AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #3,061 of 3,539
I can chime in that my sole complaint against the Ascension was also comfort. The nozzle somehow caused pain in my tragus, which I have never experienced with any other IEM. I believe it was due to the odd angle of the nozzle, it would not go properly into my ear canal. I would start noticing it within minutes, and would push through for the sake of the sound. Ultimately I let the set go, but have since forgotten the discomfort, still love the sound and have thought about acquiring a new set 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #3,062 of 3,539
Certainly but it would be appropriate to provide a little more information for context.

Does one have small ear canals so the fit was an issue ?

What size tips does one usually use ?

What other sets are a persons preference for comfort ?

Saying the fit is a terror and the sonic quality is not worth the effort related to fit is a little far reaching as a general statement without a decent amount of detail for context ..... in my opinion but YMMV :relaxed:
thats fair. My point was mainly that while fit is always unique and personal, its pretty well known that people with small ear holes have difficulty getting along with big nozzles and Ascensions nozzles are mighty big lol.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #3,063 of 3,539
I can chime in that my sole complaint against the Ascension was also comfort. The nozzle somehow caused pain in my tragus, which I have never experienced with any other IEM. I believe it was due to the odd angle of the nozzle, it would not go properly into my ear canal. I would start noticing it within minutes, and would push through for the sake of the sound. Ultimately I let the set go, but have since forgotten the discomfort, still love the sound and have thought about acquiring a new set 🤷‍♂️
I did also find the angle a bit weird. It started fitting a bunch better when I would push it in _just_ enough to seal instead of trying to jam it as deep as i could.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #3,064 of 3,539
I would disagree about it being irrational. While the shell is custom like the nozzle _can_ be a major issue. Especially for people who already use MS or smaller tips. For instance you cant even fit a small Dunu S&S on it. The nozzle width is wider than the actual tip and you end up creating essentially a silicon sleeve for the nozzle.

Certainly but it would be appropriate to provide a little more information for context.

Does one have small ear canals so the fit was an issue ?

What size tips does one usually use ?

What other sets are a persons preference for comfort ?

Saying the fit is a terror and the sonic quality is not worth the effort related to fit is a little far reaching as a general statement without a decent amount of detail for context ..... in my opinion but YMMV :relaxed:

My ears can deal with IEM nozzles that are long and narrow or short and wide, but the Ascension nozzles are a bit long and they're pretty wide. The nozzle digs into the side of my right ear canal and gets really sore after an hour of use where I have to stop using them. I think because of their custom-like shape, it's more difficult to adjust the insertion angle to prevent them from digging into my ear canal.

Sure, fitment is very personal, but I agree with what @ssantan2 said about the ear tip being a sleeve for the nozzle is pretty much how it feels in my right ear. I've found that thin flexible ear tips like the Eletech Baroques (M) seem to work better, but I still can't use the Ascension for too long before my right ear starts to get sore. For reference, I usually use medium sized ear tips with most IEMs and size up or down depending on the shape of the nozzle.

Love the sound of the Ascension though. Smooth and relaxing. Good quality bass and treble extension without any sibilance at all. It just sucks because I haven't had this soreness issue with any other IEM I've used. Also, it fits perfectly fine in my left ear with no comfort issues so what the hell. 🤷‍♂️

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #3,066 of 3,539
So I received my Ascension and started listening to it. My first impressions:
  • Build quality: is OK but not the best. I feel that the IEM is very fragile. It is very light (I don't know if this a positive or negative point). I know that I will frustrate some funboys here but I was very scared to break the connector in the IEM when inserting the 2pin of the cable. It feels very very fragile. I guess this is the reason why they explicitly indicated in their website that breaking the connector on the IEM if we frequently change the cable will void the warranty. They know that this is the weakest point of the IEM. For the asking price, I think that they should have a better build quality than much cheaper IEMs. The fact that they offer only 6 months of warranty is also a point of concern for me. Other manufacturers offer 1 year minimum. Overall, we have to be very careful when manipulating the IEM
  • Sound quality: overall, the tone is warm with good level of details and decent soundstage. I noticed that Ascension requires more power than other IEMs that I have:
    • The bass is very tight and focused on sub-bass. This is already a problem for me: because the mid-bass is rolled-off, there is a gap between the sub-bass and the mids. It feels like you have the mids and highs on one side and sub-bass well separated on the other side. This is not how music should sound according to me. The transition from the bass to the mids should be smooth. I also like when mid-bass gives warmth to the mids (vocals in particular), but this is personal preference. We are all different
    • The mids are clearly forward. They are very clear and neutral. However, I noticed that the high mids can be hot in some tracks, in particular female vocals (the SSSS)
    • The highs are excellent and for me the star of the show. They are very clean and detailed without being agressive in any way.
  • Accessories: the included accessories is a joke for this price. They consist of a very small metallic box (mine had a number of dents when received), 4 pairs of tips, a cable and cleaning tool. Although stok cable build quality looks very good, sound performance is average. I immediately replaced it with my favorite cable Penon Asos
Overall, I am puzzled whether Ascension is the right IEM for me. I had very expectations given all positive reviews in this thread. I thought that I would share my observations for new owners so that they know what to expect. Please bear in mind that these are my first impressions. The sound might change after 50 hours of burn-in. However, build quality will not change

