$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 25, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #4,592 of 6,549

Is there any news on how to get the M-jack in U.S.?  
I've been listening my M solely with UM1 as I was away from home. Now as I got back and tried pairing it with my F111 for the first time, the distortion is so freaking bad. Adding a 33ohm impedance adapter is not solving the issue as well. Seems like it's not purely an impedance matching issue as my TDK BA200 at 35ohm is also suffering,to a lesser extend. Seems like the M-jack might be the only solution to all this.  

Did you buy your M in the U.S.? If yes, then contact Chris Zainea (chriszainea<at>gmail<dot>com).

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #4,593 of 6,549

Is there any news on how to get the M-jack in U.S.?  
I've been listening my M solely with UM1 as I was away from home. Now as I got back and tried pairing it with my F111 for the first time, the distortion is so freaking bad. Adding a 33ohm impedance adapter is not solving the issue as well. Seems like it's not purely an impedance matching issue as my TDK BA200 at 35ohm is also suffering,to a lesser extend. Seems like the M-jack might be the only solution to all this.  

Contact this guy chriszainea@gmail.com. He will help you. He is the official distro of Calyx in US.

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,594 of 6,549
I don't know if it's the new FW or something else, but it seems that battery life of my M ( 4 months old) is became much shorter. Like 2.5 hours FLAC files.
I don't like it at all. I am going to test it one more time and if it's true, I will contact the seller.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #4,596 of 6,549
So I demo'd a set of hd800's today, as I am considering getting some full sized cans. Demo'd them with an Oppo amp (about $1800). I liked them. Then just before leaving I plugged them directly into the M thinking that the outcome would be terrible. But they actually sounded great direct from the M with the high impedance setting. What, am I crazy?

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4,597 of 6,549
But they actually sounded great direct from the M with the high impedance setting. What, am I crazy?

Because HD800's impedance is over 300 ohms and it is a single driver unit, it is not a very difficult load for an amp if voltage swing is sufficient. M's output voltage swing (1.2V) can be insufficient to drive high impedance cans if they are inefficient. But if you can get a sufficient volume, I think you get a good chance to have a good result.

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #4,598 of 6,549

Because HD800's impedance is over 300 ohms and it is a single driver unit, it is not a very difficult load for an amp if voltage swing is sufficient. M's output voltage swing (1.2V) can be insufficient to drive high impedance cans if they are inefficient. But if you can get a sufficient volume, I think you get a good chance to have a good result.

Thanks for the clear and concise explanation. I am pretty sure I had solid volume out of the HD800's with the volume slider at about half way.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4,600 of 6,549
I have received my m-jack today. As far as i can tell, the distortions of the dynamic bass drivers of the AKG K3003 are gone.

I have no audiophil ears, so i cant tell if the overall SQ has significantly changed with the adapter. I am very pleased with this little helper, no i can enjoy my K3003.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,604 of 6,549
I'm really liking my Calyx M.  The sound quality is great and the M is able to drive of all of my headphones no problem even my 600 Ohm Beyer T1s (however the volume needs to be raised to about 50%).  The 24/96 FLAC download of the Eagles Hotel California from hdtracks sounds sweet with the T1/M combo especially on songs like the title track, New Kid in Town and Try and Love Again.  I also like the Android based user interface which is easy to navigate.  I'd be curious to hear from other head-fi members that have tried other DAPs and the M to see how the M ranks vs. the Fiio X5, Hifiman HM-901, and the new Astell & Kern models. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #4,605 of 6,549
For me sound wise the M is on pair with AK240, definitely better when AK100, AK120 and X5. Never tried HM-901 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back