$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 2, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #5,071 of 6,549
I present the delicately named "Calyx M NXT-2AK Dignis Merge Mod". This is incredibly solid and has really increased the usability of the combination. It takes advantage of the cutout hole in the Dignis case. (You knew it had to be there for a reason, right?)

I now use the NXT-2AK with the M and all of my IEMs except the Heaven VI which sounds great without (and when I remove the NXT-2AK, the 3M Dual Lock tape is flush inside the Dignis cutout). The NXT-2AK solves the impedance/distortion issues with the Kaede and my FAD 160Xs, and sounds much better than the M jack. And the M + NXT-2AK + Lab 1 sounds great, even magical, although I ideally would like a bit more bass impact like you get from the PAW Gold. It is a trade-off actually as the M combo has a smoother, more fluid and integrated sound.

Anyway here it is:

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #5,072 of 6,549
  A little late, but I'm on a week now with the Calyx M and 846. I'm using the white filter with Sensaphonics molds. Sound is fantastic!

Actually I only started enjoying the 846 after I got the Calyx M. When driven by my iPod Classic, or by the iPod + The National combo, the 846's bass was muddy and leaky. The M brought detail, definition and tightness to the 846 bass, they form an outstanding pair! The only IEM that made me forget about the SE846 ever since is Noble Audio's K10, so my Shure is now on sale.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #5,073 of 6,549
Were you using Sensaphonic molds? What filter did you finally prefer? I'm waffling between blue and white at the moment.
I have auditioned the K10s but only for a very short time and not with the Calyx.
I'd be interested in the reasoning to move on to the K10 and maybe a little about your music preference.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #5,074 of 6,549
Were you using Sensaphonic molds? What filter did you finally prefer? I'm waffling between blue and white at the moment.
I have auditioned the K10s but only for a very short time and not with the Calyx.
I'd be interested in the reasoning to move on to the K10 and maybe a little about your music preference.

I second that :) I would like to know as well

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #5,075 of 6,549
Well, the K10 are my second pair of CIEMs, the first pair being the Unique Melody Mentor. However, I did not like the V shaped signature of the Mentor, so the 846 was in my ears most of the time, despite the Mentor being much more comfortable (as it is a custom).

What drew me to the K10 were the reviews and the design options. Mine is a Prestige, that is, a CIEM made of wood instead of acrylic (there are other materials avaliable in the Prestige series). The design and the quality of the finish are superb. Here: https://instagram.com/p/14YY_MwjPV/?taken-by=nobleaudio

Regarding the sound, the K10 is not an analytical phone, but rather a very musical one. The bass is not as "in your face" as in the 846. There's definitely less mid-bass, but sub-bass is deep and intense if the music requires it. Treble has excellent extension, and I would say the K10 is on the bright side. I think treble is what sets the K10 apart from the 846, I've never heard cymbals beign so perfectly reproduced on any other phone. But the K10 is not fatiguing at all, and there is no sibilance whatsoever. Unlike the Mentor, the mids are forward in the K10. I have come a long way on the Shure lineup, from the SE530 to the SE535 and then the SE846, and I would say the mids in the K10 are similarly balanced. What impresses me the most in the K10 is that its 10 drivers per side play as if they were a single driver. The crossover is extremely well designed.

What I hear: electronic music (mostly Progressive House), some 60s and 70s Rock (Led and Pink Floyd mostly), Pop, and bands like U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon. No Classical and almost no Jazz.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5,076 of 6,549
My limited experience with the K10 UIEM mirrors your notes above and sounds like we listed to the same music.
I think the Prestige is the way to go. Really nice looking CIEM. The wood CIEM with the Calyx M is a class act. Pictures are always welcomed!

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #5,077 of 6,549
  My limited experience with the K10 UIEM mirrors your notes above and sounds like we listed to the same music.
I think the Prestige is the way to go. Really nice looking CIEM. The wood CIEM with the Calyx M is a class act. Pictures are always welcomed!

Here you go:

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #5,079 of 6,549
Dear all,

My M appears to be dead. Pressing the power button, even for several seconds, does nothing. It doesn't turn on. It consumes power from a portable charger (from Anker), and the last time it was used it had some battery left before being turned off, so I believe there's enough juice for it to power up. Connecting to a PC, it appears to be recognized by Windows 7, because it shows up on the Devices and Printers from Control Panel, but there are no drives associated with it on My Computer. Actually there are 2 items on Devices and Printers: "CalyxM" and "Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 Hub".

Is there anything that I can do before sending it for repair?

Thanks in advance,
Paulo Mario

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #5,080 of 6,549
  Dear all,

My M appears to be dead. Pressing the power button, even for several seconds, does nothing. It doesn't turn on. It consumes power from a portable charger (from Anker), and the last time it was used it had some battery left before being turned off, so I believe there's enough juice for it to power up. Connecting to a PC, it appears to be recognized by Windows 7, because it shows up on the Devices and Printers from Control Panel, but there are no drives associated with it on My Computer. Actually there are 2 items on Devices and Printers: "CalyxM" and "Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 Hub".

Is there anything that I can do before sending it for repair?

Thanks in advance,
Paulo Mario

I was hopping someone would have some suggestions by now. Any update? Is it still not responding?

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,082 of 6,549
PNY 512GB SD card ($399) and Sandisk 200GB microSD ($249) are now on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-512GB-P-SDX512U3H-GE/dp/B00XJRX01M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432800960&sr=1-1&keywords=pny+512gb+sd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You can add 712GB of additional storage to Calyx M, totaling 776GB.

Just going to leave this here.  1TB Calyx M!!!

http://www.cnet.com/news/microdia-will-sell-a-1000-ish-512gb-microsd-come-july/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back