$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 2, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #4,756 of 6,549
This is very strange, my only guess is you have a lot of metadata that calyx cannot handle. Solution is load it all on foobar and select all your file and delete the metadata you dont need. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #4,757 of 6,549
other than foobar, r there any other method to remove the metadata, especially using Mac? I can't install any software into the windows laptop as it is company's and I do not have clearance to do any new installations

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #4,758 of 6,549
other than foobar, r there any other method to remove the metadata, especially using Mac? I can't install any software into the windows laptop as it is company's and I do not have clearance to do any new installations

Not that I know off for mac. The annoying thing with mac is most tagging software just write a hidden metadata file that is only accessible on mac, it is not truly editing the metadata.

Foobar is easy to install and remove. All you you got to do is load all your songs on the foobar playlist, select them all, right click and edit metadata. I only keep the fie name, track number, album artist, artist, year and total track and remove the rest.

This is the only solution I can think of and honestly there is a change that it might be an issue internally on your DAP and the above solution might not work at all. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #4,759 of 6,549
thank u audionewbi, I will try later...didn't expect to have so much inconvenience if not I will have stayed away from this player

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,761 of 6,549
Try the portable installation of foobar. From memory it doesn't install anything that way and should work for you. Regarding the firmware I placed mine on my removable storage and then went to settings and update firmware. Mine came with 1.0 pre installed and I only needed to update to 1.01. The funny thing is I can't see how it would matter where you install it from.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #4,762 of 6,549
thank you everyone's kind assistance. I have somehow managed to get the music files recognized and playable. Just keeping my fingers cross & enjoying the music now

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,764 of 6,549
I think this combination (calyxM+lab1) allows listener to be easily immersed into the music. It's melodious and portrays a fair amount of subtle details. Spatially it is nowhere near AK240, the music feels more intimate, closer to listener. I like the spatial depth of the sound. Tonally, every note feels thicker, lushier, more depth and it doesn't feel sluggish nor slow in fast numbers. One feels enveloped by the almost dreamy presentation.
But I still find it somehow veiled, probably due to the lab 1 characteristics. Not that it is not good, it's just that my home audio system is rather different, thus am probably more attuned towards a clean, transparent and yet melodious sonic presentation.
Having said that, I do feel I need to find some higher resolution music to give it a more accurate comment. Currently all my music are on 16/44.1 apple looseless files.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #4,765 of 6,549
Anyone with the Calyx M and LAB1 combo?

When i auditioned the Calyx M and LAB1 it sounds so warm and intimate.
I updated my Calyx M to 1.01 and I did not get that sound, I have been using it as a USB DAC.

Is there any differences in sound in the setup below when paired with the LAB1. I tried to downgrade using the android recovery but failed.

Firmware 1.01 Native
Firmware 1.01 with USB DAC
Firmware 1.0

Regards

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #4,766 of 6,549
I have to say that I have also noticed a marginal decrease in sound quality with the newer firmware. It sounds a little grainier, a little less smooth and musical.

I also found the same thing using the Calyx M as a USB dac. It sounds noticeably worse as a USB dac than it does playing from internal memory.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #4,767 of 6,549
I think that the sound is a little clearer with 1.01. This would be the advertised lower distortion. With the Lab 1 it translates into a little less of that dreamy thickness but greater air. Is this a good or bad thing? Really that is a matter of taste.

Personally I like it... so much so that I am less inclined now to use the Aclear Porta NXT-2AK between the M and the Lab 1. With 1.01, the direct M + Lab 1 combo is sounding rather good to my ears.

Edit: I am talking M as DAP only; I do not use it as a USB DAC so cannot comment on changes.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #4,768 of 6,549
Re: 1.01

In USB mode, I immediately noticed superiority of 1.01 over 0.97 (I skipped 1.0). My speaker system with M and V5 gives very deep 3d images and a superb representation of micro-dynamics. My main dissatisfaction was its less liquid texture (my speaker cable is cheap Canare 2S11). After updating to 1.01 the texture became more liquid and the overall representation became more 'analog' and natural. I think the minimum phase filter of M makes some good synergy with Audirvana when Audirvana's filter is set to zero pre-ringing (M's 1.01 filter has no pre-ringing also). 

In direct mode, the sound signature of 1.01 was consistent to one in USB mode, i.e. more liquid texture and analog signature. But its demerit to 0.97 was that it gave more in-head representation with IEMs (FIBASS). But after about a month, now I feel its representation less in-head, and I'm more satisfied with its sound staging. Maybe it's less out of head than 0.97 but I think 1.01's overall sound is better than 0.97 considering its merits in textures. Maybe my ears adapted to the 1.01 sound. While I have a very strong emphasis on out-of-head representation listening to headphones (you'll see my preference looking at my speakers), the result is satisfactory yet.

So overall I think 1.01 is a good progress from 0.97 (or 1.00, they said 1.00 is same to 0.97 sonically).

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,769 of 6,549
I am on a business trip and I was missing the Aclear Porta last night. Listening to the Police's first album, M + Lab 1 was sounding too dense. Moodier music is a different story though. So I am glad that I own it anyway.

As winner combinations go, the M + Heaven VI always sounds good just as it is. It is one of the great versatile combinations out there.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,770 of 6,549
I received it a couple of hours ago but since then wasn't able to turn it on. I thought maybe the battery is empty so I am charging it for more than two hours straight away. Nothing happened since then. When I connect the usb cable the calyx logo appears and soon afterwards it disappears completely and is just off. I am not able to turn it on with the power button...
Should the unit be charged before first use ?

How do I enter firmwareupdate mode ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back