's fun to listen to with good resolution, not so much it becomes fatiguing.

1.5k question. Does it beat the Sony Z1R? The Z1R has a larger staging. The treble extends higher. All at the cost of a slightly recessed mids. Both kick on the low end. The Aehta with the mids off is still not recessed like the Z1R. This is a matter of choice. The Aehta will be a much better value. For a kilobuck, you get switches that work. The bass is about on par. The sound changes, for those advanced hobbyists with a whole bunch of sources. It's like buying one, but having a whole bunch of IEMs.

I won't be able to do any more listening until CanJam this weekend. My wife thinks I am angry after not speaking to her for 2 days. I blame Nicholas for putting my marriage in jeopardy. Let this be a warning to you. Like any new IEM from Aur. You won't be able to put it down.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #3,365 of 3,539
. My wife thinks I am angry after not speaking to her for 2 days. I blame Nicholas for putting my marriage in jeopardy. Let this be a warning to you. Like any new IEM from Aur. You won't be able to put it down.
I've noticed. I don't typically head-fi at home and after I bought Ascension, my girlfriend thinks there's something wrong.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #3,366 of 3,539
I've noticed. I don't typically head-fi at home and after I bought Ascension, my girlfriend thinks there's something wrong.
Many think just their wallets are affected. I might have to go find a new wife that wants to talk less. Either that or give up the IEMs.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #3,369 of 3,539
Not long ago I blind bought a set of Campfire Solaris Mercury (2020) at half price which was still 20% more than the Ascension. I figured at their normal absurd recommended retail price they must sound at least very decent and the reviews are general glowing. I have huge buyers remorse over the Solaris but are hugely impressed with the Ascension. I don't know why I would ever pull the Solaris out instead of the Ascension or Neon Pro.
You comment here deserves to be highlighted. It is almost axiomatic in sales/marketing that people generally attribute quality to products based upon list price. The assumption, as with you, is that the higher price, even if not 100% true, means high quality... after all, if people pay it, that is validation.

I have also thought this most of my life. However, the past 20 years has really shown us that this isn't true, even half the time. The good thing about internet forums like this is that the myth of price is debunked. Actual listener experience defines quality, not price tag.

Sellers set whatever price they want to (often depending upon the buyers' assumptions listed above), and buyers either do or do not think that equates to quality. Unfortunately, sellers are often right. The solution is to read and view reviews from reviewers whose taste, based upon past experience, is similar to yours.

Never, ever buy blindly, or with only one or two reviews. Have patience, wait for multiple reviews.

PS. if an IEM is in your drawer, and you regret purchasing it, then just sell it on. Even if you bought for $800 at half "regular" price, and you can only get $400 on the open market, take the $400 and put the bad experience behind you. It certainly isn't worth $400 to you at this point. Somebody's ear, somewhere, is made for that IEM, just not yours.

Incidentally, the price/quality ratio in IEMs has dropped to 50% of what it was two years ago. Pick a price point... $50, $100, $200, $400... what you could get for those prices two years ago you can get today, with more options, for half.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #3,370 of 3,539
Some size comparisons
Aurora left Aehta right
IMG_5126.jpeg
IMG_5127.jpegIMG_5125.jpegIMG_5123.jpeg

Fits easily like the Ascension. No need for a deep insertion.

Left to Right
Prestige LTD, Neon Pro, Ascension, Aehta
IMG_6660.jpegIMG_6664.jpeg
What gents! Thanks to both for these pics. Aurora fits me very well but it is on the verge of not snuggly fitting my concha. Aehta is even thicker in that part and undeniably requires good fit inside concha for BCDs to work as intended.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #3,371 of 3,539
You comment here deserves to be highlighted. It is almost axiomatic in sales/marketing that people generally attribute quality to products based upon list price. The assumption, as with you, is that the higher price, even if not 100% true, means high quality... after all, if people pay it, that is validation.

I have also thought this most of my life. However, the past 20 years has really shown us that this isn't true, even half the time. The good thing about internet forums like this is that the myth of price is debunked. Actual listener experience defines quality, not price tag.

Sellers set whatever price they want to (often depending upon the buyers' assumptions listed above), and buyers either do or do not think that equates to quality. Unfortunately, sellers are often right. The solution is to read and view reviews from reviewers whose taste, based upon past experience, is similar to yours.

Never, ever buy blindly, or with only one or two reviews. Have patience, wait for multiple reviews.

PS. if an IEM is in your drawer, and you regret purchasing it, then just sell it on. Even if you bought for $800 at half "regular" price, and you can only get $400 on the open market, take the $400 and put the bad experience behind you. It certainly isn't worth $400 to you at this point. Somebody's ear, somewhere, is made for that IEM, just not yours.

