AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #571 of 3,539
Good question, only now the use from German myself where its pronounced as Y.

Ü (lowercase ü) is a Latin script character composed of the letter U and the diaeresis diacritical mark. In some alphabets such as those of a number of Romance languages or Guarani it denotes an instance of regular U to be construed in isolation from adjacent characters with which it would usually form a larger unit; other alphabets like the Azerbaijani, Estonian, German, Hungarian and Turkish ones treat it as a letter in its own right. In those cases it typically represents a close front rounded vowel [y] (listen).

Although not a part of their alphabet, Ü also appears in languages such as Finnish and Swedish when retained in foreign proper names like München ("Munich"). A small number of Dutch and Afrikaans words employ the character to mark vowel hiatus (e.g. reünie /reːyˈni/ ("reunion"), a loanword marked with diaeresis to suppress the native reading of eu as a digraph pronounced /øː/).
I knew there were different ways to use it, and wasn't sure if it was typical of what I learned in German class WAAAY back in my school days; which would most often be more akin to a double oo sound in English (i.e. goose, loose, doozy, etc..). Or if it was like "Munich", which is more like "use", where the umlaughted U sounded like a yu. Or simply like your addition of the definition (and the "listen" link), like in English when you say "ooooh that is gross". LOL

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #572 of 3,539
OK! Gotcha'... A bit more intimate.. I can dig that. That ususally does indeed indicate a fantastic imaging and layering (when good transducers are involved) IMO. Would you say that the dynamics are akin to something like Focal phones (known to be some of the best at that)? And the bass sounds like I will love it. I want it when I want it, but I don't want something so overly tuned in the mid-bass that stuff that is NOT supposed to sound bassy does. But, like you said, I DO want some punch too. I don't want it to have rumble but no visceral depth to it.... Do you find the texture to be good on these, or would you consider one of the other models to be better at that, where bass is concerned?

I don't think I will have an issue driving them to volume (or underdamping them either), for all except the tube amp card. I will have to look at the numbers again to know for sure. But it is only capable of 400mW from the highest powered output and has a bit of a hard time driving SOME gear I have. I'll let you know about that one... :)

Yep, more intimate staging but tuning is very clean from top to bottom which helps keep things dimensional. The bass has plenty of texture. It doesn't smack you around the chops with impact and I put that down to the size of it, but importantly it's quick, resolving and has what I hear to be a natural tail to its decay.

400mW should be perfectly fine :)

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #573 of 3,539
Yep, more intimate staging but tuning is very clean from top to bottom which helps keep things dimensional. The bass has plenty of texture. It doesn't smack you around the chops with impact and I put that down to the size of it, but importantly it's quick, resolving and has what I hear to be a natural tail to its decay.

400mW should be perfectly fine :)
Fantastic!

I read all the pages on this thread, but don't remember now; do you have all three sets of the Aur brand?

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #575 of 3,539
I knew there were different ways to use it, and wasn't sure if it was typical of what I learned in German class WAAAY back in my school days; which would most often be more akin to a double oo sound in English (i.e. goose, loose, doozy, etc..). Or if it was like "Munich", which is more like "use", where the umlaughted U sounded like a yu. Or simply like your addition of the definition (and the "listen" link), like in English when you say "ooooh that is gross". LOL
Being German I might help out in this delicate matter :)

The German Umlaut ü sounds like the y in the Swedish Ystad for example or that joghurt like milk product called 'Skyr'. It is a combination of the vowels u and e.

AüR would therefore sound unfamiliar pronounced the German way.... Maybe the ü is meant to be pronounced like in Hüsker Dü :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #576 of 3,539
Fantastic!

I read all the pages on this thread, but don't remember now; do you have all three sets of the Aur brand?

*size of the DD (not the size of the bass tuning)

I have the Aure and the Alita, with a Neon Pro on loan with me at the moment.

@TRHH the Alita is 1393SGD

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #579 of 3,539
Patiently awaiting my (now collector's edition) Aure here also.
Have I not encountered your name in the DX320 thread - welcome to the waiting room (for one of the last Aures)...

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #581 of 3,539
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #582 of 3,539
Thanks very much! :)

This is one of the reasons they intrigued me so very much. I would not be as excited if they were just simply DIY IEMs, but these REALLY are hand crafted and tuned from start to finish. I will cherish these, and will feel empowered years down the road when Aur Audio is a huge name in the industry, that I got in when they were just starting out (ish)... LOL

That is very true, and I didn't even consider that about the shells being resin cast... That just puts icing on the cake IMO.

One question (for anyone that knows): I notice an umlaught over the U (which my keyboard doesn't do unless I change the layout :)). Does this mean that the pronunciation is like our audio, or is it are audio?

As I understand it, Abel and Nicholas chose the name Aür on the basis of the Greek word. It appears the Greek used the word to denote coins.

The Romans used the word, Aür, to mean gold, aurum and aura, plural. It is said to be derived from the Greek word to denote coin or coins. Given coins were a representation of the value of the relevant metal plus the amount of it (purity plus size of the coin) it is logical for the Greek term to be adopted by the Romans.

However, various other references are made to Aür being the root of the word "aural", a reference to ears. I guess the meaning Abel and Nicholas would attribute to their audio products is the reference to ears but it is a guess for now, until I hear from Nicholas.

On the spelling of "Aür" with the umlaught, I simply used the spelling Abel and Nicholas had on their original website (as was before the revamp).

As to pronunciation, like you, I go for "ore", as in audio and I associate it to ears. Others may have a different pronunciation. Interestingly enough, ore means natural source of metal, as in iron ore, thus links us back to gold.

Until I hear from Nicholas that is my take on it.

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #583 of 3,539
As I understand it, Abel and Nicholas chose the name Aür on the basis of the Greek word. It appears the Greek used the word to denote coins.

The Romans used the word, Aür, to mean gold, aurum and aura, plural. It is said to be derived from the Greek word to denote coin or coins. Given coins were a representation of the value of the relevant metal plus the amount of it (purity plus size of the coin) it is logical for the Greek term to be adopted by the Romans.

However, various other references are made to Aür being the root of the word "aural", a reference to ears. I guess the meaning Abel and Nicholas would attribute to their audio products is the reference to ears but it is a guess for now, until I hear from Nicholas.

On the spelling of "Aür" with the umlaught, I simply used the spelling Abel and Nicholas had on their original website (as was before the revamp).

As to pronunciation, like you, I go for "ore", as in audio and I associate it to ears. Others may have a different pronunciation. Interestingly enough, ore means natural source of metal, as in iron ore, thus links us back to gold.

I feel like I've just had a etymology and a history lesson combined. Thank you Chris. I've been pronouncing it as Ayur. I never paid attention in German lessons, so I'm most definitely butchering it there.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #584 of 3,539
I feel like I've just had a etymology and a history lesson combined. Thank you Chris. I've been pronouncing it as Ayur. I never paid attention in German lessons, so I'm most definitely butchering it there.
Hardly, Ian. I bet you have a lot to teach me. In any case, my pronunciation might be wrong.

Don't tell anyone, my German is dreadful.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #585 of 3,539

Regarding the Aür Aure, the "Aure" component may conjure up "aura" as in atmosphere or emanation associated with a person or object. Additionally, per Greek Baby Names the meaning of the name Aure is "soft breeze". Putting it all together, the new baby I am waiting for is a golden-eared soft breeze ready to atmospherically emanate for the music lover's benefit, all for a reasonable amount of "coin". 🪙:arrow_right:🎶

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back