$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #5,209 of 6,550
Is the only way to create playlists through the player itself?  Can you import playlists from your computer?

Also has anyone actually use the X-Battery attachment from Jaben?  Is it worth it or should I just get an external charger?

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #5,210 of 6,550
  Is the only way to create playlists through the player itself?  Can you import playlists from your computer?

Also has anyone actually use the X-Battery attachment from Jaben?  Is it worth it or should I just get an external charger?

There is a Jukebox option that allows you to select from albums, artist or tracks. Once created, you have options for P list, Organize and Edit. It's all very straight forward and intuitive. I don't know if you can import playlists or not. I know of the X-Battery but not from personal use. The only problems, IMO, are that it will probably void your warranty and the M is rather large from the start, so the X-Battery would double it's depth, compared to an external pack that you would plug into when needed.  

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #5,211 of 6,550

There is a Jukebox option that allows you to select from albums, artist or tracks. Once created, you have options for P list, Organize and Edit. It's all very straight forward and intuitive. I don't know if you can import playlists or not. I know of the X-Battery but not from personal use. The only problems, IMO, are that it will probably void your warranty and the M is rather large from the start, so the X-Battery would double it's depth, compared to an external pack that you would plug into when needed.  

You're right.  It would be better to keep the M in a case and charge it when I need then doubling its size almost permanently.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,212 of 6,550
I've purchased the X Batt online from JABEN SINGAPORE...it's now "listed" on their online store...I used paypal for payment.
Here's the direct link...http://store.jaben.com/products/x-batt
Free international shipping.4 days to los angeles.They are also having a sale on Calyx M for USD $701.33.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #5,213 of 6,550
  I've purchased the X Batt online from JABEN SINGAPORE...it's now "listed" on their online store...I used paypal for payment.
Here's the direct link...http://store.jaben.com/products/x-batt
Free international shipping.4 days to los angeles.Their also having a sale on Calyx M for USD $701.33.

Congrats! I'm rather late to the party, having just grabbed myself an M just over a month ago.

Having tried many DAPs (like the AK120ii, P1, L5Pro, QP1R), I'd glad to report that M very much holds its own: it has a timbre and musicality like no other, staging & imaging is fantastic, and neither is at the expense of details or coherence. Everything just comes together very well 
redface.gif
 with well-recorded jazz/blues tracks, I'd ask for no other DAP. 

In other news, my Jaben X-Batt has been sitting around in the cupboard, since battery life is not a consideration for me. If any would like to get one at a really cheap price, drop me a PM! 

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #5,214 of 6,550

Congrats! I'm rather late to the party, having just grabbed myself an M just over a month ago.

Having tried many DAPs (like the AK120ii, P1, L5Pro, QP1R), I'd glad to report that M very much holds its own: it has a timbre and musicality like no other, staging & imaging is fantastic, and neither is at the expense of details or coherence. Everything just comes together very well 
redface.gif
 with well-recorded jazz/blues tracks, I'd ask for no other DAP. 

In other news, my Jaben X-Batt has been sitting around in the cupboard, since battery life is not a consideration for me. If any would like to get one at a really cheap price, drop me a PM! 

I've had mine for many months...I also have the AK380 +380amp (which has a great UI).I recently took the Calyx M off the shelf (after 4 months of non use) and gave a listen to some DSD files.I enjoyed myself and was happily reminded of why I never parted with it.There is something very musical the sound that puts a smile on face.
Does the X Batt come with a Torx driver to remove the screws on the Calyx M? Otherwise I have to get one...regular phillips screw driver won't work.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #5,215 of 6,550
  I've had mine for many months...I also have the AK380 +380amp (which has a great UI).I recently took the Calyx M off the shelf (after 4 months of non use) and gave a listen to some DSD files.I enjoyed myself and was happily reminded of why I never parted with it.There is something very musical the sound that puts a smile on face.
Does the X Batt come with a Torx driver to remove the screws on the Calyx M? Otherwise I have to get one...regular phillips screw driver won't work.

Oops 
rolleyes.gif
 read that too quickly, my bad. Thought you'd bought both the M and the X-Batt. Glad to know that I'm in good & experienced company then!

Nope, not that I recall. You can actually just use a small flat-head screwdriver - if its the correct size, and you apply the right pressure, it won't round the grooves. Then again, Torx drivers are pretty cheap.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #5,217 of 6,550

Hi BoomBoom12, They are both great and a lot of this would depend on music preference. The 846 is my current IEM and I've listened to the ie800 a few times. The 846's sound is very dependent on cable and tips. This is great because you can tune the sound to your preference (i.e. copper cables are going to be warmer and silver will offer more detail, foam tips bring out the base where olive tips offer more sound stage and highs). This is great for most types of music.

The ie800 sounds really good, more laid back than the 846 and seems to really nuance the Calyx M's sound signature. Although I like the ie800, I never liked the form factor and always felt like they were about to fall out. The ie800 is capable of a wide range, but Rock, Metal, Folk, and slower Electronic sounds great but to my ears Classical was a bit lacking and not as dynamic as the 846.

For the money, you might also consider the Campfire Audio Lyra (dynamic driver similar to the ie800 but an over ear version) or the newer A&K T8ie which to my ears offers better detail and is more forward sounding than the ie800 and a much better form factor.

Or the Campfire Audio Jupiter, which many on head-fi regard as an up grade to the 846.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5,218 of 6,550
I just got my Calyx M and love the sound. Better (to me) than the AK240SS and Hifiman 901S.

The firmware is .96. Should I update it or leave as is? I don't want to jeopardize that sound quality that it has now.

Thanks,
Ken

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #5,220 of 6,550
  I just got my Calyx M and love the sound. Better (to me) than the AK240SS and Hifiman 901S.

The firmware is .96. Should I update it or leave as is? I don't want to jeopardize that sound quality that it has now.

Thanks,
Ken

I've had my M for a few months now. When I received it, the FW version was 1.01, which is current. I've read in this thread that, noticeable SQ improvements were made in Version 1.01. The dilemma is, will you like it more than Version .96? Also, if not, can you revert to .96? I don't know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back