AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Nov 27, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,416 of 3,539
Each one listens very differently to the others.
I have read some reviews in which it is stated that the U4S has more treble than the Monarch, and personally I hear the opposite (and by a lot of difference).

So it is clear that we will have to wait to hear it personally, and thus create our own opinion.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #2,417 of 3,539
I don't know...NP with switch on is close to basshead if possible from BAs.

Definitely enough bass for me as I still use it with the bass switch in off position (but with foamies).

It is hard to define a bassheads bass anyways. Imo the important differences or points which decide whether I like an IEMs bass or not are a) the amount of mid-bass and b) the grade of sub-bass rumble.

I would call myself a basshead because I am a sucker for sub-bass. Threfore I adore the IE900 eg.

But I have learned that a Singularity eg (who many like for its bass quality) offers to much bass for me because it has lots of mid-bass. This characteristic occured as a bass bleeding to me at first, until I realized that it actually depends on the genres / recordings I listen to in the end: I could not listen to bass heavy Hip-Hop etc. with my Singularity for too long, but for Rock or Classical it's mid-bass boost is quite often perceived as a gift sent from heaven.

My IE900 on the other hand is great for bass heavy stuff as it has enormous sub-bass rumble but a lot less mid-bass boost, which makes it a much more relaxed (and also correct) listen.

The NP is also great for all kind of genres as it has sub-bass rumble as well as the right amount of mid-bass for me.

Ymmv etc. pp

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #2,418 of 3,539
Can you tell which source you tested the Ascension with? I remember having itsfit fusion which is an excellent iem and with some sources it had a weak bass, with higher power sources it really sings, the truth is that I did not expect a soft bass on Ascension :)
Powered through Sony ZX300 4.4mm output on high gain. From experience it is adequate enough of a source, able to achieve louder than my regular listening levels at 45/120 steps of volume. My usual source at the desk will be the JDS Labs E3 Mkii 4.4mm version so that'll be fun to play around with.

Can't provide more details on the bass because every other aspect took my breath away I wasn't even that focused on it. All I can say is that sheer bass slam is not the priority with Ascension, more of extracting fine nuances and adding weight to fundamental harmonics.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #2,419 of 3,539
The more opinions I read the more I want the NP.

As well as Ascension, since it seems they will still be quite different despite similarities in graphs.

Oh AüR, why do you make every set so good and so different! That isn't nice to our wallets.. 🥲

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,423 of 3,539
Should I have mentioned I'm talking about all brands worldwide? At least I'm trusting AüR.
I guess you should have, because it read as if you had reason to believe that AüR would not use drivers as advertised. Something I think no one should have reason to fear as at least I have not heard anything that would suggest so.... On the contrary AüR - all the disputes about vociferous marketing aside - has always been very serious about their products so far.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,425 of 3,539
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #2,426 of 3,539
oh okay cool, sorry I thought there was some info about AuR possibly doing some shenanigans with advertised drivers
I haven't heard anything like that anywhere. The only recent drama is around Symphonium Crimson. Manufacturer did not disclose the driver configuration (4BA) for the first round of preorders, motivating it by 'you should judge it by the sound'. Even right now on the product's page it doesn't state that it is a 4BA

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2,427 of 3,539
Aur is even stating when they are using "cheap" non-namebrand drivers, that some other brands would just avoid mentioning(like the E-Audio drivers in Aurora). For some people those drivers might give them a reason to prejudge the SQ. So I appreciate that, especially considering I know nothing about IEM engineering. :ksc75smile: Use potatoes if they sound good, that's what I always say. Well, I guess this is actually my first time saying that.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #2,428 of 3,539
All this talk about bass ... the bass on the Aür lineups seems pretty anemic compared to what is out there for the price range. If I am chasing bass, I won't be looking at Aür.

For reference, I own the Sennheiser IE900, Fatfreq Maestro and Scarlet Mini, and have auditioned the Fir Xenon 6; hopefully Empire Ears someday.

I listen mostly to the Sennheiser IE900; the sound is balanced with good details retrievals and just enough sub/midbass to keep things interesting, all out of a single dynamic driver. The bass doesn't overwhelm the other frequencies, but its there when you carefully listen for it. The Fatfreq Maestro Mini and Scarlet Mini out of the Cayin N7 are my go-to when I just want to sit and giggle to myself, a bedside setup. The Fir Audio Xenon 6 is in my wishlist; a heavily-colored IEMs, an acquired taste. Heck, even the 64 Audio Tia Fourte with Effect Audio CODE 23 tames the treble and punches pretty hard.

Having said that, I am in the market for the Aur Aurora myself. Introduced for its "organic, sweet midrange", I already have the Cayin RU-6 and Eletech Raphael to go with it.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #2,429 of 3,539
Sennheiser IE900, Fatfreq Maestro and Scarlet Mini
I almost stopped reading after looking at this list.
To elaborate, NP which seems to have the most elevated bass out of the lineup (with the switch on) still does not 'skew' the tonality too much towards bass. Those 3 are just full on basshead iems.

But overall I agree, for NP the best selling point is not the bass, but combination of high-end resolution and no hint of sibilance.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #2,430 of 3,539
If I am chasing bass, I won't be looking at Aür.

I listen mostly to the Sennheiser IE900

I have just bought the IE600 and have the Neon Pro, overall I am entirely happy with the Neon Pro bass with the switch off, with it on the bass quantity is more than I want and more than the IE600 I think, I haven't done a back and forth comparison.

I haven't heard the IE900 to compare.

Overall the Neon Pro is simply better balanced than the IE600. The IE600 has elevated highs that give a sense of sparkle, cleanliness and spaciousness. That is all well and good but the trade off is that they become sibilant on certain problematic vocals. The Neon Pro is detailed in the highs but not as elevated so manages to stay just south of sibilant on the same problematic vocals.

I know the 600 isn't a 900 but from what I understand the 900 is tuned to sound technically impressive rather than truly being a balanced sound signature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back