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #3,067 of 3,539
Hm, putting Ascension in such a bad light about its fit based on personal experience is a bit irrational. Sure, there are sets where everyone agrees their fit is compromised, ..Khhhm, IER Z1R ..Khmm ... but Ascension is very ergonomic for the majority. Almost a custom-like shell.

Yes, NP is very different to SA6mk2 probably. Could be interesting to own both. Calmer SA6 and a wild but tasteful NP.
I mentioned it because I very rarely have issues with fit. I’ve been fine with large nozzles like Truthear Zero, short nozzles (can’t think of one off the top of my head), or weird shaped nozzles like Fan 2.

Recently, I’ve found sets that are problematic in fit: at CanJam I struggled with FatFreq Hayabusa, even though it sounded really good, and Dunu Glacier. And Aür Ascension. Brother asked for opinions and mine is I wouldn’t pay $700 for good sound when dealing with major fitment issues (for me). Especially if we’re talking about blind buying a $700 iem, he should know it could be an issue.

But you can lend him your Ascension so he can demo it, if my opinion is so offensive to you.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #3,068 of 3,539
Wow this thread is alive.

Build quality: is OK but not the best. I feel that the IEM is very fragile. It is very light (I don't know if this a positive or negative point). I know that I will frustrate some funboys here but I was very scared to break the connector in the IEM when inserting the 2pin of the cable. It feels very very fragile

As a self professed fanboy who owns every Aur iem from 2023, I must say the last thing to nitpick about Aur iems will be the 2 pin socket. I feel it is as secure as it can be and I am a serial cable roller. None of my 2 pin sockets have any issue with careful plugging unplugging. Sound signature and fitment ymmv but never the 2 pin socket.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #3,069 of 3,539
Wow this thread is alive.

As a self professed fanboy who owns every Aur iem from 2023, I must say the last thing to nitpick about Aur iems will be the 2 pin socket. I feel it is as secure as it can be and I am a serial cable roller. None of my 2 pin sockets have any issue with careful plugging unplugging. Sound signature and fitment ymmv but never the 2 pin socket.
I hope you are right. Time will tell

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #3,070 of 3,539
I hope you are right. Time will tell

I don't want to sound overly critical of your original post.

However, sound and accessories aside, as that is massively subjective, it seems a lot like your statement that the build quality is OK but not the best is based entirely on your observation that they are light leading you to infer they are weak and then still further inferring that the warranty is only 6 months because they don't trust them to last more than six months because they are so fragile.

In my opinion that is a massive stretch.

Based on my experience with the Neon Pro for approaching a year and images of all the other models here and the absence of complaints about numerous broken IEM I believe the design and inherent strength is at least typical for resin shell IEM and the quality of assembly, finish and presentation (cheap accessories aside) is actually very good.

My Neon Pro get regular normal use, I look after them and I leave one cable attached, I put them back in a storage box so they are not banging around with other gear but I have never observed any signs of fragility or just OK build quality or felt they were less durable than any other IEM I have owned.

