$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Apr 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5,056 of 6,549
Need some feedback on using the Calyx with a Mac/iTunes.
I tried the Calyx M at Axpona last week and really liked the combination of my own 846 and the rep's LCD-XC. Can any Mac users share their experience using the Calyx with a Mac. I know a driver has to be installed. Is this so the Mac recognizes the Android based unit?
What about files that have been tagged in iTunes?
The Fiio X5 had some issues and the idea of re-tagging my whole library just seems daunting.
Really close to pulling the trigger but looking for that final nudge.

May 1, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #5,057 of 6,549
  Need some feedback on using the Calyx with a Mac/iTunes.
I tried the Calyx M at Axpona last week and really liked the combination of my own 846 and the rep's LCD-XC. Can any Mac users share their experience using the Calyx with a Mac. I know a driver has to be installed. Is this so the Mac recognizes the Android based unit?
What about files that have been tagged in iTunes?
The Fiio X5 had some issues and the idea of re-tagging my whole library just seems daunting.
Really close to pulling the trigger but looking for that final nudge.

I didn't have to install any drivers. It works great as a USB DAC in the latest OSX Yosemite. Streams native DSD via DoP in Audirvana+ over the USB. Selectable up to 24bit/384kHz in Audio MIDI Setup. I do have it connected via a Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier, though... but I'm assuming it should be the same when directly plugged into your Mac's USB ports.

I don't use iTunes, but it should work as a USB DAC for iTunes as well. For files on the device itself, not sure about how your iTunes file tagging will sync with the DAP. I've uploaded my files to the device using the Android File Transfer app (the app is only needed to transfer files to the Calyx M's internal 64gb storage), and I browse my files on the device using "folder browsing" view without any issues. I'm used to browsing via folder-view on my RWAK120-B, and the Calyx M's folder browser didn't require me to change much in that regard.

May 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #5,059 of 6,549

Well I was able to get what seemed to be a full charge as indicated on the battery indicator and then went and downloaded the Urgent fix .zip file as instructed as my serial number is effected.  I copied it to my SD card and followed the instructions I found on Jaben's Facebook page.  Unfortunately, I could not get the update to load.  I got to the blue boot screen, apply system update, selected the file but it asks for further command and does not start the update.  Fiddled around and tried several times for 10 mins or so as it was stuck in loop of commands, then I got the dreaded "battery low powering off" alert and the unit shut off.  

So, I was reading a full charge, had the screen on a few minutes and I am right back where I started.  Should I try to install a firmware update first and then go for the update?  I am ready to just send this guy back. You shouldn't have to do all these backflips to get a $1000 DAP to just function.  Meanwhile I am listening to my RWAK while I try to make the Calyx work, and I got this to make my life easier and not have to carry an amp around with me.  Oh, frustration...any ideas from those more technically inclined?

Thanks!

May 1, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5,060 of 6,549

Try to unplug the USB cable and hold down the power button for 5+ seconds. If it still doesn't turn on, plug the USB cable back in and hold down the power button to try and turn it on. I had a similar issue as well, unplugging the USB cable from the charger and holding down the power button fixed it for me.

Did the battery icon w/ a charge symbol show up the first time you tried to turn on the device (or when you first plugged it into the USB outlet/Mac)?

It turns out that I have a defective unit and the distributor for NA got on the phone with me and talked me through everything.  They are going to send me a new unit and exchange the one I have because the battery will not charge for some odd reason.  It was an unknown and likely an isolated issue, so it was handled in person and quickly.  Great support and great service.  I should have a working Calyx M soon enough.  Thanks everyone for offering guidance.

May 9, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #5,061 of 6,549
Is there a new model of this forthcoming? I see a Calyx M being touted on the Moon-Audio website for $1,099, and $100 increase from the price I always thought this was.

May 11, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #5,062 of 6,549
I got the new Calyx M and it works flawlessly and really sounds remarkable, great stereo image and separation. A very warm and musical sound as well, not as linear and literal as the AK240 and RWAK-100S I'm so used too. From the short time I've been able to listen, I prefer it to the Astell&Kern players so far. Time will tell if I end up grabbing it more often in the long run, for now it's going to be my daily driver.

I didn't want to have my earlier post dissuade anyone from the Calyx M. I got a replacement quickly, personal service from On Song Audio the distributor for the US and it's really a great sounding DAP for the money. Now go out and get one!

May 17, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5,064 of 6,549
Looking for a new DAP.. This player is one of the ones on my shortlist.
 Can this player handle multiple  genres? 
I use Squeezeboxes at home and they (the server) handle genres seperated by semi colon like this: Alternative Rock;Live;Swedish;00s  as an example.
That track would show up in the list of the 4 different genres. I find it quite usefull for querying, playing shuffled etc..

This would also require that if you select the genre, you get a list of albums, artists and not a long list of songs.

May 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #5,067 of 6,549
No, there is no Genre handling. If they would finally implement Folder Browsing, it wouldn't matter for me. My folders start at the Genre level. 

The update is really overdue.

(Battery life I do not care about so much. A few hours a day is all I need. I just have to remember to charge whenever I get home.)

May 28, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #5,068 of 6,549
PNY 512GB SD card ($399) and Sandisk 200GB microSD ($249) are now on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-512GB-P-SDX512U3H-GE/dp/B00XJRX01M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432800960&sr=1-1&keywords=pny+512gb+sd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You can add 712GB of additional storage to Calyx M, totaling 776GB.

May 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #5,070 of 6,549
  A little late, but I'm on a week now with the Calyx M and 846. I'm using the white filter with Sensaphonics molds. Sound is fantastic!

me too -- loving every minute of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back