$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,802 of 6,549
Yeah given I intend on keeping the M for a little while I think a battery pack will be a wise purchase. thanks.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #4,804 of 6,549
also can you play the M (with FW1.01) whilst it is charging (from a flat battery)? When the battery goes flat on my M and I plug it in to charge I cannot seem to turn it on and use it until it gets a certain amount of charge. When I do turn it on and it is charging from a flat battery point it just presents the charging screen. thanks.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,806 of 6,549
Well the M jack certainly solves the distortion problem with the Flat-4 KAEDE. All my reference tracks play clean.

Anyone else listening to the M (with jack) and KAEDE? That is one hell of Led Zeppelin rig. Celebration Day is like sitting in the stadium. Big time sound, guys... Huge!

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #4,812 of 6,549
"Both the AK240 and Calyx M had an equal level of control and finesse."
Sure, lots of features less, but also less than half the price.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #4,814 of 6,549
I just received my M a few days ago. It could replace my RWAK120, but it's not an easy decision... My wish list for the M

- place "song number / number of songs in album" between current playtime and duration of song
- when picking an artist do not show all albums in an expanded view. Add an option to the preferences for a "compressed" mode, in which only the list of albums is shown; tapping on an album unfolds the list of songs
- add an option to the preferences to let the user choose how a usb connection is treated; let's say, the M ran out of juice, you plug it in and boot it. Now you want to switch to USB DAC... you can't unless the battery has reached a certain level. The only way I know of to choose the usb connection type is to unplug and plug again, but the M will tell you that battery is too low and shut down automatically. Not good!

I guess that the points mentioned above are easy to solve via firmware upgrades. Do you know how to contact the folks at Calyx / Digital & Analog to highlight those wishes?

Oh and battery life... 3100mAh on the M vs 2350mAh on the AK120. The M plays almost 5h of ALAC with screen off, the AK120 more than 13h. My M does not get warm. Where does all the juice go to? I would assume that this energy has to be dissipated somewhere!

Edit: Interestingly, the Cayin N6 has even a bigger battery (5600mAh) and a similar performance as the M (5-6h). What kind of magic are the guys at AK/river doing to get so much playtime out of their devices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back