I will chime back in when I get my Ascension in a day or so but I believe it is better to save a complaint about durability until something proves to have issues in that regard rather make comments based on feelings and inferences.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #3,071 of 3,539
So I received my Ascension and started listening to it. My first impressions:
  • Build quality: is OK but not the best. I feel that the IEM is very fragile. It is very light (I don't know if this a positive or negative point). I know that I will frustrate some funboys here but I was very scared to break the connector in the IEM when inserting the 2pin of the cable. It feels very very fragile. I guess this is the reason why they explicitly indicated in their website that breaking the connector on the IEM if we frequently change the cable will void the warranty. They know that this is the weakest point of the IEM. For the asking price, I think that they should have a better build quality than much cheaper IEMs. The fact that they offer only 6 months of warranty is also a point of concern for me. Other manufacturers offer 1 year minimum. Overall, we have to be very careful when manipulating the IEM
  • Sound quality: overall, the tone is warm with good level of details and decent soundstage. I noticed that Ascension requires more power than other IEMs that I have:
    • The bass is very tight and focused on sub-bass. This is already a problem for me: because the mid-bass is rolled-off, there is a gap between the sub-bass and the mids. It feels like you have the mids and highs on one side and sub-bass well separated on the other side. This is not how music should sound according to me. The transition from the bass to the mids should be smooth. I also like when mid-bass gives warmth to the mids (vocals in particular), but this is personal preference. We are all different
    • The mids are clearly forward. They are very clear and neutral. However, I noticed that the high mids can be hot in some tracks, in particular female vocals (the SSSS)
    • The highs are excellent and for me the star of the show. They are very clean and detailed without being agressive in any way.
  • Accessories: the included accessories is a joke for this price. They consist of a very small metallic box (mine had a number of dents when received), 4 pairs of tips, a cable and cleaning tool. Although stok cable build quality looks very good, sound performance is average. I immediately replaced it with my favorite cable Penon Asos
Overall, I am puzzled whether Ascension is the right IEM for me. I had very expectations given all positive reviews in this thread. I thought that I would share my observations for new owners so that they know what to expect. Please bear in mind that these are my first impressions. The sound might change after 50 hours of burn-in. However, build quality will not change

The plain packaging is actually a feature for those in countries with draconian customs practices. They get through quickly.

Not sure what you want on build quality. It appears to be built to the industry standard and is not noteworthy.

I can't really argue with your assessment of the sound. The tuning is a lie, though (to me) a beautiful one. I also prefer more midbass, but as a compromise, I appreciate the presentation here. I love to play with eq. The karmic effect on the overall presentation is often revelatory, and makes me appreciate why the designer chose a particular set of tradeoffs.

Ascension has no sibilance issues in my ears. I listen to a lot of badly recorded music and this tuning is fantastic for me. Everything sounds good as I routinely leap across genres and recording quality.

Two pin connectors are s#!t. This is a real problem for me, as every pair I own is eventually compromised, and I don't cable roll. My drawer is a graveyard. Not sure what is to be done about this.

I get great fit. There is a bit of driver flex upon insertion but once seated they fit in my (admittedly giant) ear holes like they were made for me.

The stock cable is as it should be for a $700 IEM of this quality.

A reality check. I haven't found a $700 IEM at e earphones that sounds this good.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #3,073 of 3,539
I don't want to sound overly critical of your original post.

However, sound and accessories aside, as that is massively subjective, it seems a lot like your statement that the build quality is OK but not the best is based entirely on your observation that they are light leading you to infer they are weak and then still further inferring that the warranty is only 6 months because they don't trust them to last more than six months because they are so fragile.

In my opinion that is a massive stretch.

Based on my experience with the Neon Pro for approaching a year and images of all the other models here and the absence of complaints about numerous broken IEM I believe the design and inherent strength is at least typical for resin shell IEM and the quality of assembly, finish and presentation (cheap accessories aside) is actually very good.

My Neon Pro get regular normal use, I look after them and I leave one cable attached, I put them back in a storage box so they are not banging around with other gear but I have never observed any signs of fragility or just OK build quality or felt they were less durable than any other IEM I have owned.