Incidentally, the price/quality ratio in IEMs has dropped to 50% of what it was two years ago. Pick a price point... $50, $100, $200, $400... what you could get for those prices two years ago you can get today, with more options, for half.

Thanks for the feedback.

I absolutely agree with you.

In my case with the Solaris I read and watched numerous videos, read owners comments here and actually asked specific questions about comparisons with other IEM. I didn't base my assessment/assumption they would be good on price alone, that was as much a figure of speech as anything. Of course though, as you rightly point out, there was an aspect of "if it cost $1,600 USD it has to be good right" in there but not entirely.

Unluckily for me in my location I can't realistically audition any set that I have an interest in so blind buying based on reviews, user comments etc is pretty much all I can do.

Luckily for me, however, I have come around to quite liking the Solaris. I was struggling with fit issues and therefore comfort issues and therefore not being able to just relax, listen and enjoy them. I have since sorted that out and can now just listen and I am really appreciating them more and more, they really are good.

That said, while my buyers remorse has gone that doesn't alter the comparison between the Solaris and the Ascension. In my assessment of them both they are level pegging with the nod, in my preference, if I could only have one, going to the Ascension. And that there comes back to the price versus quality ratio. The Solaris at full price in Kiwi dollars would have cost me $3,000, I paid $1,500 brand new as a clearance of the last of a limited edition run, I paid $1,186 for the Ascension.

I am happy to own the Solaris, I would rather have paid $1,000 than $1,500 and I am very glad I didn't pay $3,000 full price in local money. The comparison between a $3,000 Solaris and a $1,186 Ascension would even further demonstrate the value in AuR products.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #3,372 of 3,539
Thanks for the feedback.

I absolutely agree with you.

In my case with the Solaris I read and watched numerous videos, read owners comments here and actually asked specific questions about comparisons with other IEM. I didn't base my assessment/assumption they would be good on price alone, that was as much a figure of speech as anything. Of course though, as you rightly point out, there was an aspect of "if it cost $1,600 USD it has to be good right" in there but not entirely.

Unluckily for me in my location I can't realistically audition any set that I have an interest in so blind buying based on reviews, user comments etc is pretty much all I can do.

Luckily for me, however, I have come around to quite liking the Solaris. I was struggling with fit issues and therefore comfort issues and therefore not being able to just relax, listen and enjoy them. I have since sorted that out and can now just listen and I am really appreciating them more and more, they really are good.

That said, while my buyers remorse has gone that doesn't alter the comparison between the Solaris and the Ascension. In my assessment of them both they are level pegging with the nod, in my preference, if I could only have one, going to the Ascension. And that there comes back to the price versus quality ratio. The Solaris at full price in Kiwi dollars would have cost me $3,000, I paid $1,500 brand new as a clearance of the last of a limited edition run, I paid $1,186 for the Ascension.

I am happy to own the Solaris, I would rather have paid $1,000 than $1,500 and I am very glad I didn't pay $3,000 full price in local money. The comparison between a $3,000 Solaris and a $1,186 Ascension would even further demonstrate the value in AuR products.
I have had the Solaris, and it is one of the most boring IEMs I ever had. Good technically, yes, but just boring. The U12t is a bit better, but boring too.
This is a subjective hobby/passion. What is good for one, is bad for another. We must stop searching a relationship between money and enjoyment.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #3,373 of 3,539
I have had the Solaris, and it is one of the most boring IEMs I ever had. Good technically, yes, but just boring. The U12t is a bit better, but boring too.
This is a subjective hobby/passion. What is good for one, is bad for another. We must stop searching a relationship between money and enjoyment.

I don't find it technically proficient but boring, to me the (2020) Solaris is a fun tune. As you said though, it is all highly subjective and also highly variable and relative to other sets that one has and has got accustomed to.

I think it is fine to search for a relationship between money and enjoyment so long as we are aware that more money doesn't always mean more enjoyment but also acknowledge that sometimes it will.

It is very much a first world problem when we are debating value for money between what are essentially all luxury items that cost far far more than most typical folks would consider even remotely sane !! :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #3,374 of 3,539
Two bass head IEMs from the extremely humid and sunny Singapore. Anyone interested in an Aehta vs Titan shootout?
IMG_6675.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #3,375 of 3,539
Two bass head IEMs from the extremely humid and sunny Singapore. Anyone interested in a Aehta vs Titan shootout? IMG_6675.jpeg
Sure! But why did you censor your name? DingDong is nothing to be ashamed of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back