I will chime back in when I get my Ascension in a day or so but I believe it is better to save a complaint about durability until something proves to have issues in that regard rather make comments based on feelings and inferences.
First of all, according to me, a very light IEM is a sign that the shell is made of thin resin. Just to give you some context, most of the IEMs I have had in the past are made by IMR. A couple of years ago, we could buy IMR iems at 250-300$ that are made like a tank. They smell quality. I'm sorry but I don't see this with Ascension when I hold it in my hand. They don't have the quality of a 700$ IEM
Regarding warranty, if you believe Aur is confident that their IEM will last more than 6 months, then why they offer only 6 months warranty. I am confident that my Ascension will last more than 6 months, but I don't understand why we get only 6 months warranty on a 700$ IEM

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #3,074 of 3,539
I have pretty small ears. S on the left, M on the right. The Monarch II was terrible, even the Prestige LTD has issues if not plugged in perfectly. The first thing I noticed about the ascension, there is no need for a deep fit, the whole twist forward and back thingy. Just place it in the ear and gently press a little. The tips seal is all that is needed. Doing a deep seat does not improve the sonic experience. Did the same with the Neon Pro. However, the Neon Pro seems to be larger and a bit more fiddly. Also the stock tips work great. If you use longer stems and smaller bore. I doubt they will have a positive effect on the sound.

Roll call on the Ascension for driver flex. Nothing on mine.

Regarding build. Resin based 2 pins are roughly like that. I have all 3 types of connectors and none of them are particularly good. I have a bunch at hand to check against.

IMG_6061.jpeg

Resin based they're light and age better. I always check the faceplate and body seal. Well made IEMS have a seal that is hardly visible and it's smooth. Badly made ones are uneven physically or visually, sometimes both. The cheapest will be the faceplate fall off when you pull it out of your ear. I had a Moondrop variations piece of turd do that. On top of sounding like a cat with throat cancer, it was made as cheap as possible. Weight has got nothing to do with the build quality.

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

The metal ones are heavy and sometimes will shift when walking or moving around doing stuff. You will knock them when handling it, the finishing will scratch, and the edges ding. You can see that on many used Campfire IEMs. They do feel solid.

In the grand scheme of things. IMHO. The Ascension is very well made at this price point. You can search for FatFreq IEMS and see what I mean about the workmanship on the faceplate/body seal. The Ascension is cleaner and more invisible than the Prestige LTD which costs twice as much.

Warranty. I also noticed before I ordered and asked Nicholas about the 6 months warranty in person. His answer I did not expect. It's to keep costs down as low as possible. Rather than cut corners on the build, QC, or sound. They took out some of the warranty. Same reason why they skipped the fancy packaging. Locally, we receive the sets in the plastic round case and ziplock bag. Take out the stuff that costs money and people don't need, keep it as low cost as possible for you.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #3,075 of 3,539
First of all, according to me, a very light IEM is a sign that the shell is made of thin resin. Just to give you some context, most of the IEMs I have had in the past are made by IMR. A couple of years ago, we could buy IMR iems at 250-300$ that are made like a tank. They smell quality. I'm sorry but I don't see this with Ascension when I hold it in my hand. They don't have the quality of a 700$ IEM
Regarding warranty, if you believe Aur is confident that their IEM will last more than 6 months, then why they offer only 6 months warranty. I am confident that my Ascension will last more than 6 months, but I don't understand why we get only 6 months warranty on a 700$ IEM

You are obviously entitled to your opinion and I respect that even if I don’t actually understand your position.

Light construction doesn’t mean fragile if the materials are inherently light but strong as is the case with epoxy resin, that is fundamental to its properties and intended use cases.

I am sorry, and I genuinely don’t mean to be condescending but I do want to be honest, “according to you” isn’t much to go on when your opinion is based on them being light and made of resin and that is it.

I have several other sets of IEM, of resin and metal construction, and of similar and higher price points, and the Neon Pro easily hold their own in terms built quality and finish, general quality feel and a sense of owning a quality product.

I reserve judgement in case by some strange chance the standards have slipped badly in the intervening year but my Neon Pro give me no sense of any kind of build quality concern whatsoever.

Just because a metal body set is heavier and seems therefore to be stronger and better built doesn’t make it so.

This might sound ridiculous but it is 100 % true. I had several sets of IEM of metal and resin construction, and some sets in the Ascension price range. These were sets that I didn’t like, didn’t want to listen to and couldn’t sell so I literally pulled them apart to try and learn more about the way IEM are built. Sounds ridiculous but I just didn’t want these sets and literally would never use them.

You might be surprised how easily the glued together halves of a metal IEM come apart, how easily the seperate metal nozzle pulls out of the metal body and how tough a hollow resin shell actually is.

Anyway, as you said time will tell, but thus far I have not read a single comment about an AuR Audio IEM that has fallen apart. We all know what an internet forum is like, bad news travels very fast indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back